Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help pick my house color Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-04 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: Help pick my house color

As many of you know by following the Money Pit thread that we're totally rebuilding our house.

While I'm not color blind I have a hard time telling what colors "go with each other".  And my wife is afraid to make the wrong decision so if I left it to here it would all be white like the original.

Here is the house currently and before:

http://i.imgur.com/8GawI1m.jpg

So we need to chose a new paint color for the siding (the yellow is the primer color of the hardy board we installed in place of the vinyl siding, it's not staying yellow). The brick will be the brick shown in the inset.

Going to keep the columns and window trim white (vinyl windows so no choice there).  Looking for a nice body color that will not look so plain as the white. Problem is we need to paint NOW before the brick goes up (it's a LOT easier to do it now).

So pick us a color you creative people.  However, we reserve the right to tell you your color selection stinks and to not use it

2013-06-04 4:12 PM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Help pick my house color

It's really hard to NOT suggest yellow at this point. I actually like the combo. I might pick a slightly softer yellow, but not sunnier.

Here's a nice yellow (really pale) with some brick trim:

http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/0/g/s/YellowPrairieFlickrRoaroftheFour.jpg

Would you consider painting the brick? I have suggestions, but all are better with a painted brick.

2013-06-04 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Can it be anything you want?  No HOA restrictions?

I think an olive green instead of yellow would be nice.  Maybe a little lighter, like a split pea/exorcist vomit color...  Those earth tones look good here - like a pine green, sandstone, or kahki...

Different region though, but it still might work.

Edited by Kido 2013-06-04 4:35 PM
2013-06-04 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

It's really hard to NOT suggest yellow at this point. I actually like the combo. I might pick a slightly softer yellow, but not sunnier.

Here's a nice yellow (really pale) with some brick trim:

http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/0/g/s/YellowPrairieFlickrRoaroftheFour.jpg

Would you consider painting the brick? I have suggestions, but all are better with a painted brick.

Would not paint the brick.  We like the brick colors. 

I'm not a huge fan of yellow. Sorry.

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-06-04 4:55 PM
2013-06-04 4:54 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Originally posted by Kido

I think an olive green instead of yellow would be nice.  Maybe a little lighter, like a split pea/exorcist vomit color...  Those earth tones look good here - like a pine green, sandstone, or kahki...

Nope, no HOA.  I could paint it orange if I wanted...

I'm leaning towards mossy green as well.  Maybe with black shutters (non functional).  Keeping the white trim and columns.

But I'm still looking for suggestions.

2013-06-04 4:57 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Mossy green was going to be my next suggestion.  The brick color is pretty limiting, unless you wanted to do outrageous.

2013-06-04 4:57 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by TriRSquared
Originally posted by Kido

Nope, no HOA.  I could paint it orange if I wanted...

I'm leaning towards mossy green as well.  Maybe with black shutters (non functional).  Keeping the white trim and columns.

But I'm still looking for suggestions.

That's the direction I would go.  Probably not a stark white for the trim.  A cream or bone would be a bit nicer/softer but still look white against the rest of the house.

2013-06-04 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Have you considered a lighter, maybe eggshell or off-white or light gray color for the house then a darker gray, perhaps for the trim? That would give it contrast and depth. Our neighbor growing up had that scheme and I always thought their house looked classy.
2013-06-04 5:15 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Elite
Boise
I vote for the bumblebee look

But seriously don't ask me.
2013-06-04 6:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
I am purchasing a new home and we need to pick siding colors also.

I like the following colors in the chart on the right of this page:

http://www.certainteed.com/products/vinyl-siding/horizontal-siding/...

Seagrass: third row, 5th from left - black shutter
Flagstone: second row, first tile - maybe a dark blue shutter
Savannah Wicker: third row, fourth tile - deep red shutter or black
2013-06-04 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Central Mass
Hardie board. By the James Hardie corporation.

White is perfect, but...

Option 1: Yarmouth Oyster by California Paints http://www.californiapaints.com/content/color-details/Yarmouth-Oyst...
Toss in their Cogsworth Cedar and Britches as accents (or take out the cedar/red because of the bricks).

Option 2: Montpelier Peach by Valspar
Olive Suade as an accent.

Add shutters.

2013-06-04 9:26 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I like this kind of thread! and even all the suggestions! i think with such a classic looking home, it is hard to go "wrong". Looking at the brick clooseup photo, I think the neutral dusty greens would accent the variations well. How about "britches"?http://www.californiapaints.com/content/color-details/Britches/1198.aspxMy house is brick with about 5 colors ranging from a terra cotta to a burnt red. We decided to go blue, and I thought that would be like a deep navy with a blue gray. With my Caribbean husband's influence, we have trim that is periwinkle and deep deep royal blue. It has grown on me, and whenever someone comments, I say, "this was the compromise color" in such a deadpan way that they shut up.
2013-06-05 12:22 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

We used certainteed concrete siding and it has been GREAT. We have darker brick with a light green siding, and matching  shutters with black "hardware" (not installed in this pic). We're happy with it.

Edited by moondawg14 2013-06-05 12:24 AM
2013-06-05 9:42 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Seems like we're all leaning towards similar ideas.  A friend sent this one and we really like it.

I think we'll end up adding some decorative shutters or such on the sides of the windows to allow us to add the dark brown accent color.  The roof of the porches will also be this darker color.

2013-06-05 12:15 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I like that ivory/cream and brown combo and I think it would look great with your roof color as well.

