General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone use Triggerpoint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-10 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: Anyone use Triggerpoint?

I have been having some hip pain lately after I run & when I was in my LRS a few weeks ago the owner showed me some trigger point tools - a footballer, a quadballer, and some tennis balls and showed me how to work my quads & calves with them. It really helped so I went ahead and purchased the set. I had a race coming up in about a week so i set them aside not wanting to try somehting new right before a race.

I pulled them out tonight and went through the DVDs and some you tubes. There seems to be a learning curve to using them, but i really think they will be beneficial.

Just wondering does anyone else use these?

If so, do you have any tips or suggestions?

2013-06-10 11:20 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Anyone use Triggerpoint?

I've used them when I have a really deep or persistent issue.  My favorite is the grid roller for my ITB issues and then the massage ball for a multitude of areas.  For the grid roller I always take it especially slow from knee to hip about 10 times resting on my elbow and the upper leg resting on the lower leg so there is a lot of body weight on the roller.  If I find a spot that seems especially tight, I'll make sure the square grid is properly aligned under that spot and let it sit there for about 15 seconds then slowwwwly roll it down a few inches then back, and repeat until that spot is relaxed.  Also important for the ITB is the hip flexor, so you need to make sure you give it the same treatment. 

The ball is, for me, much more versatile and I've used it from the shoulder to the hip/glutes to the calves to the bottom of the foot.  It has the perfect combination of firmness and give that lets it get deeply into the knotted or simply overly tight areas.  The way I use it is what I call focused patience.  I put the ball directly under the spot that is tight/knotted the slowly transfer as much weight as I possibly can onto it.  Then keep it there.  Until I really can't any more.  Then slowly lift up for about a 10 count and repeat a few times.  It can be quite painful when you first get it going and you may find you can only put a certain amount of weight on it, but by the third rep you should be able to have a lot more weight on it as the tight area relaxes. 

2013-06-11 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have the quadroller and love it. I used it along with a foam roller to treat and prevent ITBS a while back. Not much of learning curve- get down on floor and go to work. Good products.
2013-06-11 11:22 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

New user
I have the ball and it is great at getting in the very tight hard to stretch areas. I have hip pain when I run and started using the ball for my hip, I do exactly what was stated above, just let it work its way in the really tight muscle and slowly releases it. I do agree it is painful when you hit the right area(just like deep muscle massage) but it works.
2013-06-11 3:48 PM
in reply to: mikealti62

Ack-- Still have the receipt? Those things are so overpriced. Use a baseball and save a hundred bucks. Regardless of implement, my wife (who knows about these kinds of things) recommends me the following:
--quick motion back and forth across the irritated muscle
--quick motion along the length of the affected spot
--put it right under the spot and just lean into it.

And remember: nothing said while engaging in foam rolling can be held against you in a court of law.

Seriously, though-- baseball, tennis ball and golf ball is the lineup for me!
2013-06-11 6:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-11 8:19 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
So is this to be done: After every training? As needed when pain is noticed?Regularly, a couple of times a week?
2013-06-11 9:37 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
It turns out rolling won't do anything to alleviate ITBS. I am the sad owner of the stick, trigger point anda foam roller. I too ave been sucked in by probably the biggest mis information in running. http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/itb-or-not-itb-that-is-the-questi...
2013-06-11 10:36 PM
in reply to: kingofbanff

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by kingofbanff It turns out rolling won't do anything to alleviate ITBS. I am the sad owner of the stick, trigger point anda foam roller. I too ave been sucked in by probably the biggest mis information in running. http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/itb-or-not-itb-that-is-the-questi...
That's actually a very informative article and I'm going to study it more to look at the preventative side of the equation and discuss with my ART doc.  As stated above, rolling the hip flexor/tensor fasciae latae is a part of my solution as that is one of the insertion points.  I'm not a doctor and have no studies to back up my options, but have struggled with ITBS and do get relief from rolling the combination of the TFL and IT band.  I understand that you are not necessarily relaxing the IT band itself, but I think that you are relaxing the underlying musculature which is causing the ITB to be put under more tension and thus inducing or worsening the pain at the knee or the hip.  For me it is simple, if I roll I get relief and can run, if I don't and run, it worsens.  My 2 cents.

Melody, in response to your question as to when and how often, I always try to get it when it is a simple discomfort to prevent it from becoming actual pain.  If something is nagging, I'll do it in the morning, then before and after a workout.  I always do some LIGHT stretching before just to loosen things up, but not enough to exacerbate the discomfort. 

2013-06-11 10:44 PM
in reply to: TTom

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Originally posted by TTom

Originally posted by kingofbanff It turns out rolling won't do anything to alleviate ITBS. I am the sad owner of the stick, trigger point anda foam roller. I too ave been sucked in by probably the biggest mis information in running. http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/itb-or-not-itb-that-is-the-questi...
That's actually a very informative article and I'm going to study it more to look at the preventative side of the equation and discuss with my ART doc.  As stated above, rolling the hip flexor/tensor fasciae latae is a part of my solution as that is one of the insertion points.  I'm not a doctor and have no studies to back up my options, but have struggled with ITBS and do get relief from rolling the combination of the TFL and IT band.  I understand that you are not necessarily relaxing the IT band itself, but I think that you are relaxing the underlying musculature which is causing the ITB to be put under more tension and thus inducing or worsening the pain at the knee or the hip.  For me it is simple, if I roll I get relief and can run, if I don't and run, it worsens.  My 2 cents.

Melody, in response to your question as to when and how often, I always try to get it when it is a simple discomfort to prevent it from becoming actual pain.  If something is nagging, I'll do it in the morning, then before and after a workout.  I always do some LIGHT stretching before just to loosen things up, but not enough to exacerbate the discomfort. 

I think I'll start a new thread on it. I concur with you that I always "felt" rolling was helping.
2013-06-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: kingofbanff

Master
MidWest
I have the roller and I originally bought it for hip pain after a run, but now I use it as needed.  Sometimes I just need to use it after waking up from sleeping weirdly.  I love it and am glad I got it!  I have used it on my feet, but I also use a tennis ball for my feet as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone use Triggerpoint? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triggerpoint thread

Started by merlin2375
Views: 1127 Posts: 5

2009-06-01 10:34 AM ultrahip_00

Anyone used/using the "Be Ironfit" plan for 05/06

Started by LSD
Views: 1310 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 2:20 PM LSD

Has anyone used CTS for multisport?

Started by roxx
Views: 519 Posts: 1

2004-06-05 9:26 AM roxx

Anyone here have or used an Endless Pool?

Started by DRM
Views: 3763 Posts: 10

2004-04-02 4:29 AM seth

Has anyone used CTS Training Systems

Started by triman50
Views: 860 Posts: 3

2004-03-09 9:45 PM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 4, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on how to properly kick, sculling, the 3/4 catch-up drill, hand entry mechanics and the utility of using fins, buoys, paddles and kick board. PLUS the top pool mistake.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on swim drills and improvement, kicking in a wetsuit, swimming backwards and ankle flexibility, hand entry, the pull, hip rotation and using paddles and pull buoys.