World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 09m 29s
Overall Rank = 249/1317
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 30/98
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15 and made sure everything was set for the race. Ate an apple and one and a half bananas.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike 2 miles to T1 right when I got there. Then some stretching before the race and a Powerbar Gel before taking off.
Swim
  • 38m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

More chop than I was expecting. Made it difficult for the out portion of the swim. Had to do a lot of sighting and wasn't able to draft off of anyone.
What would you do differently?:

I knew it was going to be difficult with the buoys on left, so I just did the best I could with having to sight so often.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Went on the wrong side of my rack and passed my bike by about 50 feet. Oh well, at least i didn't get TOO lost. Everything after that was standard.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

There were a lot more hills than I was expecting, which probably helped me overall even though it made it more difficult. I was amazed at how many flats I saw. There was a thunderstorm the night before and I think this might have put a bunch of gravel on the road that was causing the flats, so I tried to not ride all the way on the right, but rather where a cars right tires would be and was lucky I didn't flat. Having a tailwind on the way home was nice.

On the last big hill on with about 5 miles left my left hamstring started wanting to cramp up a little bit. I knew this was a bad sign, especially as I had pushed it harder on the bike than I would have liked. I was rewarded with a great time (for me) on a hilly course, but knew this might make my run more difficult. I gave it solid efforts on the up hills and coasted down most of the downhills to give the legs some rest.

I tried taking in as much nutrition as possible, but might have tried taking in even more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Had a fresh pair of socks in T2 but wasn't sure if I was going to put them on. But then I had to run through some water in the grass on my way to my rack, so then I knew i was going to put new socks on, which I probably would have done either way. Grabbed an extra Powerbar Gel and took off.
Run
  • 1h 43m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at a comfortable pace that I thought I could maintain. Took a salt tablet just past mile 3 (which I almost lost before I got there) and then tried taking some fluid at every aid station. Also took the rest of my Bonk Breaker bar at mile 1.5. I felt great till mile 6, then my legs started to really feel it and I noticed I had stopped sweating. Even though my stomach didn't want anything I was able to keep forcing nutrition down it. By mile 8 I thought the wheels were going to start falling off as my legs felt like they wanted to start cramping.

I slowed down my pace and my legs kept moving forward. I was pretty spent by mile 10 but knew if I kept running my time would be good. I only had to stop once for cramps (left hamstring) with about a half mile left. I walked most of the aid stations. I was lucky enough to have the finish chute all to myself. That was awesome, with all the people there cheering. I put my arms out like airplane wings and "glided" to the finish line, which I'm going to do from now on!

I tried joking around with the spectators and volunteers on the first lap. Giving people high fives and joking around with the volunteers what was fun. But by the time I hit the 2nd lap I was just trying to plug forward and didn't have much energy for "fun". still had a blast tough.

My nutrition plan was better than in the past, but I still have some work to do on it. Otherwise I was quite happy with my race and my performance on the run. I know I can go faster with better nutrition, but I was happy to put together a decent run finally.
Post race
Warm down:

I knew I was pretty dehydrated (but not as bad as my last 70.3) so I headed to the med tent. As i was sitting there drinking Perform, my right hamstring cramped up badly and my tingling fingers got worse so they laid me down on a bed and put some cold wraps on my legs and forehead. They tried starting an IV 3 times but my veins wouldn't take fluid so I had to rehydrate with just perform. After resting for awhile and cooling down and drinking I started to feel better and was OK from then on. Thanks again to the hot nursing student!

Event comments:

As usual all of the volunteers were amazing. God granted us a beautiful day. The course challenged me but wasn't too difficult. I'm extremely glad I did this race.

Last updated: 2012-11-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/98
Overall: 649/1317
Performance: Average
Suit: BlueSeventy Reaction
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:15 | 56 miles | 20.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/98
Overall: 285/1317
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:53 | 13.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/98
Overall: 249/1317
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-11 9:25 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Kansas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by Swimthetide
Views: 1502 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 4:09 PM Swimthetide

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by harleyclone
Views: 1441 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 2:04 PM harleyclone

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by RazorTri
Views: 2286 Posts: 9

2011-06-30 6:03 AM todds

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by remodelig47
Views: 1464 Posts: 2

2011-06-13 8:53 PM bsjracing

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by rrcm
Views: 1669 Posts: 4

2011-06-15 9:09 PM disturbed275
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.