We did a similar color in our living room at our previous house where we had a huge brick wall as our wood-stove surround. It turned out great (cream walls, white trim, brown couches)! I think it is a very classic color combo that doesn't get 'stale' or look dated over time.
2013-06-05 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Seems like we're all leaning towards similar ideas.  A friend sent this one and we really like it.

I think we'll end up adding some decorative shutters or such on the sides of the windows to allow us to add the dark brown accent color.  The roof of the porches will also be this darker color.

Isn't that yellow?

2013-06-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Beijing

Isn't that yellow?

If that's showing up as yellow, you might need to adjust the color temperature (and the tint) on your monitor.

It's ivory.

2013-06-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Isn't that yellow?

No it's a cream beige...

2013-06-06 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

I am a Registered Landscape Architect with 22 years experience in the design field.

This photo/ house look awesome but I want to ask/ point out a couple of things.

1) brick - your choice and the photo are two different ranges of brick color and different mortar colors. the photo has white pointing and leans more to a white ash color in the brick - yours has gray pointing and leans on the orange/ red to black range. The house in the photo looks great because of the white trim and cream are picking up the "white" color range in the brick - which at the moment you do not have.

2) will you be changing the shingles on the house or will they stay that "barky brown" color? If you change them out go with a more charcoal gray color.

3) based on brick color chosen, I would do the following and stay in a warm earth tone range:
- do a lighter pointing on the brick [this will lighten the color range of the brick]
- all trim should be white or at the very least lighter than the base color of the house ALWAYS!!! If you don't... the trim work will "outline" your house.
- the main color should be in a light to med tone of warm gray [think light reddish gray]. I like the cream but I think it will be too "yellow" next to the brick wall sample. I suggest paint 2'x2' pieces of plywood the colors you like and put them next to the sample wall to see if you like the colors together.
- underside/ ceiling's on balcony and portico can be either white or a dark brown [color to match darker range of brick] like the photo.
- remove existing guardrail on the balcony and do similar to the photo - run the guardrail panels between the columns and not in front. [I like the top rail being dk. brown so that it matches the underside of the balcony ceilings] and the remainder of the guardrail white.
- remove the dividers on the inside of the windows so you only see the outer frame work of the two halves of the window
- shutter should match either shingles [charcoal color] or underside ceilings [dk brown]

P.S. I tend to stay in the Historic Color section of Benjamin Moore paints.

P.S.S. If you wanted to get funky do all of the dk brown noted above in a VERY dark green [just a couple of shades lighter than black]

Edited by bullyboy 2013-06-06 3:45 PM

(litchfield_gray.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
litchfield_gray.jpg (1KB - 22 downloads)
2013-06-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: bullyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
a sample color scheme

(colors.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
colors.jpg (88KB - 27 downloads)
2013-06-07 11:41 AM
in reply to: bullyboy

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Originally posted by bullyboy

I am a Registered Landscape Architect with 22 years experience in the design field. This photo/ house look awesome but I want to ask/ point out a couple of things. 1) brick - your choice and the photo are two different ranges of brick color and different mortar colors. the photo has white pointing and leans more to a white ash color in the brick - yours has gray pointing and leans on the orange/ red to black range. The house in the photo looks great because of the white trim and cream are picking up the "white" color range in the brick - which at the moment you do not have. 2) will you be changing the shingles on the house or will they stay that "barky brown" color? If you change them out go with a more charcoal gray color. 3) based on brick color chosen, I would do the following and stay in a warm earth tone range: - do a lighter pointing on the brick [this will lighten the color range of the brick] - all trim should be white or at the very least lighter than the base color of the house ALWAYS!!! If you don't... the trim work will "outline" your house. - the main color should be in a light to med tone of warm gray [think light reddish gray]. I like the cream but I think it will be too "yellow" next to the brick wall sample. I suggest paint 2'x2' pieces of plywood the colors you like and put them next to the sample wall to see if you like the colors together. - underside/ ceiling's on balcony and portico can be either white or a dark brown [color to match darker range of brick] like the photo. - remove existing guardrail on the balcony and do similar to the photo - run the guardrail panels between the columns and not in front. [I like the top rail being dk. brown so that it matches the underside of the balcony ceilings] and the remainder of the guardrail white. - remove the dividers on the inside of the windows so you only see the outer frame work of the two halves of the window - shutter should match either shingles [charcoal color] or underside ceilings [dk brown] P.S. I tend to stay in the Historic Color section of Benjamin Moore paints. P.S.S. If you wanted to get funky do all of the dk brown noted above in a VERY dark green [just a couple of shades lighter than black]

Thanks.  yes the mortar on the brick sample insert was just what they used.  We will use a more white mortar.

That guardrail is coming down.  I hate it outside the columns like that.  I agree with painting it darker.

"remove the dividers on the inside of the windows so you only see the outer frame work of the two halves of the window"

You mean the mullions on the windows?  Can't.  These are hurricane windows and the mullions are between the pieces of glass.

Sounds like we're somewhat on the same page.  Thanks for the advice...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help pick my house color Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help Me Pick a Laptop For My Wife.

Started by CKinsey
Views: 2007 Posts: 22

2008-05-08 8:19 PM CKinsey

Help pick my new logo design Pages: 1 2

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1628 Posts: 34

2007-12-28 5:30 PM TH3_FRB

Help me pick my wedding song Pages: 1 2

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1571 Posts: 29

2007-08-23 8:33 AM DTraub

Help me pick 10yr anniversary work gift

Started by auto208562
Views: 1334 Posts: 14

2006-06-12 10:43 AM bmacmanus

Help me pick a new cell phone

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1737 Posts: 24

2013-06-05 4:53 PM rick4657
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.