General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-06 7:29 AM

User image

Subject: Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon
http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/woman-surprise-birth-training-marath...

A woman in training for a marathon goes into labor with a baby she didn't know she was carrying.

2013-06-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon

Wow. 

She addresses exactly what I was thinking which is "BS, there's no way you're pregnant and don't know.  Especially if you've been pregnant before." 

Denial is a powerful thing.

2013-06-06 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just don't understand how some go through a pregnancy without knowing. My wife said she could feel hiccups and all the moving. These stories you usually hear are when the woman is morbidly obese x2. She doesn't look it. Interesting story.
2013-06-06 7:49 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by GAUG3 I just don't understand how some go through a pregnancy without knowing. My wife said she could feel hiccups and all the moving. These stories you usually hear are when the woman is morbidly obese x2. She doesn't look it. Interesting story.

x2.  Unless you are obese and completely out of tune with your body I just don't see "not knowing"....

2013-06-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by GAUG3 I just don't understand how some go through a pregnancy without knowing. My wife said she could feel hiccups and all the moving. These stories you usually hear are when the woman is morbidly obese x2. She doesn't look it. Interesting story.

there is an ENTIRE tv show dedicated to these kind of stories.  i have trouble believing them too...i could tell that i was pregnant before i hit 6 weeks.

2013-06-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

First of all: Awwwww! Did you see that sweet baby???

Every pregnancy is different, every woman carries different. I had no baby bump- I was HUGE everywhere.  Yes, I definitely knew I was pregnant.

As far a news woman saying she would be to tired to drive down road, she's still working, right? I was super active and strong all the way through my pregnancies, even a huge as I was I could have jogged a few days before & came home and picked up right where I left off(activity wise)

How awesome would it have been not to have known you were pregnant and just pop a baby out? Mine took FOR EVER!!

2013-06-06 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
All of the other obvious (or one would think) symptoms aside... runners? Really? Has no one noticed that they are the most uptight, easily-freaked-out-at-every-niggle-especially-right-before-a-race-call-doctor-google-and-find-out-WTF-is-wrong-my-running-career-and-consequently-life-is-over group of people on the planet?

I do see those stories about chicks who had no idea, and while somewhat skeptical, I can typically give most the benefit of the doubt. This one... I don't even get it.

2013-06-06 9:11 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by Meljoypip

First of all: Awwwww! Did you see that sweet baby???

Every pregnancy is different, every woman carries different. I had no baby bump- I was HUGE everywhere.  Yes, I definitely knew I was pregnant.

As far a news woman saying she would be to tired to drive down road, she's still working, right? I was super active and strong all the way through my pregnancies, even a huge as I was I could have jogged a few days before & came home and picked up right where I left off(activity wise)

How awesome would it have been not to have known you were pregnant and just pop a baby out? Mine took FOR EVER!!

The longest 9 1/2 months of my life. I remember being so depressed and my husband saying, "You can't be pregnant forever." I didn't believe him.

I don't understand how someone of normal size could not know.

2013-06-06 9:27 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

New user
Key West
Originally posted by jldicarlo

x2.  Unless you are obese and completely out of tune with your body I just don't see "not knowing"....

Exactly! Although I have to admit when I got pregnant at 22 y.o. without benefit of marriage, I ignored the obvious signs for 3 months since there was absolutely no way (she says tongue in cheek) that I could be pregnant. But, I knew my body had changed and really knew I was pregnant before I went to doctor for the pregnancy test (olden days before home tests). So, I don't buy that someone who is fit enough to be training for a marathon and had a baby before and is not a child, can't figure out something is going on with their body and check it out. The problem with not knowing, is that they obviously didn't take prenatal vitamins and may have been engaging in other harmful activity for their baby. Crazy.
2013-06-06 9:47 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Melon Presser

I've seen the shows/read the stories and some of them seemed legit. But still--I mean--really?

Until it happened to a friend of mine! She wasn't an athlete but was always very active, slim and such. I saw photos of her within three months of her delivery and she looked normal!

She had always had an irregular cycle, and she had apparently had some breakthrough bleeding during her pregnancy which she mistook for periods.

ONE WEEK before she delivered, she went to the doctor because she was having stomach pains and was unusually bloated (I'll say!) Talk about a surprise. And yes, she was that far along, the baby was not premature, and while he was small when born (just under 6lb) not abnormally so, especially since she's Indonesian and pretty tiny herself.

2013-06-06 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by DanielG http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/woman-surprise-birth-training-marath... A woman in training for a marathon goes into labor with a baby she didn't know she was carrying.

My system blocked that link so I'm not sure if that story gives the extra punchline, but the one I read does: 

http://www.yardbarker.com/other_sports/articles/msn/woman_unaware_of_pregnancy_gives_birth_during_training_for_half_marathon/13768625

Punchline being, her husband had a vasectomy.  No wonder she never suspected she was knocked up!

2013-06-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by switch

Wow. 

She addresses exactly what I was thinking which is "BS, there's no way you're pregnant and don't know.  Especially if you've been pregnant before." 

