Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Wine Capital of Canada Sprint/Oly cancelled? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-08 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Subject: Wine Capital of Canada Sprint/Oly cancelled?

I've just heard that the race has been cancelled due to low registration.  Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I will share this info for anyone who is interested. 

Also I'm offering special discount to registered Oliver sprint Olympic athletes. For ROC VERNON June 23 TRI /du, teams and trail races contact me at [email protected]
Www.rocokanagan.com

Edited by Kelownagirl 2013-06-08 7:06 PM

2013-06-08 9:15 PM
in reply to: Kelownagirl

User image

Chilliwack
Subject: RE: Wine Capital of Canada Sprint/Oly cancelled?
Originally posted by Kelownagirl

I've just heard that the race has been cancelled due to low registration.  Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I will share this info for anyone who is interested. 

Also I'm offering special discount to registered Oliver sprint Olympic athletes. For ROC VERNON June 23 TRI /du, teams and trail races contact me at [email protected]
Www.rocokanagan.com

I heard the same thing... I did the Oliver HIM last week, and there was no mention of the cancellation at the race.

I e-mailed Joe about the WCOC race as I was thinking of doing the Sprint... no response.... So I signed up for the Victoria Subaru tri for next weekend instead... lol

~Mike

2013-06-08 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
A friend and I have been planning to register for the Olympic event. Just haven't been in a hurry to do it.

When I read your post I went to the WCOC website and it doesn't say anything about being cancelled.

Darn!
2013-06-09 7:32 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Surrey, BC
Yes, it has been cancelled due to to low registration. Event registration is down close to 50%.

I registered shortly after hearing that all the financial issues with the city of Oliver had been resolved, hoping others would register as well. Obviously in the end that wasn't the case. I now have a hotel room for 2 nights in Osoyoos, which I'll be taking full advantage of as a short training camp with some nice long rides. Maybe do the Desert half bike course and a ride to Penticton and back.

Would really like to see race come back in future years, whether it's run by Outback events or another other company. I think it would be a real shame to lose such a great race.

Edited by Lukasz 2013-06-09 7:43 PM
2013-06-10 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Lukasz - Did you get notification from Outback? Since I read the event has been cancelled I've been looking for confirmation and, so far, I haven't been able to find anything yet. The WCOC website still appears to be willing and able to accept further registrations.

I'm really disappointed about this. I'm registered to do a HIM July 21st and was looking forward to doing this as part of my prep. The only alternatives is the Victoria race which I would like to do but I'll really have to scramble to arrange a trip. I even checked Washington state.

Lukasz - I was swimming in Okanagan yesterday. Water temp was a nice 20C.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-06-10 10:50 AM
2013-06-10 11:18 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Chilliwack
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Lukasz - Did you get notification from Outback? Since I read the event has been cancelled I've been looking for confirmation and, so far, I haven't been able to find anything yet. The WCOC website still appears to be willing and able to accept further registrations.

I'm really disappointed about this. I'm registered to do a HIM July 21st and was looking forward to doing this as part of my prep. The only alternatives is the Victoria race which I would like to do but I'll really have to scramble to arrange a trip. I even checked Washington state.

If you click through the registration link it won't accept and says registration closed. It would be nice if Outback updated the webpage....

2013-06-10 12:00 PM
in reply to: tsrf900r

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks tsrf900r. I didn't go far enough into the registration process - expecting they would actually say "cancelled" somewhere. I hope those that did register will be reimbursed.

So on a brighter note - how was the Oliver HIM? It was pouring rain in Penticton during the race but I understand it was dry in Oliver. How'd you do? Race report?

KelownaGurl - I'm going to look at your Vernon race - I presume it is with Mtn Bikes?
2013-06-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4770827

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
I am worried now because I was hoping to do Cultas Lake, I checked the reg for it and there is barely anyone registered for this one either. I feel for Joe but Outback is really falling apart.
2013-06-10 1:30 PM

Veteran
Surrey, BC

This race was going to be a part of my prep for Lake Stevens 70.3, which I assume you are doing as well based on the date.

Here's the email I received from Joe@Outback.

"Good evening athlete,

After much deliberation this past week I am sad to announce the cancellation of the 2013 WCOC triathlon this year due to low entrants numbers. For the first time in 11 years we will not be producing this event this year. The event registration is down close to 50% from past years with just over one week until the event.

As a registered athlete I would like to offer you the following options:

1) A refund of your 2013 entry fee.

2) Transfer your entry to one of our other 2013 triathlon races: Eastlink Desert Half Iron, Sylvan Lake 1/60/10, Sylvan Lake Half or the Cultus Lake Sprint or Olympic races. If the race has a higher entry fee I will cover the difference and there is no cost to you as an athlete.

