General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Crazy to Make Hagg Lake My First Olympic Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-10 10:32 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: Am I Crazy to Make Hagg Lake My First Olympic Tri?
Hey, out there,

I'm suffering from a self-doubt crisis right now, so I thought I'd throw out a question to the community!

I've done a handful of sprint tris over the past couple years, the most recent a couple days ago at Blue Lake, and am hoping to move up to the Olympic distance at this summer. Timing wise, Hagg Lake works out the best for me, and I've been training with it in mind since winter/spring.

My doubts come from my lack of cycling skill and the hilly course (I've actually biked around the lake during some training triathlons, so I'm familiar with what it's like.) My run training is pretty solid at this point (not fast, just solid!) and I ran a 10K at Hagg Lake back in May with no difficulty.

I've been (sort of) following the 16 week Oly plan on this site, and I'm just a little behind on the volume for the bike, as I didn't start riding until March of this year...So far my longest ride has been 29 miles on flat terrain, and 25 on the rolling hills of the farmland near where I live.

So, given that I have only a couple weeks to build up my cycling volume before I need to start tapering, can I handle this course? Or am I crazy to make this my first Oly? I feel very prepared for the swim and the run, as I've been training for them all winter and spring, but the bike leg has me a bit worried...

Advice, encouragement, recommendations for psych evaluations, all are welcome.

2013-06-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: martymo

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Am I Crazy to Make Hagg Lake My First Olympic Tri?
The Hagg Lake course is a challenging Olympic course and one of my favorites. I've done it many times over the years. Looking at your training log and seeing that you've done training races there, I'm sure it's doable for you. Just pace yourself well, especially on the first loop of the bike.

The Mid-Summer race at Blue Lake in August and Portland Triathlon in September are more forgiving bike courses, and I'm kind of biased in thinking the Portland Tri is the best race in the area.

Good luck!

scott
2013-06-14 6:14 PM
in reply to: yaqui

User image

Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the feedback, Scott...I guess you have a right to be biased about the Portland Tri! I was actually thinking about taking it easy on myself, doing the sprint at Hagg Lake, and making the Portland Tri my first Olympic, to give me some more time to build my cycling strength. (unfortunately I'm going to be unable to do the midsummer Blue Lake tri.)

How is the river swim in the Portland Tri? The words "upstream" make me a little nervous, since I've done all my racing in lakes so far. Is the current a big factor, and is there a way to tailor my training to prepare for it?

I was going to stop by Athlete's Lounge to ask the experts about it, but maybe I don't have to! (Still could probably find a reason to swing by and do some shopping, though!)
2013-06-14 7:29 PM
in reply to: martymo

Master
portland, or
Beginning July 11 we will be hosting a weekly Thursday night swim under the St. Johns Bridge. Last year we had over 100 people showing up. It's a great way to become accustomed to the current, although last year everyone talked about how mild the current was during the training swims and then race day found it stronger.

We'll be doing our training races at Hagg Lake again this summer as well.

Good luck whichever race you choose. And of course stop by the store anytime to ask questions. We love helping people.

scott
2013-07-04 1:33 AM
in reply to: yaqui

I just registered for the Sprint. Nothing like waiting till the last minute!
2013-07-04 1:38 AM
in reply to: Portlander

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
See you there. Im not racing but my daughter is racing in the oly du and her bf is doing the oly try.

2013-07-05 5:02 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
After a lot of soul-searching (and a soul-crushing couple laps around the lake a few weeks ago) I opted to do the sprint, too. The Oly can wait a little longer!
2013-07-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4772837

Wow, I heard that course was hilly but holy crap. I needed gears that I have NEVER used on my bike before. Anyhow, I did manage 2nd in my AG which was a miracle as I've been slowed down with injuries for the past 7 weeks.
2013-07-06 11:36 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Ha, ha! When I rode the course a few weeks ago with my husband I was coming up the long hill after the fee station, yelling at him that I thought my derailleur was broken, when in fact I was actually just in my lowest gear! And going a scorching 5 mph, too!

Congrats on the AG placement...That is awesome!
2013-07-07 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4797197

Too funny Martymo, I thought the exact same thing on the exact same hill. I had to look down at my gears to see what was going on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Crazy to Make Hagg Lake My First Olympic Tri? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hagg Lake Sprint Tri Route

Started by TriGuyBri
Views: 1382 Posts: 3

2009-07-18 1:29 AM TriGuyBri

Hagg Lake Tri

Started by TriGuyBri
Views: 1139 Posts: 1

2009-07-10 2:04 PM TriGuyBri

Hagg Lake on 7/7/7

Started by yaqui
Views: 1235 Posts: 4

2007-07-08 12:26 PM Econo

Dirty Du at Hagg Lake

Started by dcossey
Views: 3219 Posts: 10

2007-03-08 11:56 PM dcossey

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by elektra
Views: 1967 Posts: 5

2007-05-22 2:24 AM RobBrown
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : August 5, 2009
author : pdxbiker
comments : 2
With my new triathlon goal set, I had to find a pool, set a schedule, ramp up the cycling, and keep up the running.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.