General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-06 7:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon
If I'm not mistaken, you're one of the safe ones. Should you get into such a situation, I'm about 99%+ positive you would know

Your partner would also probably have words for you

Edited by DanielG 2013-06-06 7:43 PM

2013-06-06 7:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ahhhhh maaaaaan, I hope this doesn't happen to me!!!!!!! Smile

How do you know it hasn't?

2013-06-06 8:30 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
At nearly 38 weeks pregnant right now, I cannot even fathom how this is possible. Here child must not be active. I am convinced my little guy is doing an Ironman at least once a week, and training hard the rest of it. Not to mention all the crazy things he's done to my body! I just cannot even fathom not knowing...and her baby was still decent weight. Craziness.
2013-06-06 9:55 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Master
Originally posted by Daffodil

Originally posted by Blanda

I wonder if the baby was a mellow one in her belly. My last two did back flips and such in mine. Seeing a body part move from one side of my belly to the other, and the round house kicks to my bladder would have had me suspicious, at least. Wonder how tall she is. I'm pretty short. Not much room for hiding out in secret for too long. Pretty neat though to be able to get through 9 months without all the anxiety and waiting!

I'm 5'9 and all body (I have seriously short legs). 32 weeks pregnant and if you were to look at my belly right now there woudl be no question that there is a baby moving inside it (seriously, what the hell is it doing in there?) I look less pregnant than friends due after me that are shorter, but definitely look pregnant now.

So, see? Really must have just been in total denial, having total faith in the V. Just chalked all the discomforts up to a big lunch and bad gas, I suppose.
2013-06-07 1:31 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by Blanda I wonder if the baby was a mellow one in her belly. My last two did back flips and such in mine. Seeing a body part move from one side of my belly to the other, and the round house kicks to my bladder would have had me suspicious, at least. Wonder how tall she is. I'm pretty short. Not much room for hiding out in secret for too long. Pretty neat though to be able to get through 9 months without all the anxiety and waiting!

I saw an interview with her this morning.  Couple of interesting notes...

• Evidently her first two kids were very active in her belly -- this one was indeed much more mellow
  • She believes that the run training she was doing kept her weight even during the pregnancy -- basically just shifted weight from her to the baby.  (Obviously this doesn't happen all the time but my wife actually lost weight during all 3 of her pregnancies so it does happen)
  • As mentioned above, her husband had had a vasectomy -- so pregnancy was not top of mind
  • She didn't mention this, but it's possible that she attributed some of her other pregnancy symptoms to the effects of marathon training

2013-06-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Hoos

Originally posted by Blanda I wonder if the baby was a mellow one in her belly. My last two did back flips and such in mine. Seeing a body part move from one side of my belly to the other, and the round house kicks to my bladder would have had me suspicious, at least. Wonder how tall she is. I'm pretty short. Not much room for hiding out in secret for too long. Pretty neat though to be able to get through 9 months without all the anxiety and waiting!

• Evidently her first two kids were very active in her belly -- this one was indeed much more mellow
  • She believes that the run training she was doing kept her weight even during the pregnancy -- basically just shifted weight from her to the baby.  (Obviously this doesn't happen all the time but my wife actually lost weight during all 3 of her pregnancies so it does happen)
  • As mentioned above, her husband had had a vasectomy -- so pregnancy was not top of mind
  • She didn't mention this, but it's possible that she attributed some of her other pregnancy symptoms to the effects of marathon training

Dude, why are you in denial? ;P

And, FTR, as a woman who gained a ridiculous amount of weight with all three babies, your wife is a complete enigma to me!

2013-06-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Hoos

if you shift weight from you to baby your body changes and in fact would make the presence of another HUMAN BEING more obvious.
Having had 2 full term pregnancies and 4 others that unfortunately ranged from 10-16 weeks before they ended I cannot imagine not knowing.
2013-06-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by switch 

And, FTR, as a woman who gained a ridiculous amount of weight with all three babies, your wife is a complete enigma to me!

Actual conversation with our veterinarian...

• Wife:  "Oh, by the way, our dogs are going to have a playmate soon -- we're having a baby!"
  • Vet:  "Congratulations!  When?"
  • Wife:  "In a couple of weeks."
  • Vet:  (awkwardly)  "Oh...Are you adopting?"

Now -- in fairness -- all the other signs were there in spades (lots of kicking).  But there's a pretty broad range of experiences out there.   Given about 4 million US births a year -- you're bound to get a few cases at the far ends of the bell curve.

2013-06-07 12:13 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ahhhhh maaaaaan, I hope this doesn't happen to me!!!!!!! Smile

How do you know it hasn't?

Perhaps Mary Cain belongs to me!?!?!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Surprising things that make me happy in tri training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 603 Posts: 1

2012-10-24 9:36 PM agarose2000

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1374 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

Importance to you of having a nice pool or OWS place to train in

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1626 Posts: 17

2010-05-28 4:07 PM agarose2000

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1842 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Marathon Training - Having to take a week off

Started by bkfitz
Views: 5154 Posts: 12

2007-08-27 8:15 PM bkfitz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : March 30, 2011
comments : 8
A woman trains for and achieves her goal to do an almost 3 hour Olympic triathlon in her 50th year
date : November 23, 2010
author : yaroslaski
comments : 9
I started training for triathlons in my early 20's but never entered one. Twenty years later found me still a newbie, with many extra pounds, much more humility and a healthy dose of reality.

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.