General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 56s
Overall Rank = 709/978
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 99/126
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:15 to the smell of coffee brewing. The best part of waking up... nevermind. Had a quick shower to wake up and a bowl of oatmeal. Greg and Betsy arrived at 6:00, we loaded up my bike and bag and we were off. One of the best parts of of this race is that we live about 10 miles away so we don't have to get up all that early. We were about a block away from our parking spot when Greg yelled, "Mother F--ker!". Aside from scaring the heck out of me, I was certainly interested to hear what was wrong. He'd forgotten the keys to the bike racks. DOH! Fortunately for me, MY bike was on MY rack to which I had the key, of course. So I unloaded my bike and hoped that Greg didn't have an aneurysm or get a speeding ticket.

I finally got to the body marking area to find my little sister doing what she does best. She says to the guy she's marking, "OK, now flex your bicep for me". He flexes. She says, "Seriously. Flex for me." He busts up laughing and is going to be just a little less stressed after that exchange. She's so awesome and I was loving that she volunteered for the race. She marked me up and we snapped a couple of pics and I was off to set up my transition. After getting my transition set up, I waited, waited, hit the porta potty, waited some more, waited some more again. You get the picture. Its a long time between when they kick you out of the transition and the start. I was lucky to only have to way an hour and 15 minutes but Betsy had to wait more than three hours. That's a real b*tch when its hot and humid. Finally, at about 7:45, they made the announcement I'd been dreading. The OLY course was being shortened for all AG participants because of the heat. They cut 3 miles of the bike and shortened the run to 3 miles. I get the run shortening but why they only took off 3 miles from the bike didn't make sense. After being a bit pissed and disappointed I decided it was out of my control and I was going to have the best race possible.
Event warmup:

Managed to get in a couple hundred yards to loosen up. Of course, I had to wait another 15 minutes in the start corral for the start...
Swim
  • 38m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started in 3 second intervals. The first few hundred yards felt pretty good with the exception of the guy who started right after me swerving around the course like a drunken sailor. After he burned out I had clear water most the rest of the way. At about the halfway mark, I started to work more inside and stay right up against the small marker bouys which began the game I like to call "Tag The Bouy". Of course, I'd shoot to go just left of the bouy and would invariably donk into it. I must've done this 5 times or more. At one point a fast female who started after me swam right over me and it felt very intentional. I know she must've seen me. There was no way she couldn't. It pissed me off so much that I decided to return the favor and swam right over top of her. That'll teach her to intentionally mix it up on the swim. A bit after that, some guy grabbed my ass twice. He didn't even stop to ask for my phone number. Jerk. As I came out of the water, I was feeling pretty gassed. I'm having a hard time remembering whether I ran up the beach to the transition or not. I think I did... All in all, I was just OK with the swim. I beat last year's time by about 20 minutes but it felt like it should've been more than that. Perhaps I could've pushed it harder?
What would you do differently?:

Train more. Hit the drills a lot more and work on building speed.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This was a pretty crappy transition. I was getting distracted because the pros were in their T2 and they were right by my rack and the volunteers were going bezerk. I forgot to put my skullcap on before my helmet because it was sitting on my shoes. Stupid. Had to take the helmet back off and on. Stuffed GUs and Endurolytes into my pockets and was off and running. HUGE transition area so it was a long trot in bike shoes.

Lay out my T1 stuff properly.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 22s
  • 21.7 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Today was a great day on the bike. The first half of this course is wicked fast. I was feeling relaxed, not pushing too hard and was still averaging over 20 mph. Somewhere in here I picked up a lady on a silver Litespeed. We'd be playing tag for the rest of the ride. The St. Paul side of the Mississippi is a little more uphill and rolling so it slowed me some. At about 40 minutes, I was feeling pretty gassed. The last third of ride has some rollers that sapped me pretty hard. My low back was also starting to get really achy which was a new feeling. Not sure what I'd done differently but it was really bothering me. At the end of the ride, however, I was really pleased to see an 18.7 mph average. I was hoping for 18 and would've settled for 17 so it was a great day on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

This transition went relatively smoothly. Its just that the run start was a LONG way from my rack and I didn't feel like running hard right away. That'd be a theme that would carry forward...

Suck it up and haul a$$!
Run
  • 32m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh, man. This run just freakin' stunk. Sure, it was ridiculously hot. Like fry eggs on the pavement hot. But I know I had way more in me. Today I most certainly let my head get the best of me. I don't quite know why but I just stopped running a few times, especially during the first half. Part of the problem was that I had to pee SOOOOOOO badly from the second I got off the bike. Had I been thinking clearly, I'd have stopped to pee and could've turned in a lot better time. A guy came blowing by me about mid-way and said something like, "you're looking good but you gotta keep up. Let's go". Of course, he was quickly gone but it gave me motiviation to keep moving. At one point, I was running with a woman named Christine (I think) and some spectator was offering encouragement to a loved one behind us: "You look so great honey. You're doing AWESOME. I'm so proud of you and I love you". I turned to Christine and said, "I just pretend they're talking to me". With the love from that racer's lovely wife, we were able to kick it down for the last quarter mile. As usual, I got the Team Dork Rocket shout-out from the race announcer and finished with high fives and big smiles. God it felt good to be done!

SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my official ice towel (brought to you by Toyota), water (Dasani), sports drink (PowerAde), bread bites (French Meadow Bakery), and cookie (Baker's Breakfast Cookies). Everything at this race is sponsored or branded in some way. Somebody needs to fund the fat professional purse, I guess. Milled around trying to cool down and waited for Greg and Betsy to finish. A highlight was watching 88 year old Mary Stroebe finishing. She's nearly a century old and is completing triathlons in nearly 100 degree heat. Absolutely unreal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, my current limitations, my head getting in the way.

Event comments:

Aside from cost, this is a great race. The atmosphere's awesome with the top pros racing and 2500 some odd amateurs competing as well. The race runs like a well oiled machine and the 1300 volunteers were wonderful. If you don't mind paying $125 for a race, I'd HIGHLY recommend this one.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 95/126
Overall: 709/978
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Three sides of a rectangle. 400 out, 700 across, 400 in.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:22 | 21.7 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 90/126
Overall: 602/978
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out around the East side of Nokomis, east to the Mississippi, north on the Minneapolis side of the river, across at Franklin, south on the St. Paul side of the river, West to Lake Harriet and back east to Nokomis. Was supposed to have circled Lake Harriet but this was the segment they removed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:02 | 03 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 102/126
Overall: 762/978
Performance: Bad
Course: One lap around Nokomis with a little 2 block jog out and back across the Cedar Ave. bridge
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 10:13 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-07-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: #484238

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great race, congratulations!!
2006-07-17 9:07 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
you stuffed gus in your pocket? poor gus. oh, GUs! hee hee. awesome job. good job running in that heat. i wish i could have been there to see the pros in t2 (wow!) and to see mary stroebe finish (88 wows!)...and of course to cheer for you and the other BTers!
2006-07-17 9:11 AM
in reply to: #484471

User image

Elite

autumn - 2006-07-17 9:07 AM you stuffed gus in your pocket? poor gus. oh, GUs! hee hee. 

Picky, picky.  Of course, I had to go back and change it...

It is pretty awesome to watch the pros doing their thing.  I can't believe the guys were able to finish under 1:50 in that heat.  Just amazing.  That's why they're pros, right?

2006-07-17 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Nice race! I would have bent down and kissed the RD's feet if he'd have shortened the run by 3 miles yesterday...people looked like they were hurting.
2006-07-17 9:39 AM

User image

over a barrier
MAN on MAN was it hot.....Nice race though...if you could move Minn closer to Chicago and turn down the heat a bit I'll be back, lol.

2006-07-17 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
'Where to hang in there with extreme heat.  Good race.
2006-07-17 2:03 PM
in reply to: #484477

User image

molto veloce mama
oh, and congrats on your first oly. i know you might not be thinking it counts, but i think it does. IM malaysia they cut off the whole swim because of dangerous conditions, but it was still a qualifier for kona. this was still an oly, and a tough one even w/ the course changes.
2006-07-17 2:21 PM
in reply to: #485052

User image

Elite
Thanks, Autumn.  With the exception of the run, it was darn close.  I'm still trying to figure out why they only cut three miles off the bike.  That'd only have been another 10 minutes for me and even less for a bulk of the OLY people.  Now I've got my sights set on Turtleman where I will kick a$$ on the bike and still have enough left for a sub 1 hr run.  That's my goal, at least.
2006-07-17 3:55 PM

User image

Elite
Added pics.  The rest will be in my album in a couple of minutes.
2006-07-17 4:19 PM
in reply to: #485101

User image

molto veloce mama
yea, 3 miles sort of seems like 'what's the point?'. oh well.

btw, is it just me, or are you getting BALDER? great race pics. next time have them bodymark your head. really. or do a big smiley face on the back of your head for the people who are using you as 'pace booty' on the run

2006-07-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #485312

User image

Elite

autumn - 2006-07-17 4:19 PM

btw, is it just me, or are you getting BALDER? great race pics. next time have them bodymark your head. really. or do a big smiley face on the back of your head for the people who are using you as 'pace booty' on the run

Not really sure I can get any balderer. I did use someone as my pace booty on Saturday for a while and even caught someone doing the same. OK, maybe not but I did ask the woman I'd been runing with for a while if she was staring at my a$$ when I decided to haul to the finish She admitted as much but can you blame her? I think I even spanked myself. Foot in mouth I'd almost forgotten that happened...

Edited by Matchman 2006-07-17 4:34 PM
2006-07-17 4:54 PM
in reply to: #485344

User image

molto veloce mama
okay, thanks for that mental image. you couldn't have been that miserable if you still had the sense of humor to spank yourself! hee hee.
2006-07-18 8:29 AM
in reply to: #485371

User image

Elite

autumn - 2006-07-17 4:54 PM okay, thanks for that mental image. you couldn't have been that miserable if you still had the sense of humor to spank yourself! hee hee.

I'm not a good enough athlete to ditch my sense of humor.  Part of me wishes I was but I'm not doing this for cash or accolades.  I always keep just enough in the tank to try to make people laugh and finish with a smile.   

2006-07-18 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN

some woman stem rolled you in the water huh... i heard stories.. never happend to me... must be intentional.. i actually make it a curtousy to round about or look up and sprint swim aroudn to the side ... its not worth breaking some integrity or sportsmanship by dunking someone just for a few seonds.. its just wrong.. next time grab her leg and pull her down with you... lol...

oh by the way .. i love vodka..  mmm almost as good as icecream.. but in much smaller doses.. lol..

congrats on the race.. 

Edited by rabkaman 2006-07-18 10:05 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed