Tri Utah
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m
Overall Rank = 107/224
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

My new tri bike came in the mail at lunch time. I assembled it after work and had it ready to go and tested late in the evening. I had decided beforehand that if I could get it all tested out I'd use it. Since this race is more of a training race, I figured that the experience on the bike would be worth any problems that it might cause.

I got to bed at 1:00 AM the night before and had a hard time sleeping. I finally fell asleep at 2:45 and had to get up at 3:00 to go. I met up with Randy at the mouth of Parleys and rode with him. It was nice to have someone to talk to along the way.

We arrived early enough to get transition set up and relax a bit. I felt great as the race started.
Event warmup:

I swam 100 yards or so nice and easy after the first wave started.
Swim
  • 34m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Due to recent lack of swim training because of my arm injury, I decided to take this nice and easy. I swam straight and non-stop, but didn't push the pace much.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had a good swim for where I'm at right now. I just need to get back at it in the pool again, now that the arm is feeling mostly better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I wore flipflops to run over the rough ground from the lake to transition in. I had a hard time keeping them on up the gradual hill and while running to transition. I also feel like it took me longer than it should have to get the bike unracked and helmet on.

Pick up the pace a bit.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 2s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I started the first 1/2 at a blistering pace, passing like crazy along the way. I was climbing strongly and had a good cadence. I felt like I was gearing correctly. I wasn't breathing heavily at all. On the way back, I was flying downhill until I got to the point where I had 7-8 miles left. This is where I discovered exactly how a tri bike differs from a road bike. The muscles on the rear inside of my thighs cramped up big time. These are muscles I've NEVER had hurt on a bike ride. I went from averaging around 23 mph on the ride to 15-16 through the remainder of the ride. I could barely move the legs to keep pedaling and felt like I was coasting along. People I had blown past were passing me like I was barely moving.

Nothing. Despite the fact that I had not trained on the new bike, I enjoyed riding it. It's going to be FAST once I'm used to it!
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I cramped so badly on the bike that I could barely walk my bike into transition. My wife told me after the race that she thought I must have crashed by the way I was limping. Once I got to my transition area, I sat down for a minute or two and tried to recover a bit.

Not much else I could have done here.
Run
  • 52m 12s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I could barely walk into transition after riding the tri bike. I couldn't expect a whole lot more on the run. Basically all of the major muscles used for running felt great, but the muscles that I overworked on the tri bike hurt badly enough to slow me down significantly.

Nothing. The poor run performance was due mostly to the new bike, and I wouldn't change that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, then found a little patch of shade to sit in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've only been back at the training for 2 weeks at this point. I'm happy to have just finished the race. Also, I finished assembling the new tri bike at about 9:00 the night before the race. I had time to take it for a 1/2 mile ride around the block, and that's it. I'll train on it from here on out.

Event comments:

The course is beautiful, with low traffic. As with all TriUtah events, it was well organized. The only down side is that the spectator area was crowded, dusty and had little shade.

Last updated: 2006-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 117/224
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sleeveless Speedsuit
Course: The course was 2 triangular laps. The water was warm and murky at the beginning, but not so bad once we got away from the shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:02 | 24.9 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 56/224
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: The course had rolling hills with a significant net altitude climb over the 1st half until the turnaround point. Overall, it was a slower than average course by 1-2mph.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:12 | 06.22 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 122/224
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was a pretty flat run along an old rail line. It was a nice, wide dirt footpath. There was virtually no shade along the course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 12:30 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: XanGo Echo Challenge

2006-07-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: #484278

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Subject: RE: XanGo Echo Challenge
You know Dave, you're one of the best 6'8" triathletes that I know Tongue out!  I had no idea that you were only operating on a few minutes of sleep the night before.  Geez!  You really did well man, especially with little sleep and very little training.  I'm glad I'm escaping to DC in the fall because you're going to be one tough competitor come the fall!
2006-07-17 11:25 PM
in reply to: #485667

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks, although I really don't think the lack of sleep affected the time much. But I do wish you could stick around for the end of the season. We'll all miss having you around to train and race with.
2006-07-18 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Good race Dave... I knew it was over for me when I saw you at the turnaround on the run.  You always make these races look easy and effortless-standing tall and hardly breathing... Either that or you've got quite the poker face   You ended up with a good finish considering you came in ~7 min in front of me (or else I was slow as a turtle)!  You did great considering all of the factors working against you, i.e, your recent injuries, inability to train fully, new bike, etc.  I can't wait to see what you can do when you're all trained up on the new bike... Jordanelle, perhaps? 

We'll all have to make sure we get together often for training to make up for Drew's absence.  It just won't be the same crowd without him. Maybe if we incorporate a couple of the tough running workouts he's shared with us he'll be there "in spirit"

Keep up the good work Dave- We'll catch you soon for another good workout or two, and another race! 

2006-07-27 12:56 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'm catching up on reports I missed while I was off.  Congrats on a great race!  YOu are amazing.  I love the part about staying up so late to put the bike together.  We're all like kids aren't we?  New toy?  Can't put it down.  Got to have it.  I love it.  I would have done exactly the same thing.

2006-07-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: #495047

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Yeah, it did kind of feel like Christmas

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XanGo Echo Challenge Rss Feed