HFP Racing
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 42s
Overall Rank = 34/108
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

This was a conveniently close race to me -- only about a 45 minute drive, which when you live out in the boonies like me, is as close as it gets. So I actually got to drive to the race site on Saturday and check out the course and pick up my race packet, which was a new thing for me. It was a good think I did, because it's surprisingly difficult to find your way to the race site, and the bike course was weirdly twisty and I'm glad I had the head's up. Also had to but a new tube and CO2 after my tire-changing initiation the other day.

Got up 5:45, bagel banana coffee and out the door. Hit the race site at about 7AM, had time to kill; and spent like twenty minutes obsessing over my TA.

While waiting in line for the port-john, which is apparently where all the cool kids hang out, I ran into phoenixazul and Superfuzz! This was my first official IRL BT sighting! And when I came out of the portajohns, there was buckeye66! I have to hang around the portajohns more often.
Event warmup:

Stretching on the beach, and went for a longer warm-up swim. I think I should swim even farther next time, to the point where I can get a ryhtymn. Can't spell that word.
Swim
  • 17m 22s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, I was hoping to improve on this swim over my last swim -- which didn't go all that well, although my time wasn't all that bad in retrospect. Still, on the last swim I had a bit of an OWS freakout, and I didn't want to repeat that this time. I wanted to just keep my head down and stroke on this.

I kinda was successful in that goal, and kinda not. I still got a little bit freaked out in the washing machine at the start, and purposefully hung back several times in the hopes of getting some clear water to swim in. I did have a little bit of stress/adrenaline/panic at the beginning, but I forced myself to slow down and take big breaths when I could. Seemed to work.

So I made good time, though I was never able to draft. After rounding the turn and starting back, I got kicked in the cojones pretty viciously by a guy who was actually on his back doing some sort of a crawl stroke. He apologized, I said it was nothing and that I had chosen not to father children anyway.

I'd say that this was a good swim for me, but then again that ain't saying much.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. No, seriously, this is my worst discipline. I've demonstrated that I can do the distance in race conditions; now I need to pick up the pace and swim like I'm racing. I think that here, and in transitions, is where I'm going to be able to make up time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Bit too slow on this, I'm afraid. I could go faster -- but I think I don't have the confidence to run out of T1 WITHOUT stopping and thinking through things for a bit. this kills time, but calms me down. Maybe I'll get better at just doing this reflexively rather than thinking through it.

I made the decision before the race started to keep the coffee shop covers on my cleats while I ran the bike to the road. See, there was the fairly long grassy run from the exit of T1 before you got to asphalt, and I was fairly sure it was too muddy. This resulted in me having to take off the caps and put them in my trisuit pockets, but I still think it was a better idea than getting mud in my cleats.

The other option would be to perfect the shoes-on-the-bike method, but in order to perfect that, I'd probably have to try to do it at least once, and I think I'm going to fall over the first itme I do it.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 36m 51s
  • 12.1 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

This was okay for the course; the bike route was pretty slow, with rolling hills and lots of right angle turns; winding, rolling hills for the first third. Once you got through that and to the flat straight part, I was actually pretty tired out, and couldn't really hammer like I wanted to do. So, slow course, which I think affected everyone.

Had a Hammer Gel at the beginning of the ride, washed it down with water, drank a full big bottle of water of the length of the ride.

I passed a few folks on the bike, which is always nice. Along the way I passed a guy riding my exact back -- blue, 2006 Felt S32. But HIS bike had a HED 3 spoke wheel on the front and some lenticular disc on the back -- and I just BLEW RIGHT BY HIM with my crappy Shimano training wheels. TOASTED HIM. Man, that felt good. We had the same bike, we had the same course, he had better wheels, BUT I HAD THE BETTER ENGINE!

GO FAAAAASTER!
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

FASTER! Gotta go faster! Don't know why this was so slow . . .

Go faster
Run
  • 25m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Unnnnh, okay. I shoulda gone faster, but after my first split came back at 8 minutes, I knew I wasn't burning up the course. If I had known that I was just two minutes behind the third place guy in my AG, maybe I would have turned up the heat. But I had fun, so I guess that's something.

I didn't drink at all on the run -- this is part of my new plan. Hydrate on the bike so it could do me some good on the run, but just use the water to cool off on the run. It felt good -- not sloshy, and not dehydrated.

RUN FASTER!
Post race
Warm down:

Food, cheering on buckeye66, then getting in the lake and waiting around for phoenix. I spent most of that time thanking the LORD that I didn't run the International distance, cuz it got HOT out there. Started thinking about my next race . . .

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I dunno. I'm going to say that the two places I can make up time in the future are on the swim (duh) and in transition. But on the other hand, if I had KNOWN that I was just two minutes off from placing in my age group, which was my secret goal for the last two months, then maybe I would have run a bit faster. Run pace is a big thing for me -- I've got to do some more intervals and stuff to get that pace up.

Any expert opinions? Where can I cut time?

Event comments:

I like HFP a bunch. They're organized, on-time, cheerful, and most important, CHEAP! The only problem with this race is that the snooty Buckeye lake residents didn't come out and volunteer. They had lots of cops, but almost no volunteers -- they didn't do bodymarking for want of volunteers, and the bodymarking is my favorite part! So, snooty Buckeye lakeside vacation residence owners, you suck.

Last updated: 2006-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:22 | 750 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 9/108
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back counterclockwise rectangle. Well marked; only real problem was the return leg was directly into the rising sun, so it was difficult to see the orange buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:51 | 12.1 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: a rough, rolling course across farm roads
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:42 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Performance:
Course: Out and back, with the 10K folks continuing past the 5K turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 8:50 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Buckeye Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

2006-07-16 9:23 PM
in reply to: #484176

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Buckeye Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

Great job on the race - your bike time rocked!  I did the race last year and still remember the early portion of the bike - Nice job getting through it so quickly!

I wonder, does the panic at the swim beginning ever go away????....................

BTW - nice avatar!

2006-07-17 1:16 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great race!!  I know you want to be faster, but I'd be happy being anywhere near as fast as you are!
2006-07-17 6:49 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

So, you want to go faster?  If you get it figured out, please let me know.

Seriously, great race!  I think you're pretty fast as it is - but I do understand that constant drive for improvement.  You did way better on the swim than last time.  You can only really train for the swim by racing, but you had really big improvements there.  Maybe next time you can catch a draft!

2006-07-17 9:35 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I dunno man, I saw you coming out of the water, and if you had a crappy swim, I couldn't tell, you held it together well ! .

Sorry my arse is so slow...if I had known you guys were waiting around, I would have picked up the pace!
2006-07-17 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Wow man, from talking to you it sounded like you did terrible.  Those are some great numbers.  If I would have let you warm up properly and not chatted you up so much you might have done better.  Next time I will not talk.  lol  Seriously though, great job.

2006-07-18 6:32 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
heh, nice race photo too!
2006-07-18 10:28 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse
checkcheck it

'cuz we are the AquaTeens

make your homies go ho and the girlies want to scream
2006-07-18 11:31 AM
in reply to: #485948

User image

Master
La Crosse
numba one in the hood, g.

2006-07-18 7:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Great job on your race!!!!  I think your times are awesome!  It must have been so fun meeting up with other BT'ers.  Nice picture!
2006-07-18 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Where did you get that cool picture, and who is that sexy bald guy?  Those are some studly looking triathletes you hang with.   hehehe

2006-07-18 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Not to overload the posts in your race thread and take away from the posts in mine, but did you notice your feet are not touching the ground in your race photo?  illegal substance perhaps?  hmmmmmm
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buckeye Lake Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed