Ironhead Race Productions
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 57s
Overall Rank = 198/415
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/54
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:20, quick shower and shave. Everything was packed, so just a quick load up of the bags and bikes and we were off.

Nutrition: About 5:00 (approx 2 hours before race start), I had a 32oz Powerade, Oatmeal Raisin Clif bar, and a banana.

Got there with plenty of time to set up and take a quick trip to the portajohn. Saw all the BTers that were doing the race - Aaron (JeepFleeb), Haley (Comet), Tommy (zia_cyclist), David (davidb), and Emily (emilyindallas). Seb (sebjamesm) was there to take pictures all day. Most appreciated.
Event warmup:

Took a quick swim with Tommy (zia_cyclist) to get used to the water and get a little warmed up. Nice and easy.

Got a quick prerace BT group photo. Aaron was in the first wave, then David and I made our way in. Quick kiss to Shannon and good luck to everyone else and it was time to start my first Oly.

Nutrition: Popped a Choc Accel Gel about 15 minutes before our swim wave was set to go.
Swim
  • 33m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Start was ok. Stayed relaxed and didn't panic. Before the first buoy someone grabbed my ankle and the strap on my chip came off. So I had to turn around and tread water for a few seconds and wait for it to float up. Rather than try to put it back on my ankle, I shoved it down the front of my pants.

Sighted the close together buoys pretty easily. Some of them, though, were a long way between each other, so I got off course a few times. Hardest part was the swim into shore. Right into the sun. Got off a few more times and ended up about 5 feet to the left of the landing. Volunteers were helpful in warning me not to trip over the concrete edge of the boat landing.
What would you do differently?:

Attach strap more securely.

Swim a little harder. I was relaxed, which is good. But I was slower than my goal time. Maybe it was a little long, I dunno. Kind of a crapshoot with OW swims.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Relaxed T1, probably took too long. 36th in my AG. And I still forgot stuff. Didn't dry my feet off very well, which lead to some nice pruning and a blister later. Also had forgotten to reset my computer.

Then when I tried to clip in and start, I just couldn't get in. That took a while. Frustrating.

Dry my feet off. Do a better job of preparation.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 53s
  • 26 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, this was a great bike. Surpassed my stretch goal for the race. Got passed a lot more than I passed anyone, which isn't a big shock. Kept a nice high cadence and didn't use too much energy. Saw all the BTers on the course except for Shannon. When I saw an ambulance coming as I finished my 2nd lap, I was getting a little nervous. Then I saw who they were for - two guys were lying in the grass with broken bikes. Looked like one of them may have broken his nose.

Saw Aaron already 2 miles into his run on my way in. Hollered some kind of trash talk to him. Hardly even remember what I said now.

Nutrition: Took a Choc Accel Gel and a salt tablet both at 3 and 20 miles into the ride. On the bike I had a 240 cal bottle of Accelerade (probably drink 3/4 of it), and 20oz of plain water.

Nothing. For me, this was flying.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

No issues with the transition. Mighty fast.

Nada. 7th fastest T2 in my AG, like that counts for anything.
Run
  • 57m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw Shannon with Seb on my way out. I could tell she didn't feel good. Swimming with ruptured ear drums doesn't bring out the best in most people. I'm just impressed that she even tried it.

As for my run, where to start? It went wrong almost instantly. Legs felt great, but almost as soon as I started to run my stomach cramped up. I could feel liquid sloshing around like crazy. Exact same feeling I had on the run at the No Sweat Aquathon in April and when Seb and I did a brick run after the Collin Classic. Met Tommy and then David going the other way.

Pain got worse the longer I went. Finally had to walk after the 1 mile marker. From then on I just got progressively slower. Tried to run the 2nd mile to the aid station. That didn't work.

Took a step off to the side and tried to hurl. Managed a little bit, but not enough. From then on it was a frustrating process of running as far as I could without doubling over, then walking 30 seconds. Stopped at every aide station. Drank half a cup of water and poured the rest over my head.

Saw Aaron before I started making the slow ascent onto the dam. I was not a happy camper. He, however, was looking strong. The down and back stretch on the dam was miserable. My legs were raring to go, but my stomach just wouldn't let me. Any time I got a good pace going, it would flare up again.

