World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 13m 51s
Overall Rank = 860/2345
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 173/392
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 3ish, ate a bonk bar, drank 2 cups of coffee and went through my gear again. John showed up 4ish and we rode over to the event, parked, set up our bike-to-run transitions and hoped on the bus to the start. Got word that the race was wetsuit legal but had no wetsuit and ready to swim without. Got T1 settled and went to the start. Chatted with a few folks, watched the pros shove off and with a start of 7:22 didn't need to wait long to begin the race.
Event warmup:

None. Jumped in the water and got my head under a few times.
Swim
  • 46m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Right about where I thought I would be. Got washed over by chop a few times and definitely drifted wide between a couple of buoys, but was able to keep a nice steady rhythm going. The swim did seem to take forever for me and I didn't think I'd ever see the 2nd turn buoy.
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

Uneventful. Moved a little slower than I could have due to after swim wobbles.
Bike
  • 3h 28m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I was following a strategy I read online for success in a first 70.3 that focused on using heart-rate to reduce the likelihood of a blow up on the run so I had my watch set to display heart rate prominently and focused on keeping it close to and under 140. I was SLOW and passed relentlessly during the early part of the bike and was slow and passed less frequently during the later portion of the bike only because everyone fast had already passed me. Crowds on the bike were awesome and some friends showed up several times on the course giving me a big boost. I was wearing an Athens Cycling Jersey and got a lot of shout-outs for Athens and Ohio. Felt really good the whole ride and was able to eat and hydrate well. I was worried about a flat or other issue, but had no mechanical issues with my 1986 Peugeot - "triathlon" model.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I'll go faster. I left too much on the table, but I would definitely recommend this strategy to someone else doing a 70.3 for the first time because it did result and a race where I never bonked and was able to finish strong.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Hopped off the bike and headed to my gear. Family was there to surprise me as I didn't think I'd see them until the run course. So good to see them and give each a hug and a kiss as I set off on the run.
Run
  • 1h 51m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good heading out, but kept it under control for the first couple miles. Saw more friends on Hillsborough street and under the tunnel after turning into Meredith. Have never felt more supported in a race by all the folks out there and the many spectators I saw on the course that I knew. I was now passing back huge numbers of people that had passed me on the bike and was one of just a few others I saw running (albeit at a slow pace) up all the hills at the Art museum. It was HOT. Poured water over my head and drank a water and sports drink at every station. Also threw a bunch of ice in my Jersey when ice was available.
What would you do differently?:

I couldn't get rid of the feeling in the back of my head that a cramp was going to strike at any moment even though it never did. I felt so good at the end that I wish I had pushed it a little bit more.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Caution. I was super cautious out there on the bike and a little too cautious on the run.

Event comments:

Fantastic race. Well organized and supported. Proud of Raleigh and all the enthusiastic support that was out there on the course. Grateful for the friends and family that came out to support me. Look forward to doing it again.

Last updated: 2012-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:50 | 2112 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 209/392
Overall: 1096/2345
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:27
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:28:41 | 56 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 282/392
Overall: 1479/2345
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling Hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:51:59 | 13.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/392
Overall: 205/2345
Performance: Good
Course: Flatish to some serious hills back to flatish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-05 9:22 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

2013-06-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4767283

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
Definitely a smart strategy. Nice run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 1570 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 3:08 PM enders_shadow

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1202 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 9:16 AM La Tortuga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1855 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 11:12 PM Chunga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1507 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:40 PM tarheeltri

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1427 Posts: 4

2013-06-03 5:24 PM tarheeltri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.