2013-06-09 11:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jdl2012 2013-06-09 11:54 PM

2013-06-10 12:04 AM
in reply to: jdl2012

Pro
Subject: RE: Swim form and cadence?

Originally posted by jdl2012 My pace is 2:11 / 100 meter for a 4500 meter no drafting, slightly better than 2:00 / 100 meter drafting for 1500 meter. I can't seem to improve though. I try to increase cadence and it just wears me down fast if it try to pull through the entire stroke. I have been told I need to use the big muscles more: lats and biceps, as a guy looked at my stroke and said I am waisting a ton of energy. I try to accommodate and get a form I see "nobody" else doing, but it does seem easier and uses a little less energy... but no speed increase. I watch these young kids swim and they have a high cadence, and they are pulling all the way through on their stroke. They are fast and look effortless as well. I have probably been swimming longer than them in years, but I can't do anything close.

I am not a fast swimmer, but I watch fast swimmers alot.......I'm talking 4:40 - 5:00 for 500 SCY swimmers.  They have a balance in the water that I don't have.  Yes, even they would describe much of their swimming as effortless, or at least the idea of being able to relax as they swim 1:15-1:20 hundreds.  I think it's hard to learn that balance when we learn to swim later in life.....at least it has been for me.  The people I watch are all 15 and under.

2013-06-10 12:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

2013-06-10 2:32 AM
in reply to: 0

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I started swimming from scratch and the cycling more-T.I.T.S principle (Time In The Saddle) applies to swimming as well; the more I swam the more comfortable and relaxed I got in the water. That improved my form and endurance. I'm still got good but I am significantly better.

So yeah... T.I.T.S!

Edited by Dnn 2013-06-10 2:32 AM
2013-06-10 3:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by jdl2012

My pace is 2:11 / 100 meter for a 4500 meter no drafting, slightly better than 2:00 / 100 meter drafting for 1500 meter. I can't seem to improve though. I try to increase cadence and it just wears me down fast if it try to pull through the entire stroke. I have been told I need to use the big muscles more: lats and biceps, as a guy looked at my stroke and said I am waisting a ton of energy. I try to accommodate and get a form I see "nobody" else doing, but it does seem easier and uses a little less energy... but no speed increase.

I watch these young kids swim and they have a high cadence, and they are pulling all the way through on their stroke. They are fast and look effortless as well. I have probably been swimming longer than them in years, but I can't do anything close.

Everyone has a cadence they feel more comfortable at. When you up the cadence often your technique will suffer, and you won't become faster nor more efficient. So, trying to increase cadence, go only so far as you can still maintain good technique. Watching some swimsmooth videos it seems that we can become more efficient at a slightly higher cadence, but it takes time to get used to.

Mostly you should use your lats for pulling the arm, that implies rotating upper body more, half way through the stroke your shoulders may make as much as a 30-45 degree angle with the water. This has the added advantage of getting the other shoulder out of the water reducing drag when you advance the arm and you're less likely to dip your hand on the way. Use biceps/triceps to maintain arm position/"high elbow".

A drill you can do to practice upper body rotation is the HIA - hand in armpit - when you advance the arm you should relax the elbow and let the lower arm swing forward like a pendulum, touching the armpit on the way. The rotation should be driven by your stroke.

BR, Erik
2013-06-10 7:12 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

2013-06-10 7:14 PM

2013-06-11 3:50 PM

I agree with Eric, check out swimsmooth.com You'll find some helpful articles and videos that will help with your body position and drills for technique.

Something you might want to pay more attention to is your catch. IMO you will get a lot more out of an effective feel for the water then trying to increase your cadence. A high cadence with improper technique/catch is not going to get you there much faster.
2013-06-11 4:43 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

I agree with the above. At your speed, it's almost certainly a much higher ROI to work on catch than cadence - fortunately, a faster cadence will also come naturally with a better catch.

The catch is a lot more subtle than most people think. It's not as simple as sticking your hand in the water and forcing it back as hard as you can. Really try and FEEL the water, and how smooth the pulling motion can be, while grabbing as much water as you possibly can with each stroke (which will actually decrease your cadence, but not your lap speed.) Even if you do hard 25-50s to work on top speed, focus on grabbing that water, and keeping a low stroke count. For your speed, you absolutely should focus on decreasing your stroke count - the good swimmers can ignore it, but for your level of swimming, I guarantee you can bring it down with a better catch.

Fortunately, once you get that catch improved, the cadence will naturally follow. ALso note that a good catch absolutely requires swim fitness. It is NOT 'just technique' contrary to what some swimming fish will say. It takes a good amount of hard work, with some hard swim efforts (but with as clean form as possible) to build those catch muscles and to train them to grab the water even at a higher cadence.

If you're doing it right, in a typical community pool or YMCA that isn't populated with competitive swimmers or triathletes, you will probably have (by far) the lowest cadence of any swimmer in the pool despite being faster than most (all) of them.
2013-06-11 5:12 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
My personal belief is that the "2:00/100 barrier" is a matter of technique. If you have any means of working one-on-one with a coach, you will see results. Garunteed.

Time in the pool has a big benifit as well. There are people who believe that anything less than 10k a week is just maintenence.

I've seen some significant improvements by going over 10k a week. YMMV...
2013-06-11 11:52 PM

Veteran
Great White North
A big part of the horizontal balance is keeping the body level. Most adult male triathletes swim with low legs and dorsi flexed feet aka anchors...

The other factor that is often overlooked is most triathletes have poor body awareness in the water. You think you are doing x when really you are doing y.

2013-06-11 11:55 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Veteran
Great White North
2013-06-11 11:59 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo A big part of the horizontal balance is keeping the body level. Most adult male triathletes swim with low legs and dorsi flexed feet aka anchors... The other factor that is often overlooked is most triathletes have poor body awareness in the water. You think you are doing x when really you are doing y.

That's EXACTLY what I pick up from watching fast kids swim.  

2013-06-12 12:05 AM

Pro

That's very cool.  A 2:06 200 is something I'll never attain, or come close to......and then I watch an entire pool full of 14-15 year olds who can beat it.  I'm amazed by people who can really swim.  

I'm not trying to take anything away from your swim at your age......again, amazing!

2013-06-12 12:26 AM

Veteran
Great White North
That 2:06 to be fair came after racing 50 fly, 100 fly then 200 fly, 200 bk, 200 br in very short order and then 200 free followed by 200 IM. My life pr is 1:52 scm with relay splits of 1:51 being not out of the ordinary. Notice my cadence is still slower than the lane beside me (kyle marcotte ... ironman canada podium guy).
2013-06-12 12:41 AM

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo That 2:06 to be fair came after racing 50 fly, 100 fly then 200 fly, 200 bk, 200 br in very short order and then 200 free followed by 200 IM. My life pr is 1:52 scm with relay splits of 1:51 being not out of the ordinary. Notice my cadence is still slower than the lane beside me (kyle marcotte ... ironman canada podium guy).

Dude...like I said, I have great respect for your swimming.....but I have come to realize that truly good swimming, like yours, is a product of learning the basics at a very young age....and I don't care what anyone says, it's all about being balanced in the water. (as you said)   

People can learn to swim fairly well later in life....but realistically, virtually nobody who learns to swim as an adult is going to go under 2:00 for 200.  I watch 14-15 year old kids do it all the time....it's truly astounding for someone like me, who didn't learn to swim until I was in my 20's......30 years later and I can go 1:35 for 100 on a good day.....once.

I pick my kid up and say, "how was practice?"...he says, "it was good, we did 30 100's on 1:10 for the main set"....WTF??? Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-06-12 12:43 AM

2013-06-12 8:19 AM

Veteran
Great White North
they don't have them training LCM right now? 1:10 sounds like a yards interval for that age group.
2013-06-12 8:33 AM

Pro

Yeah, they're in long course now....and I couldn't tell you what the intervals are....practice is at 5am....I'm still asleep. Laughing

2013-06-12 8:36 AM

Veteran
Great White North
fun times had by all.
2013-06-12 9:22 AM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by simpsonbo That 2:06 to be fair came after racing 50 fly, 100 fly then 200 fly, 200 bk, 200 br in very short order and then 200 free followed by 200 IM. My life pr is 1:52 scm with relay splits of 1:51 being not out of the ordinary. Notice my cadence is still slower than the lane beside me (kyle marcotte ... ironman canada podium guy).

Dude...like I said, I have great respect for your swimming.....but I have come to realize that truly good swimming, like yours, is a product of learning the basics at a very young age....and I don't care what anyone says, it's all about being balanced in the water. (as you said)   

People can learn to swim fairly well later in life....but realistically, virtually nobody who learns to swim as an adult is going to go under 2:00 for 200.  I watch 14-15 year old kids do it all the time....it's truly astounding for someone like me, who didn't learn to swim until I was in my 20's......30 years later and I can go 1:35 for 100 on a good day.....once.

I pick my kid up and say, "how was practice?"...he says, "it was good, we did 30 100's on 1:10 for the main set"....WTF??? Laughing

Dude I so hear what your saying!  My kids swim workouts these days just blow me away. All the tri dads sit and watch the meets in total ah of what they can do in the pool, we always say "wish I learned how to swim at that age!"

Over the past 3 years, my son has gone from a crank the cadence and splash away BOP to the total opposite slow cadence long glide MOP swimmer.  At this past weekends swim meet all the parents are amazed at his glide and slow turnover.  His physical stature is small in comparison to other 13-14 YO.  Now the coach is on him to increase his turnover and we just bought him a Tempo Trainer.

