Cambridge, Maryland
United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Total Time = 5h 43m 24s
Overall Rank = 842/2100
Age Group = F55-59
Age Group Rank = 9/36
Pre-race routine:

Frank, Stacey and I stayed at our usual room at the Hampton Inn in Easton. That was very convenient, especially since we had 2 extra bathrooms right outside of our door. We were up at 3:15 a.m. and out of the parking lot at 4:15. (Not that I was able to sleep much anyway.)

There were a lot of people at the race site when we arrived but we were still able to get a decent parking spot. No shuttle for us!

We took our time getting into transition. With the new race director this year, the transition area was set up in a different pattern. In my opinion, it wasn't an improvement but it was okay for me. The racks were extremely tight.

All of the porta potties were located close to the river, so it was always a long walk. I did not think that was very convenient. Other people were complaining, too.

The transition area was a bit wet at this point but not too bad (yet).

I saw Wendy Robinson in the transition area. She broke a stem pumping up her tire. She ran off to the bike mechanics to have the tube replaced. She was a bit frantic.

I also saw Mark and Marie Dean, Sharon and Skip, Mike Knoopf, and Monica from High Roads Multisport Club.

Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 37m 42s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I stood next to Sister Madonna Buder at the swim start. I wished I had my camera.

I felt like I had a decent swim. I was able to site well and didn't have a lot of people around me. However, I didn't have anyone to draft off of this year. That would've been nice but I have no complaints. I did feel some seas nettles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Okay. Here's where it started to get messy. They moved the location of the bike-out. It made for a longer trek over the field, which had turned to a complete muddy mess. Todd Wiley had told Sharon to carry her shoes out and then put them on. I thought about that and then decided that my feet would be too muddy. I ran out with my shoes on. The mud wasn't too deep at this point--one of the advantages of being in an early wave.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought my bike computer was messed up because the miles didn't seem to be ticking off fast enough. When I hit the first bottle exchange, I realized it was accurate.

I spent my time eating, drinking and trying to keep my cadence up. I tend to try to push a higher gear, which isn't the right thing to do.

It was depressing watching 6 people in my age group go by...very depressing!

I consumed one pack of Clif Bloks, one choc. Power Bar, 5 Endurolytes (total), one GU. As far as drinks, I finished the two watered down Gatorades I brought and consumed 2 water bottles and half of a yellow Gatorade from the course. I really dislike yellow Gatorade. I chased it down with water.

As usual, there was lots of roadkill on this course. I saw a racoon, a snake and some bird with such a huge beak that it looked like something you'd see on Jurassic Park.
What would you do differently?:

Get a tri bike. It's time! (If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.)
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

I can hardly describe the mucky mess coming back into the transition area. There was no way I could run. The mud was ankle deep and there was a really long stretch of it. I contemplated carrying my bike but then decided I was too tired for that. I was slipping and sliding and I could feel my shoes filling up. Ugh!

As luck would have it, I had a leftover bottle of water in the transition area. I used that to wash off my feet. I Aquaphored them and put my socks and shoes on. Here's where one of those water pans would've come in handy. The transiton area was so tight, though, that there would have been nowhere to put it anyway.
Run
  • 2h 00m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to try to run the whole race (for a change). This was my fifth time in this race and I've never managed to run the whole thing. With the cooler temps this year, I finally managed to do it. I'm not saying it wasn't hot--it was, but I didn't see the human carnage this year. There were less people walking and I was one of them not walking. Yay!

I felt some blisters forming on my feet, especially for the last three miles, but I managed to ignore them. I also had the left calf cramp threatening for the last four miles or so, so I had to be careful not to push too hard.

I didn't take any Endurolytes but I did take one GU at about mile 7. I dumped the ice in my sports bra at every aid station and then it rattled until the next aid station. (I was a noisy runner.)

I had some Gatorade but mostly water. I'm very thankful that the drinks are always cold for this run.

I managed to pass two women in my age group after the turnaround. I passed about 45 people total but more than that passed me.

I saw Ed after the turnaround. He didn't seem that far back. He had started 20 minutes after me. I was sure he was going to catch and pass me but he never did.

I saw Stacey coming in on the bike as I was coming in on run. I always see her in the same section--what they labeled "the lava field" this year. She yelled something about having no brakes.
Post race
Warm down:

My second goal was to not need the medical tent. Mission accomplished!

I waited at the finished for a little bit for Ed but I didn't see him. I went to the transition area to get my dry clothes and to change my sneakers. My blisters felt pretty bad. After hiking over to the porta potties...way too far away...I changed and then went back to the finish area to look for Ed. I never found him. (Turns out, he was in medical.) The medical tent was far away, too. It was not close to the finish; therefore, not convenient when looking for people.

Instead of sitting under a tree resting like I usually do, I wandered around looking for Frank for what seemed like a long time. I found Bart. He told me that he thought Frank was finished but that Stacey wasn't finished yet. I realized that if Frank was finished, he'd be waiting at the finish for Stacey. When I went over there, I was shocked to see Frank finishing and he didn't look good. Just then, Ed showed up. The two of us took Frank to medical. He was having an ear problem. He said he couldn't hear out of one ear and his voice sounded really weak. He was also light headed. (They ended up not doing anything for Frank. They told him to go to the hospital. That was not happening.)

I got sunburned wandered around looking for everyone.

When I went over to the race results board, I was dismayed to find out I was 9th. I was hoping for at least 5th. I've never done worse than 5th at this race. There were just so many fast women here this year. I think that's because this is the only half ironman left that you can win a Kona slot. They fly in from all over for this race. They had announced in the morning that there were athletes from 29 different countries in attendance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who the hell knows?

Event comments:

I think this was the best year weatherwise for this race. However, the transition area mess was not too enjoyable. Lots of people were getting their bikes sprayed off but I just didn't have the energy to take mine over there.

When we were walking back to the car afterwards, one of the Cambridge residents had his hose out and he cleaned off Frank and Stacey's bike. I didn't clean mine off because the mud was dry and I was putting it inside the car.

Last updated: 2012-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:42 | 1931 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/36
Overall: 491/2100
Performance: Good
Suit: Long-sleeve wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:38 | 56 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/36
Overall: 0/2100
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:00:36 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 0/2100
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-10 6:50 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2013-06-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4771692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Nice job, Linda. Sounded like a solid effort and a great training day for Lake Placid.
2013-06-11 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4771692

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Wait until next year when all the 55 year olds will be out of the way! Now on to LP!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2461 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4363 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2212 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2046 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2057 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.