General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 52s
Overall Rank = 122/373
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 10/19
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat a peanut butter and honey sammich, but had a hard time getting it down. Set up my transition and grill (for bacon during transition). Not gonna lie, nerves got me a little, as I wasn't as prepared as I should have been.. DID take a Torch Pre-Burn.
Event warmup:

little bit of dynamic warm-up. Went into the lake to feel how cold the water was.... not as bad as I thought it would be.
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

must have been a little nervous -- tried to start the swim (no, not just the run part) with my swim mask perched nicely on top of my head...) mask filled up with water coming around last bouy, so I had to stop and turn over to clear. Also got kicked/hit a lot - lots of breast-stroke people. Also seemed to have a bottle neck of about 15 people who didn't seem to know how to turn at the first bouy.
What would you do differently?:

not sure - been 4 years since I was in a lake...
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck on heels, messed up a little putting on arm warmers. Other than that - guess I can't expect too much at this point.

... not decide to make bacon in transition?
Bike
  • 41m 24s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.85 mile/hr
Comments:

didn't start my Garmin until about 1/2 way through bike, so had no idea how fast I was going. There was a group of about 6 people that kept going back and forth, passing and being passed. The good thing about being in one of the last swimming waves was that there were a lot of people to pass, and not may that would pass me. The bad thing about being in one of the last swim waves was that there were a lot of people to pass...

not necessarily anything. I think I was pretty ok with the bike part....
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

still slow in transition... One day, this may change. Probably not, but I can still say that.

get in and out of transitions faster.
Run
  • 28m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started, legs felt dead. I DID make it "running" for the entire course, except during the time that I stopped to go to the bathroom. Lovely. During the run, I passed some people, and got passed by some people. I was able to give encouragement to those who I passed, as well as those who passed me. Maybe that means I should have been pushing a little more during the run... I did think the run would be my strongest part, but it was actually my worst part. Hmmm....

Not have to go to the bathroom while on the run... and push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around. Talked to Sandi, Jeanne and the boys, and my mom who came up for the race. Then cheered on the rest of the finishers, and also Chris who was doing the Olympic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not training enough.... didn't know I was doing this race until 5 days before it, so I guess I'm ok with everything. Overall had a good time, had fun, and makes me want to continue doing them....

Event comments:

Love this race and venue. Lake and surrounding area is AMAZING! They had a hard time getting volunteers for the event this year, which I knew going in... may have been a little better if they had been able to close at least a couple of roads, but overall it is a great venue.

Last updated: 2013-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 400 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 0/373
Performance: Average
Suit: abso-freakin'-lutely
Course: run/walk out to yellow bouy, turn left and swim to next bouy, then swim/walk/run back in... (I was good, I actually swam about 90% - could have walked a lot longer than I actually did)
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:24 | 12.4 miles | 17.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/19
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Only 1 hill, then rolling hills of Elkhart Lake...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/19
Performance: Below average
Course: 1 hill...... a freakin' big hill, but only 1 of them....
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-09 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by jkossman
Views: 965 Posts: 1

2012-06-14 6:35 PM jkossman

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by avanti
Views: 1133 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 8:43 PM avanti

Started by WIRachuba
Views: 1111 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 8:09 AM WIRachuba

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Gitterdone
Views: 1298 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 7:57 PM Gitterdone

Started by Jennifers
Views: 923 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 4:33 PM Jennifers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?