Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Welland Half Iron Bike Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-05 3:24 PM

Subject: Welland Half Iron Bike Course
I was out doing the Welland Half Iron bike course last weekend and there was one spot of gravel, only maybe 4-5 feet long, but it really sneaks up on you. I can't remember where exactly it was but wanted to let people know. Has anyone else been out to the course and seen this? I will try and find out exactly where it was later this week.

Cheers,
Ender

Edited by Enderwiggan 2013-06-05 3:25 PM

2013-06-10 4:21 PM
in reply to: Enderwiggan

Veteran
London, Ontario
Subject: RE: Welland Half Iron Bike Course
Ender, I am not sure how to respond given that you are not sure where this stretch is.

I can tell you that we check all of the bike courses at the various races in the spring and again about 10 days out from a race. In the case of Welland that will be this week. I am sure we will find it when we do the review.

You indicate the stretch is 4 or 5 feet long. How wide is it? If it is narrow we would cone it, post warning signs and spray paint warnings on the road leading to the section. If is requires patching because it is the width of the road we would do our best to have the local Works Dept do a repair. We do have a good relationship with the Works Department in that area and they have responded quickly in the past.

Thanks for the heads up. I would humbly suggest that with posts of some concern it is always a good idea to include a reasonable amount of detail so a proper response can be posted.
2013-06-10 4:51 PM
in reply to: John Salt

Regular
Toronto, ON
Also, a direct email to the race organizers might be a good idea.
2013-06-11 6:44 AM
in reply to: fishwallop

Veteran
London, Ontario
Yeah, that too.

Thanks for pointing that out and excellent suggestion Fishwallop. More and more people post to forums and Facebook as if it was a way to directly communicate with a race director or series. While I think discussions on forums are a good thing, if you want the direct answer or want to let us know of something where we need to take action, then please send an email. In the case of our series the best email is [email protected].
2013-06-12 4:34 PM

Veteran
London, Ontario
We have searched the course and found the area requiring attention. We have been in touch with the Haldimand Works and hope they pave. In the meantime here is an excerpt from an email from Jim Sunners. Jim lives in the area and is one of our top Elite Age Group athletes at 50 years of age. As I stated in an earlier post we will mark all sections that could cause a safety issue and keep following with the Works Department. here are Jim's comments. Thanks Jim!

John, (feel free to publish any of my comments)

I rode the bike course today. It is in great shape. There are only a couple of sections that triathletes need to pay a little more attention to -

The first section 'out and back' from transition is a little rough, like it always is. There are some cracks that run the same direction as the road, close to the edge of the roadway and some pot-holes.

At about the 5 km mark, the rail crossing just before the small bridge over the canal is a little rough. I stayed in the aero bars over it and found it to be ok. Going off the aero bars is probably a wise move for most athletes. The other rail crossings on the course are really good.

At the 22 km mark, (just before the turn from Feeder Rd to Hutchinson Rd) there is a large 'pot-hole' near the road edge on Feeder Rd.

At the 32 km mark, a trenching cut across the roadway has been filled and is gravel. It is about a metre wide and didn't present any problems to me.

Diltz Rd is a little rough and bumpy. It is still ok on the aero bars but requires a little more attention.

It should be a fast day.
2013-06-13 2:45 PM

Thanks John. Looks like the recon mission was succesful! and I appreciate the quick response. I can confirm all of Jim's comments but didn't notice the pot hole on feeder, probably because feeder feels like a jet laneway and I was hammering Thx again and see everyone in 2 weeks. It really is a beautiful course. (fingers crossed we don't have the 40km winds I had a few weekends ago)

2013-06-17 11:05 AM

Veteran
London, Ontario
We have been told that the section in questions will be patched before race day. They are only patching because the entire road will be repaved!!! You have to like that for 2014
2013-06-24 9:23 AM

Veteran
Niagara Region
The course was in GREAT shape for the bike race.

As I live in the area there can be stones and some glass on the course. So I was impressed to see the entire course being swept with a giant rotating broom the day before.

Now if you could talk to mother nature and have her kill the heat on the run I would be happy. :-)
2013-06-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: berndog

Veteran
London, Ontario
Berndog,

Thanks for noticing and taking the time to comment on here.

You know, we called mother nature all week and she never returned our calls.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Welland Half Iron Bike Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Welland Half Iron Pages: 1 2

Started by Tdotnew2tri
Views: 4243 Posts: 35

2012-07-11 11:32 AM juniperjen

Pro Lime-Up In Welland Half Iron Triathlon

Started by John Salt
Views: 1016 Posts: 1

2011-06-22 8:53 PM John Salt

Welland Half Iron Weekend and Tri Du Entry Update

Started by John Salt
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2011-06-21 8:04 AM John Salt

Welland Half Iron 2011

Started by parichitb
Views: 2497 Posts: 14

2011-07-01 10:47 AM mgalanter

Multisport HIM in Welland

Started by DaveH
Views: 1735 Posts: 8

2010-01-02 9:38 PM tryingie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 11
Triathlon traning programs and plans from sprints and olympics to 1/2 and full Ironmans