OP, have you seen the BT TI video, How to Swim Faster: Guaranteed, Not Guesswork.  There are so many little things in the 40 min video I found very useful.

2013-06-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: Donto

Veteran
Great White North
I was the short skinny kid until I was 14 and routinely destroyed most of the taller kids, I swam a high cadence fly and free. I dropped loads of time as I got bigger and stronger going from top 10 -20 in Canada in my age group to top 8 overall (with a peak of 3rd at Canadian Open) . I guess I learns cadence first and built strength and technique around it.

2013-06-12 9:52 AM

Edited by jdl2012 2013-06-12 9:54 AM
2013-06-12 12:37 PM

If you want to increase speed and endurance without increasing effort, ROTATE YOUR HIPS, PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN and KEEP YOUR ELBOWS HIGH.

The power in your stroke does not come from your shoulders, your arms, your back. It comes from your hips. If you rotate and open up your hips, your breathing will be easier, you'll be able to reach farther, and you'll be able to pull back farther, making your stroke longer and more balanced. A good drill to practice this is to kick on your side with the bottom hand out straight, and your top arm down at your side. Kick for the count of ten, and then take a stroke onto the other side, and repeat. That's how long your stroke should be, and how it will finish if you are rotating your hips when swimming.

You also have to put your head down when you swim. I don't mean look directly at the bottom of the pool/lake/bay/whatever, but at about a 45 degree angle to the bottom. When you swim, the water line should be about 1" past the average hair line. If you can see straight ahead, your head isn't down far enough. You have to think of the human body as a board. If your head is up, your feet will be down, and you'll feel like you're dragging your legs through hummus. The best swimmers look as if they aren't under the water at all because they have their heads down and their stroke reach is long, and their count is low.

Your elbows should NEVER be lower than your wrists at any point in your stroke. You should almost drag your fingers across the water, enter the water almost straight out ahead of your head, and then bend at the elbow when pulling through. Think of it like you're climbing a rock wall: You'd bend at the elbows to give yourself more power up the wall as your hand goes down your body. Straight arms = sore shoulders.
2013-06-12 2:49 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I was "stuck" at 2:00/100 m for my first year. I had great line in the water, good stroke etc, but lost energy quickly when upping the cadence. I pulled with my arm fully stretched out down into the water which I understand is old school. Then I started to follow Andy Potts, and tried something new - the high elbow catch However, I couldn't get it right because I'm not physiologically adapted yet, so instead of doing my deep pull pretty much just pull the arm back without resistance - and my 1500 m pace dropped to 1:45/100 m instantly. It was amazing and confounding - here I am pulling my arm back without resistance and I'm faster! Because I spend less energy pulling, I can increase the cadence. Of course I"m still rotating and extending forward (I tend to be a front quadrant swimmer). Slowly, the correct high elbow catch and pull is setting in and I'm getting even more efficient, and faster.

So my advice is, if you pull deep, don't. just extend, drop that arm into the water and pull it back shallow with almost no energy spent. Get that elbow out of the water and repeat. You might just go faster.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-06-12 2:50 PM
2013-06-12 8:54 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Originally posted by Left Brain

People can learn to swim fairly well later in life....but realistically, virtually nobody who learns to swim as an adult is going to go under 2:00 for 200.

I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one. I started competitive swimming as a sophomore in high school. During those years I only had workouts September to March. I didn't belong to a swim club. I was an ok high school swimmer. Nothing special. After being out of the water for a decade I returned to swim masters when I was 29 - 30 and went on to swim my best times. Much better than my high school years. I think if you commit yourself to swimming in your 20's and 30's (and some people in their 40's) you can be a FOP on the swim leg at your local tri.

However, a multi-sport athlete doesn't usually have the luxury of spending so much time in the pool. That is why I strongly recommend to people that they commit a lot of time on swimming during the off season. Improvements in form will carry over as you place more emphasis on training the run & bike later in the season.

I think if you learn to swim in your 20's you might (and this is total speculation) be able to go 2:00 SCM. Maybe even if you didn't learn until your very early 30's. However it would have to a very special athlete with a strong background in competitive athletics. A wingspan of six feet, seven inches and a size 14 shoe size would also help a lot (Michael Phelps).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim form and cadence? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Run Cadence and Form

Started by ndame88
Views: 4767 Posts: 20

2012-01-10 9:16 AM alath

poor swim form

Started by boneyard
Views: 1085 Posts: 8

2006-03-28 6:31 PM AdventureBear

Swim Form Question

Started by markg72
Views: 927 Posts: 5

2006-01-24 1:08 PM markg72

Runner's World and swimming form

Started by akabak
Views: 730 Posts: 4

2005-04-28 4:34 PM akabak

Swim form...roll or no?

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 908 Posts: 8

2005-04-20 5:25 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 22, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?
date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.