Columbia Triathlon Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 39m 55s
Overall Rank = 140/2400
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/235
Pre-race routine:

4th go around at Eagleman. It's my local big race and I get to train on parts of the course on a very regular basis. This one was a bit weird as I thought for most of the winter/spring that I was going to be a guide for a visually impaired guy but that fell through so I moved over to the age group race. My training has been pretty solid but I've held back on building up on the bike as much as I normally would because I'm really pointing towards Timberman in August. Otherwise the spring was promising with PRs at a half marathon (on this course) and an olympic distance triathlon.

Got up at 4:30. Pretty standard breakfast and walked over to transition at about 5:40. Nice to be just a couple blocks away. Had some issues pumping up the disc, damn crackpipe wouldn't seat on the pumps I kept borrowing. Finally found one that worked. Hung out at the tent and chilled out til my wave at 7:45.
Event warmup:

Arm swings and some light stretching.
Swim
  • 30m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good swim. Started pretty far to the outside. There were 2 guys in the wave that were to my right that finished ahead of me in 28:xx. Not sure if I could have latched onto their feet, but by the time I tried to angle over I missed them. Otherwise I swam by myself and navigated through the previous waves pretty well. Current was noticeable on the outbound leg and then as a bit of a cross current on the 2nd leg. Also on the second leg there was a kayaker right in the middle of the swim course for some reason and a jet skier was messing around with the 2nd turn buoy. Swam all the way into shore, always surprised how many people walk it in from so far out.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Not sure if I could have latched onto the guys who finished ahead of me, but there was only a couple of them and it's hard to find few feet.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Got to my rack quickly and had my suit down to my waist way before I got there. Suit was off in a snap. Ran barefoot through the muddy grass to the start of the bike course. Nothing of interest to note. Had a decent rack position.

10/235 in AG.
61/2100 OA.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 28m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Got going pretty well out of transition and settled into the aerobars and got a bit of water in me. Navigated through the craziness of the first few turns in town before getting out to 343 and was able to find my pace. There was some congestion on the course, but nothing out of the ordinary from my vantage point. Seemed to settle in around 2 other guys and got 4 bike lengths back of them and just held it there for quite a while on 16. Every now and then they'd get close to each other and the guy in second would just coast and that would mess things up for me so I had to make the pass. Saw them a few more times here and there yo-yo'ing around. This course lends itself to an even power/effort output. I have no use for yo-yo'ing, coasting, or any of that.

Smithville was no problem. That's my favorite part of the course. Winding your way through endless marshes, trees, etc, and the road is in good shape. Golden Hill Rd was fine and I was surprised and happy to pass by my girlfriend there. The only issue here was a rider that I was coming up on. I looked back to move left and then for some reason put my head down for a split second and as I looked up she's drifted out to the left and is out of the saddle coasting and stretching. In order to avoid crashing I just barely made it around her on the right. Pretty sketchy.

Egypt Rd was what it was, but since the winds were light and in a favorable direction I wasn't nearly in the same mindset on this part of course as I normally am (slightly negative normally). Then back onto Dailsville and Town Point. That's where I found the only real draft pack of the day. What I thought was just some course congestion quickly formed into a dozen or so riders with a tailwind racing back to T2. I motored up to the front to get through it, but then they came on back by as I got something to drink and started thinking about T2 and spinning out my legs.

I had a 600 calorie bottle of Infinit that I was taking with water and 2 gels. Got most of the bottle down, but probably left 100 cals in it. Otherwise I grabbed water at 2 or 3 aid stations.

Not much. This is my fastest bike split at this distance and on this course. My offseason focus on the bike seems to have netted me some more gains.

4 year progression is:
2:41, 2:39, 2:33, 2:28.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

As I approached transition there was a bunch of people stacked up at the dismount line (mostly from that draft pack) taking off their shoes and doing various other bullshit in a static fashion blocking the way. So I basically slowed to a complete stop and squeezed by. My buddy Chris was working the dismount line trying like hell to get people to get moving. The run in was a giant mud pit. 3-6" deep of mud. What a shitshow. Anyway ran through the slop as best I could without biting it and got to my rack but had a second of trouble finding my spot and then I crossed paths with another guy who was coming down the row. Got bike racked and then looked down at my feet to put on my socks and saw they were covered in mud. Thought about it for a second to think if there was anything I could do about it and decided there wasn't. So on went the socks, shoes, hat, and belt and that was that.

Pretty smooth considering the circumstances.

36/235 AG
201/2100 OA
Run
  • 1h 37m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Where to start with this one? First couple miles I linked up with another guy who was running the same pace. It was good to have someone there to kind of ensure that things were steady and that I could key off of. Otherwise I found my running legs reasonably well. They never got really snappy but they didn't feel like shit either. Started in on the aid stations with gatorade and some water over the head. The turn onto the bypass is the part of the run that mentally always is a bit of a hurdle. For one, you lose the neighborhood fun. For two, it usually seems hotter/desolate there, and for three, it's a long ways to the next aid station if you need anything. At any rate, I got through there and out onto 343 and kept moving well. Saw Mike G heading back in somewhere around there. Down Horns Pt Rd things were fine and got to the turn around in 47:37. On the way back I could feel some fatigue building in my legs. Had to make a bit more of a deliberate effort to get what I needed at the aid stations which slowed me down a bit. I think my running pace slowed a little bit, too. Had a few twinges in my groin and hamstring in miles 9-11 that I was worried about but didn't get any worse. Anyway, more or less held it together and came back in 49:46 which is about the same time I came back in last year when I was fully tapered and feeling great.

Not much, I think the slight lack in bike preparation for this distance probably 'cost' me a couple minutes on the way back on the run. But I'm real happy with that split on the day. Fastest run split for me on this course.

Progression is 1:49, 1:48, 1:38, 1:37.

Post race
Warm down:

Cooled down in the chute and at the firetruck. Had some water and gatorade and eventually some food. Sat in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Didn't do as many long rides as I normally would have and I think that had a slight impact on the back half of the run.

Event comments:

They had to contend with a ton of rainfall from TS Andrea that soaked the venue in the 2 days leading up to the race. Pretty sure the transition area was gonna get sloppy anything short of paving it over. Oh well, made things interesting for sure!

Last updated: 2012-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/235
Overall: 61/2400
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Full
Course: 3 sides of a rectangle in the Choptank River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:28:57 | 56 miles | 22.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 64/235
Overall: 272/2400
Wind: Little
Course: 1 loop through farmland, marsh, swamps, and national wildlife refuge south of Cambridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:37:23 | 13.1 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/235
Overall: 159/2400
Course: Out and back. First part along the water and through a neighborhood in Cambridge. Then out the bypass, 343, and Horns Pt Rd for some pretty desolate running.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-11 6:11 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2013-06-11 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4772960

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Great race! Lookin' good for Timberman.
2013-06-11 7:49 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-12 7:32 AM

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Great race!
2013-06-13 9:43 AM

Expert
Really cool to see the progression over the years.  Glad to see as you get older your still improving.  As always glad to see you on race day!  Best of luck with the rest of the season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2457 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4358 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2044 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2051 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.