3) Transfer your entry to any race in 2014 as listed above and including the 2014 Eastlink Oliver Half Iron. The entry fee for the Eastlink Oliver Half Iron is twice that of the WCOC and I am happy to switch to the Half next year if you choose to do so.

Please let me know what you would like me to do with your entry prior to July 31st, 2013.

Again, this was a very difficult decision.

Sincerely,

Joe Dixon"

Going by the information in the email, Cultus is still a go as of today.

2013-06-10 3:33 PM

User image

Chilliwack

Thanks tsrf900r. I didn't go far enough into the registration process - expecting they would actually say "cancelled" somewhere. I hope those that did register will be reimbursed.

So on a brighter note - how was the Oliver HIM? It was pouring rain in Penticton during the race but I understand it was dry in Oliver. How'd you do? Race report?

KelownaGurl - I'm going to look at your Vernon race - I presume it is with Mtn Bikes?

wenceslasz - The Oliver HIM was great, very windy, but no rain. I did OK, finished under 6... I am participating at Ironman Coeur d' Alene next week, so I tried to make it more of a training day, but still overcooked on the bike..

I'm not much for writing race reports...

~ Mike

2013-06-10 5:30 PM
in reply to: Lukasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Yes, Lake Stevens it is. I've been training with another fellow and we're going to drive down together - probably Tuesday before and staying at a camp site about 13 mi away.
I'm decent on the swim, slow on the bike and really struggling with the run. The last couple times I've done a bike/run brick I've struggled on the run and now I only have a few weeks left to get some endurance. I may be walking a lot come race day (I hope not). I'm hoping not to exceed 7hrs but it will be close.

I can't imagine finishing sub 6hrs like Mike did at Oliver.

Mike - Have fun at IMCdA. I hear the water is cold there.

2013-06-11 1:57 AM

Veteran
Surrey, BC
Have you ever raced Lake Stevens before?
If not, be prepared for a pretty hard bike course. Lots of rolling hills, not many flat sections, and a few long steep climbs after mile 40.
2013-06-13 8:24 PM
in reply to: Lukasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Lukasz

Have you ever raced Lake Stevens before?
If not, be prepared for a pretty hard bike course. Lots of rolling hills, not many flat sections, and a few long steep climbs after mile 40.

I haven't done Lake Stevens before. I have looked at maps with elevations and figured it is not very flat although the maps don't really reveal a lot of info. I'm also fairly slow on the bike (and run) but I ride a lot of hills in the area around Penticton. When we want to ride semi-flats we go to Oliver and ride the HIM route.

I'll keep riding hills as much as I can and I'll be riding the Penticton Mediofondo (92Km with 4 good hill climbs) on July 7th. I'm planning to try and beat 7hrs overall. I'm slowly getting stronger on the hills but I'm not seeing any increase in speed.

I swim lots in Tuc el Nuit and Okanagan Lake. I'm not worried about the swim. I figure I can do it in 40 minutes give or take 5 minutes (depending on the chop or other swimmers).

2013-06-23 5:58 PM
in reply to: tsrf900r

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC

Originally posted by tsrf900r
Originally posted by wenceslasz Thanks tsrf900r. I didn't go far enough into the registration process - expecting they would actually say "cancelled" somewhere. I hope those that did register will be reimbursed. So on a brighter note - how was the Oliver HIM? It was pouring rain in Penticton during the race but I understand it was dry in Oliver. How'd you do? Race report? KelownaGurl - I'm going to look at your Vernon race - I presume it is with Mtn Bikes?
wenceslasz - The Oliver HIM was great, very windy, but no rain. I did OK, finished under 6... I am participating at Ironman Coeur d' Alene next week, so I tried to make it more of a training day, but still overcooked on the bike.. I'm not much for writing race reports... ~ Mike

Sorry for the late reply, did you do it?  I was there as a volunteer.

2013-09-05 10:57 PM

Veteran
Surrey, BC
Did anybody transfer their entry for the 2013 WCOC to another Outback events race in 2013/2014 and receive any confirmation of the transfer?
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Wine Capital of Canada Sprint/Oly cancelled? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wine Capital Sprint/Oly

Started by Kelownagirl
Views: 1609 Posts: 7

2011-05-16 12:34 AM Puddle Duck

Iron Mountain Oly vs Cultus Lake Oly Bike Course

Started by stevelaz
Views: 1296 Posts: 4

2010-08-09 10:41 PM stevelaz

Oliver Sprint or Oly May 16th?

Started by Kelownagirl
Views: 1622 Posts: 16

2010-05-18 3:44 PM Allison1727

Anyone volunteered at IM Canada?

Started by Princess_Megz
Views: 824 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 3:48 PM jeng

trans canada cyclists

Started by c2fd
Views: 1052 Posts: 3

2006-10-01 5:22 PM Crazypop
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.