Denial is a powerful thing.

x 2 on the denial. Or these women are seriously out of touch with their bodies. After having carried and delivered 4 babies, all I can think is "what????"
2013-06-06 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds like she already has a litter of kids. Perhaps she just long forgot what it felt like NOT to be pregnant so being pregnant was normal feeling to her. That's all I got. And if the husband had a vasectomy...oh buddy I want a follow up story to this one.
2013-06-06 11:30 AM
in reply to: thebigb

Veteran
Tennessee
Originally posted by thebigb

Sounds like she already has a litter of kids. Perhaps she just long forgot what it felt like NOT to be pregnant so being pregnant was normal feeling to her. That's all I got. And if the husband had a vasectomy...oh buddy I want a follow up story to this one.

I am betting he didn't go back to the doctors office to see if he still had some swimmers.
2013-06-06 11:37 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by DanielG http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/woman-surprise-birth-training-marath... A woman in training for a marathon goes into labor with a baby she didn't know she was carrying.

My system blocked that link so I'm not sure if that story gives the extra punchline, but the one I read does: 

http://www.yardbarker.com/other_sports/articles/msn/woman_unaware_of_pregnancy_gives_birth_during_training_for_half_marathon/13768625

Punchline being, her husband had a vasectomy.  No wonder she never suspected she was knocked up!

Oh dear.

2013-06-06 11:52 AM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by iruptacopula

Originally posted by thebigb

I am betting he didn't go back to the doctors office to see if he still had some swimmers.

You HAVE to go back and get that diploma. My doc made me take two tests before he said I could graduate.

2013-06-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Originally posted by TriAya

I've seen the shows/read the stories and some of them seemed legit. But still--I mean--really?

Until it happened to a friend of mine! She wasn't an athlete but was always very active, slim and such. I saw photos of her within three months of her delivery and she looked normal!

She had always had an irregular cycle, and she had apparently had some breakthrough bleeding during her pregnancy which she mistook for periods.

ONE WEEK before she delivered, she went to the doctor because she was having stomach pains and was unusually bloated (I'll say!) Talk about a surprise. And yes, she was that far along, the baby was not premature, and while he was small when born (just under 6lb) not abnormally so, especially since she's Indonesian and pretty tiny herself.

Pretty much the same story for a friend of mine. 

See now you read it on the internet so it must be true. Seriously though, I guess it does happen. Statistically it doesn't surprise me either.

2013-06-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by mehaner

there is an ENTIRE tv show dedicated to these kind of stories.

Hands down, the most terrifying show on television!

2013-06-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Maybe it is easier to ignore a pregnancy when your husband has passed the post-snip swimmer's test? Just sayin'
2013-06-06 4:23 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Originally posted by mehaner

there is an ENTIRE tv show dedicated to these kind of stories.

Hands down, the most terrifying show on television!

^^ x2 My husband can't even flick through it lol

But seriously, I have two friends who didn't know they were pregnant until 5 months and 7(!!) months. Th one that didn't find out until 7 months is pretty small, skinny type, UK size 6/8 skinny and didn't put on any weight other than a bit of a rounded face, but def nothing on her stomach. But her not knowing had a lot to do with other trauma she was going through (her partner, the child's father) was shot dead during a robbery. I guess our minds can trick our bodies into anything.
2013-06-06 6:09 PM

User image

Master
I wonder if the baby was a mellow one in her belly. My last two did back flips and such in mine. Seeing a body part move from one side of my belly to the other, and the round house kicks to my bladder would have had me suspicious, at least. Wonder how tall she is. I'm pretty short. Not much room for hiding out in secret for too long. Pretty neat though to be able to get through 9 months without all the anxiety and waiting!

2013-06-06 6:11 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Seattle

Ahhhhh maaaaaan, I hope this doesn't happen to me!!!!!!! Smile

2013-06-06 6:15 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ahhhhh maaaaaan, I hope this doesn't happen to me!!!!!!! Smile

Yours would come out doing jumping heel clicks and finish the run with you;)

2013-06-06 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I cannot wrap my brain around this.
Even if there was no weight gain, things shift! and my kids would stick out a but, an arm, a foot under my ribs....I could entertain entire rooms of people with the movement.

And she had 2 kids already! how could she NOT KNOW????
2013-06-06 7:34 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Blanda

I wonder if the baby was a mellow one in her belly. My last two did back flips and such in mine. Seeing a body part move from one side of my belly to the other, and the round house kicks to my bladder would have had me suspicious, at least. Wonder how tall she is. I'm pretty short. Not much room for hiding out in secret for too long. Pretty neat though to be able to get through 9 months without all the anxiety and waiting!

I'm 5'9 and all body (I have seriously short legs). 32 weeks pregnant and if you were to look at my belly right now there woudl be no question that there is a baby moving inside it (seriously, what the hell is it doing in there?) I look less pregnant than friends due after me that are shorter, but definitely look pregnant now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Woman Has Surprise Birth While Training for Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Surprising things that make me happy in tri training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 603 Posts: 1

2012-10-24 9:36 PM agarose2000

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1374 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

Importance to you of having a nice pool or OWS place to train in

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1626 Posts: 17

2010-05-28 4:07 PM agarose2000

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1842 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Marathon Training - Having to take a week off

Started by bkfitz
Views: 5154 Posts: 12

2007-08-27 8:15 PM bkfitz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : March 30, 2011
comments : 8
A woman trains for and achieves her goal to do an almost 3 hour Olympic triathlon in her 50th year
date : November 23, 2010
author : yaroslaski
comments : 9
I started training for triathlons in my early 20's but never entered one. Twenty years later found me still a newbie, with many extra pounds, much more humility and a healthy dose of reality.

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.