General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim/Bike VS Swim/Run Bricks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-17 7:42 AM

Subject: Swim/Bike VS Swim/Run Bricks
Hi to all you experienced Triathloners!!

I'm in the throes of training for my very first triathlon season.. a mini in August and an Olympic in September. So far the training has gone pretty well. Its quite different from me in that my previous exercise life consisted of much more weight training/shorter cardio sessions. I've been lurking for a few weeks and have enjoyed reading all of the helpful info.. its a great forum!

My question is in regard to the Brick schedule. Most of the training plans that I have seen always pair up swim/bike together as opposed to bike/run.. Why is that? In my world of strength training, it seems to me that bike/run should go together one day , than swimming the next day. My reason being that if you are exhausting your legs on the bike/run day, than you should swim the next day to let your legs recover a bit before doing it again.

Also, because that bike/run transistion is challenging, would it make sense to train that way to get used to that feeling of the switch?

I'd love to get a better understanding of why alot of the plans do it this way.. Thanks so much in advance to anybody who can give me some enlightenment!

Take care, Lynn

2006-07-17 8:13 AM
in reply to: #484357

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Swim/Bike VS Swim/Run Bricks
I think that you'll find the majority, if not all, of the available training plans on this site have both swim/bike and bike/run brick workouts. This is also true of the couple books that I've read.
2006-07-17 8:25 AM
in reply to: #484357

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Swim/Bike VS Swim/Run Bricks
Bricks help your body to be more ready when you transition during a race from swim to bike and bike to run. I have found that swim/run bricks have also helped me a lot. I actually do swim/run bricks one to two times a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim/Bike VS Swim/Run Bricks Rss Feed