6 miles never seemed so far. All I wanted to do was finish. I knew my time was going to be way slow. I just wanted to get to the end so I could stop running...err...jogging...err...walking.

At long last I hit the 6 mile mark. Mustered up the energy to trot home and not walk. About all I could manage.

Figure out my race nutrition. What I did is not cutting it. No way I should run this slow. Suckage.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some water and sat in the shade. I was miserable. Then tried to talk Shannon out of her funk. Her ears wouldn't let her swim. Well, she completed the swim, but only after backstroking a lot when she felt sick. She missed the cutoff by 3 minutes. In retrospect, it's probably a good thing, as her other ear (the good one) started bleeding when we got home. Maybe God was doing her a favor.

Tried to walk around a little. Went over to transition and changed out of my socks and shoes into my flip flops. Pruning sucks. Also grabbed my Endurox, though the last thing I wanted was more liquid calories.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too relaxed on the swim.

Cramps on the run.

Event comments:

For my first Oly, I guess 2:52 isn't bad. Could have...should have been 5 to 10 minutes faster. My stomach let me down.

Loved the course. Guess I should get used to it. First HIM will be there in 6 weeks or so. Need to figure out what's up with my stomach before then.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:18 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/54
Overall: 203/415
Performance: Average
Suit: Javelin Tri Top and Shorts
Course: Triangular course with buoys unevenly spaced out. Some were a few minutes apart, some were farther. Finish was directly into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:18:53 | 26 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/54
Overall: 246/415
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 39:15 Lap 2: 39:33
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops, fast course. Nothing much in the way of hills. One or two. That was it. More grooved pavement that I would have liked, but it was still nice and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:37 | 06.2 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/54
Overall: 197/415
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 - 7:03 Mile 2 - 9:16 Mile 3 - 9:22 Mile 4 - 10:02 Mile 5 - 9:52 Mile 6 - 10:19 Mile 6.2 - 1:41
Course: Mostly flat along the park roads. Short climb onto the dam. Very little shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 11:49 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2006-07-17 5:40 AM
in reply to: #484273

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

Sorry about your cramps ! Before that you where doing very good. 

You did awesome on the bike, and remember this was your first Olympic Tri and it is better to get the cramps now then in 6 weeks ! Now you just need to figure out how to prevent them from coming back. Best of luck to you.

2006-07-17 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Maybe you're eating too much; 3 gels plus 240 cals on the bike is a lot for a race lasting <3 hrs. Maybe you should stick to water on the bike, and use electrolyte tabs instead of Accelerade. 1 gel before swim, 1 after 15 min on bike, then around mile 20-23 on bike. All that sugar from the Accelerade may be making you cramp up. Might need to switch to something else.

I think you had a great race, especially the bike
2006-07-17 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

I know the run felt like it was bad, but I say this was a great first Olympic for you.  Under 3 hours?  Fantastic!

I'd probably concur with some of the comments about too many calories on the bike.  I used to take Accelerade and a Gu on the bike, but I've stopped both of them.  Some people have problems with Accelerade b/c of the protein.  I never had quite the issues some described, but since stopping it, I haven't had stomach cramps as I start my run.  (I did switch to Amino Vital, although I only went through 1/2 the bottle on Sunday.)

For Gu, I just found that I felt slower after taking them on the bike.  They would sit heavy in my stomach, and it was like my legs didn't want to work quite as hard.  (Blood diverting to the stomach, maybe?)  For what it's worth, I've found that if I train without much nutrition, I can go without it during the race and make it through just fine.  Now your upcoming HIM is a whole different story!

I hope Shannon is feeling better this morning.  It was a valiant effort she made on the swim.

2006-07-17 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Don't be discouraged, that 's a great time for your first Oly.  I agree about the nutrition and about the Accelerade.  I only do Accelerade for recovery now and I train and race with Infinite.
2006-07-17 2:49 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

Woo!  That's a fantastic bike performance.

2006-07-17 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race.  You broke 3 hours in your first Oly!  Not bad. 

Try some race pace bricks in the heat.  That may help you figure out your nutrition issues.

TJ

2006-07-17 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Super race out there. I feel ya on the long six miles. But you saw it through!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed