Epic Events
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 56s
Overall Rank = 107/148
Age Group = F20-39
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

Bran flakes in the car on the way from the hotel. Arrived nice and early and got registered. Was told the water temperature was up to 13C, which made me a little happier about the idea of getting in the water.

Changed into tri suit and wetsuit at the car and then took the 15min walk to the lake for the race briefing. Left my trainers in the gear tent.
Event warmup:

Mostly it was the walk down to the lake. We had the race briefing, where they told us the water was actually 12C and then everyone got counted into the water. I landed up at the front, so swam out to the start buoy and spent a lot of time treading water. It gave me plenty of time to get water inside my wetsuit and convince myself to put my face in. That water was COLD! Then they had their traditional rendition of "head, shoulders, knees and toes" before they started everyone off.
Swim
  • 1h 23m 56s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was COLD! I can't say that enough. I started off on someone's feet and felt like I was getting a good draft benefit. After the first turn I lost him, then picked him up again towards the end of the first lap. After that I seemed to be on my own for the rest of the swim. I think the field was fairly sparse because a lot of people had dropped to the mile option due to the temperature, so I didn't get the same benefit as last year's event where there were lots of people to draft.

The pace I set for myself felt nice and comfortable. I was breathing comfortably, and given the temperature I was concentrating on keeping it steady. I was fairly happy with how it felt, and thought I was coping ok. I just kept plugging away until I got to the last 500m or so, when I decided to work a little harder into the finish.

I felt strong finishing and swam as far into the shore as I could before I had to stand up and walk the rest of the way. At that point everything went a little wrong. My feet were really cold and the rocks really hurt. I fell over a couple of times and then made it out and over the mat. I felt pretty good about my swim until I looked at my time and realised it was 6 minutes slower than last year. At that point I was less impressed, but I think the cold may not have helped.
What would you do differently?:

I could have tried a little harder with my drafting. There was a guy who seemed to be a good pace for me, but I lost him after the first lap. I'm fairly certain someone was drafting me, at least for the last lap, because they kept tapping my feet. That was kind of annoying...

The other restriction was the temperature, but obviously I had no control over that.
Post race
Warm down:

Kevin was waiting for me when I got out of the water and kept telling me to smile as he was taking photos. I told him I couldn't as I was too cold. The gravel was really hurting my freezing feet and I felt miserable. Kevin helped me out of my wetsuit and put his jacket on me as I'd stupidly left my dry clothes at the car. He also helped me get most of the gravel off my feet before putting my socks and shoes on. All in all he was lovely.

We walked back to the car and I put more clothes on, then went back into registration where we met some friends who were doing the mile (along with Kevin) and I had tea and flapjack to try to warm up. It took about an hour for me to get any feeling back in my feet, at which point I went for a run, and got back in time to see everyone coming out after the mile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the cold. Not sure I could have done much about that. I'm not sure the effort level was enough, but at least I know I can manage the distance, even in tough conditions.

Event comments:

I did one of the Epic Swims last year, and was really impressed. This one was similarly good. They're really well organised, very friendly and affordable events. This event's theme was "Coniston Pirates" and most of the safety kayakers were dressed as pirates, which made me smile. Plus there's tea/coffee and flapjack at the end for a charity donation. What more could you want?

I also really appreciate that they have a 3.8k option. It's a great chance to practice the distance, but the other distances meant that we had some friends there for the day as well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:56 | 3800 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 107/148
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/322692879 I measured it a little long (2.5miles)
Suit: Aquasphere wetsuit
Course: This was setup as a long rectangle, swimming in a clockwise direction. The first lap turned early and was 700m, the 2nd and 3rd laps were 1500m each. Once back at the starting buoy you turn and swim back to the shore where you exit and cross the timing mat.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 12C / 54F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-06 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: Epic Swim (Coniston)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Epic Swim (Coniston) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Epic Swim (Derwent Water)

Started by chapfallen
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2012-06-21 6:56 PM chapfallen

Urban Epic Boston

Started by schmals
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2009-08-18 12:40 PM schmals

Urban Epic Boston

Started by whshaw3
Views: 1138 Posts: 1

2009-08-17 12:30 PM whshaw3

Epic Sports Triathlon

Started by aesophs
Views: 679 Posts: 1

2009-06-15 7:31 PM aesophs

Petoskey Epic Triathlon

Started by twrussold
Views: 843 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 1:56 PM twrussold
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...