Max Performance
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 50s
Overall Rank = 138/512
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/36
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 630! due to the delayed start. new start time was 1030.

got to site at 8. checked in and got set up. had two hours to kill. chatted with teammates, then chatted with the wife a bit. Myles was staying with his grandparents so didn't attend this race.

had blueberry waffles w/ peanut butter for breakfast.
ate a package of gu chomps 30 minutes before the race.

did not have watch so constantly had to ask the time.
Event warmup:

had a long time to kill before the race. so I may have warmed up more than i usually do.

ran about 1 mile

swam twice. once about 30 minutes before the start.
second time about 5 minutes before we walked to the start.

Swim
  • 08m 25s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

thought i started out a little slow. I started off to the extreme right and behind by aobut 1 yard. had I sen how wide the start line was earlier, I could have gone more right and had clear water right at the start line. start line was probably 50-70 yards wide. for some reason most of my wave started right next to the left buoy and were all jammed in.

rest of swim went great. felt real good in the water. i sucked in a bunch of water right before the swim exit. someone splashed water right at me, just as I turned to breathe.

What would you do differently?:

nothing. other than maybe start more to the right, but I ran out of time before i could move.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

longish run to my bike. had a little difficulty taking my suit off again. keep forgetting i need to sit down and just rip it off. can't do it from a standing position. need to figure out logistics a bit better. need to practice jumping on bike with shoes already attached. may save time on both t1 and the bike. as you will see.

get better at taking wet suit off while standing. difficult as I'm am very light headed and dizzy. bending over causes me to lose my balance.

practice getting on bike with shoes already attached.
Bike
  • 27m
  • 8.5 miles
  • 18.89 mile/hr
Comments:

came out of t1, jumped on bike. couldn't get shoes attached to pedals. had to stop, so I didn't run over the photographer. that would have been quite the picture.

i had a good pace going. i didn't drink much at all. it was only 8.5 miles. but maybe should have had a bit more scratch labs drink. good effort. not quite as fast as i'd like. but no off-season bike fitness. so i'm pretty happy.

was constantly checking my cadence. it was at 100. but it probably dipped below 90.
might have been able to crank up a gear or too. But I felt very comfortable at that cadence and pace. a harder gear may have slowed me down.

did not take the bike out on the road at all before the race. this hindered two things. one my neck was killing me, and two, i was overconfident in my ability to take my feet out of my shoes and riding on the tops. I had an issue and had to stop, and restart. Not fun.

I probably lost about 1-2 minutes in getting on and off the bike.

Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

best t2 I've ever had. i had my race belt already on, just took my helmet off and put my sneakers on and i was off.

very happy with t2, so no complaints. probably the only time I passed anyone all day.

Run
  • 23m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

this run did not feel this fast. i did not pass a single person, and got passed by about 10-12. I could not keep up with anyone either. more run fitness, get faster, or at least get more comfortable with going this fast.

if i had my watch, i would have realized I was close to breaking an hour,so may have pushed more. as it was. I pushed once, and started getting side stitch. should have kept that pace. I definitely could have. it felt like I didn't have the legs to. but the bike was only 8.5. So I most likely did.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental. I should have pushed more on the run. I felt sluggish, but knew I could perform better. At the time I did not know I was at the top end of my running speed, but still felt I could have gone faster.

Event comments:

Only one issue with a volunteer. She was changing the flag to someone else as I came up to a corner. No one told me a hard right was immediately ahead. So had to jam the breaks so I didn't miss the turn. Thankfully I knew the course, so was prepared for it.

Didn't stick around for much of the post race. Had to get back and help my wife set up for her party.

Last updated: 2013-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:25 | 586 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 104/512
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:27:00 | 08.5 miles | 18.89 mile/hr
Overall: 183/512
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back. shortened due to flooding from rains the night before
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:39 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 181/512
Performance: Good
Course: weird loop. with some overlaps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-10 12:26 PM

New user

Subject: Escape the Cape Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape the Cape Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape The Cape Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1117 Posts: 1

2010-06-14 11:26 AM BradyFinney

Escape the Cape Triathlon

Started by jxhen19
Views: 1210 Posts: 3

2010-06-14 8:10 PM isis

Started by vm354
Views: 1463 Posts: 3

2010-06-14 6:22 PM c2fd

Started by c2fd
Views: 1773 Posts: 4

2010-06-27 8:41 PM tri_again

Started by isis
Views: 3065 Posts: 9

2010-06-28 6:50 AM TriToy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
comments : 0
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.