General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Clubs NYC/Brooklyn Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-05 8:28 AM

Subject: Tri Clubs NYC/Brooklyn
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some tri clubs in the Brooklyn/NYC area. I am training with a friend but we also wanted to join a club. The issue is that she lives in Manhattan and I in Brooklyn. We are trying to find a team with workouts in both areas since it isn't accessible for either of us to travel that often. A team that is low-cost and beginner friendly (like Brooklyn Tri) is ideal! Any ideas? Does such a team exist?

2013-06-06 6:07 AM
in reply to: AR_UC86

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Tri Clubs NYC/Brooklyn
Originally posted by AR_UC86

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some tri clubs in the Brooklyn/NYC area. I am training with a friend but we also wanted to join a club. The issue is that she lives in Manhattan and I in Brooklyn. We are trying to find a team with workouts in both areas since it isn't accessible for either of us to travel that often. A team that is low-cost and beginner friendly (like Brooklyn Tri) is ideal! Any ideas? Does such a team exist?

Brooklyn tri does group rides over to 9W, but I think those are the only non-Brooklyn workouts or events. Even with that, it's a great club because, as you noted, it's relatively inexpensive and is very beginner-friendly. Something like 1/3 of the membership has done 3 tris or less. Its definitely a "you get out what you put into it" kind of club. There are lots of opportunities to train with really fast people and great coaches, or you can just hang out and socialize with a bunch of cool, like-minded people.
2013-06-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

Awesome- thanks for the info, I'm definitely strongly leaning to Bk tri. Sounds like you're in it? If so can I ask you if there's a good range in pace among the membership? I ask because I'm in a running club and none of the 9+ minute per mile runners ever show up for the workouts so I find myself running alone at group workouts! If it's more beginners I'm guessing there are some slower folks around...?

Thanks!
2013-06-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: AR_UC86

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by AR_UC86

Awesome- thanks for the info, I'm definitely strongly leaning to Bk tri. Sounds like you're in it? If so can I ask you if there's a good range in pace among the membership? I ask because I'm in a running club and none of the 9+ minute per mile runners ever show up for the workouts so I find myself running alone at group workouts! If it's more beginners I'm guessing there are some slower folks around...?

Thanks!

Definitely! I've been a member for about five years. The first thing the former club president said to me when I was asking about joining was "some of us are very fast; some of us are very slow."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Clubs NYC/Brooklyn Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Masters swimming clubs NYC

Started by Jrdimaur
Views: 1335 Posts: 3

2011-11-09 11:10 AM Jrdimaur

Triathlon Clubs in NYC

Started by jerzenativ
Views: 6238 Posts: 13

2011-12-09 1:17 PM Carl_V

NYC Tri Clubs

Started by lasvegas
Views: 7175 Posts: 24

2010-01-24 2:26 PM ithinkcreatively

Running Clubs in NYC

Started by ering305
Views: 1150 Posts: 3

2009-07-14 9:35 AM jmk-brooklyn

NYC Triathlon/Cycling club

Started by Rmaldon240
Views: 2158 Posts: 2

2010-02-15 9:35 PM td5500
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.