Experience Triathlon
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 14s
Overall Rank = 290/509
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 26/35
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00a. Cup of coffee, bagel and a glass of orange juice. Quick shower and in the car. The race is only about 5 minutes away so I got there a little before 5a. Was able to park pretty close. Picked up timing chip and got body marked. Off to transition setup. This was my first tri so also my first setup. I had gone over everything the night before so I felt pretty good. I didn't forget anything.
Event warmup:

I didn't do anything for warmup except some stretching. I did do some rolling with the foam roller before I left home.
Swim
  • 08m 32s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew that swimming was going to be my worst part of the event and I didn't disappoint myself. I felt pretty good on the first lap but on the second lap I started to get jostled and kicked a little so that shook me. I swam to the ladder to catch my breath and gather myself and continued on. I think my real goal was just to get out of the water and get to the bike which I did. A note on this course for anyone who may do it in the future, the back part of the swim is very shallow and difficult to swim in. It is a beach so most people actually ran probably 75 yards along the beach.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to continue to work with a swim coach and get in the open water with a group and do some swimming.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

I felt pretty good getting out of the water but my rack was way to the back of transition in a parking lot with a lot of loose rocks that I wasn't prepared for so that slowed me down. Just tried to catch my breath, get my wetsuit off and get bike gear on. I didn't think I did bad but 4:26 tells be otherwise. I was hoping for around 2:30 but I'll blame it on the distance from swim to bike and then I had to go all the way back thru transition to get to the mount line.

Not much....just move my a$$
Bike
  • 46m 27s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

In my mind I wanted to average 20mph but realistically I would be happy with 17mph so close to 19 mph makes me very happy. Only the 3rd ride on the new bike and 2nd with aero bottle so I wasn't aero as much as I would have liked. The roads were not completely closed so occasionally you would be overtaken by a car. I passed more riders then I got passed by so I would call it a success.

not much. Just more training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Run start was way back where my spot was so that cut down on transition from T1. Got bike racked OK, shoes off and running shoes on ok.

Need to think about a lacing system to save some time getting shoes on.
Run
  • 34m 55s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't have my heart rate monitor on but I could tell it was high when I got off the bike. I ran out of transition to clear the area but then needed to walk for a bit to try and get heart rate under control. I was looking for an 8:30 pace so 8:43 was OK. Could have been better but at mile 2 I needed to use the potty and there was only one with one person in and another waiting so that definitely cost me time, I should have just used the trees :) Considering the issues I was having with my achilles tendon the last week or so I was happy I was able to finish. At around mile 2.5 I could feel it tightening up but I knew if I stopped to try and stretch it would probably get worse so I just ran through it.

More brick workouts!
Post race
Warm down:

Had a Sam Adams and got stretched out by ATI physical therapy. Just took in the atmosphere and enjoyed the fact that I had finished and other than T1 my times were what I was expecting. I was looking for a time of 1:35:00. There were plenly of places to find that 2:14 so I'm not discouraged.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band and achilles issues for the last month so I really cut back on my training.

Event comments:

With the Racine HIM coming up in 6 weeks I need to hit it hard. I'm pretty sure I can manage the bike and run but I really need to stepup the swimming!

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:32 | 437 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/509
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: two laps around the quarry.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:27 | 14.7 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:55 | 04.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: nicely shaded run along the river path. Had to share with Sunday walkers and riders
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-10 8:58 PM

User image

Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2013-06-14 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4772764

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Hey Buddy!! Congrats on a very solid first race. Batavia was my first tri in 2008 and yes the swim is weird but Its a great race for 1st timers.Best of luck at Racine. Swim is great there!!! Point to point along the shore and if you breath out of your right side its very easy to sight there and the waves will not be an issue trying to breath. Roads there are pretty bumpy and the run is great with great support!! It has been pretty hot there the last few years. Good Luck!! Great report!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Batavia Triathlon

Started by nuorder
Views: 1926 Posts: 5

2006-06-16 2:08 PM kesa28

Batavia Triathlon

Started by tvwatters
Views: 1598 Posts: 1

2006-06-12 11:26 PM tvwatters

Batavia Triathlon

Started by Grizdog
Views: 1887 Posts: 2

2006-06-12 9:43 PM KathyG

Batavia Triathlon

Started by cirquedusulit
Views: 2106 Posts: 1

2006-06-11 10:37 PM cirquedusulit

Batavia Triathlon

Started by Whizzer
Views: 1145 Posts: 9

2004-06-30 3:53 PM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.