Columbia Triathlon Association
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 24m 10s
Overall Rank = 617/2462
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 82/269
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:30 had a bagel and some coffee, with a water and Gatorade on the side. Headed to the race site about 6:00 (nice to be able to walk a half mile!) set up transition and realized that it was going to be a God-awful mess in there later on. Had a Powerbar about an hour before my swim start and a gel about 15 minutes before hand.
Event warmup:

I did some light stretching before the swim and did about 150 meters in the river before I jumped in with my swim wave.
Swim
  • 45m 41s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

So my swim is by far my worst event...In a pool I'm OK swimming 1:40ish per 100m, but take away my lane lines and I just utterly suck! This swim was no different and in fact was almost as bad as the polar bear plunge of a swim I did at Waterman's last October.

The weird thing is that I didn't feel like I was doing that bad in this race. Normally, every time I sight I have to adjust my course because I'm so out of line, but today it didn't feel like that... a lot of it may have to do with the lack of navigational buoys, since they were so far apart my perception must have been off. It also didn't help that when I was sighing the turn buoy as I got close it really did feel like I was chasing a moving target... come to find out I was. As I got up there I saw that one of the support folks was moving it around, and I heard a girl say that it broke loose... don't know if I swam long, short, or what but it did suck chasing a moving target!

When I got out of the water and saw the clock at 45:xx I was dumbfounded. I honestly didn't think it went that bad and I was a bit demoralized at the poor time.
What would you do differently?:

I gotta take some one-on-one classes. I know that I'm not the fastest swimmer but it really is the fact that I can't swim a straight line to save my life w/o lane markers. I'd be ecstatic if I could even come close to my pool times in an OWS.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Let the Tough Mudder begin!!! Transition was mess, no a bloody mess, no an absolute catastrophuck of a mess!! The rain that made the part wet and mucky at 6 AM was now rather muddy by the time the previous 9 waves of folks went through.

I actually did fairly well all things considered by there was no way around the fact that my bike and I were covered in mud by the time I got out on the course.

Nothing really, other than the mud and muck my transition went fairly well, the suit come off lickedy-split and I got my bike gear on w/o issue. The run out took longer than it should since i was running through the EagleMan Tough Mudder course, but all in all it wasn't too bad.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.52 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal in this race was to finally break 3 hours on the bike. It's not fair to compare, but my previous 3 HIM were all over 3 hours, although they were on much hillier courses. I figured if I was going to break 3 hours anywhere, EagleMan was the place to do it.

I spent the first few miles just getting my feet in the shoes, getting settled in, and taking in some nutrition. Spinning out those first few miles the ride felt pretty smooth and my legs felt OK. Once we were out on the main part of the course, I just tucked my head down and got to work. It seemed like things were going pretty well, after the first 5 miles or so, I was able to consistently ride in the 21 MPH range and I felt good doing it. I was worried, however, how long I'd be able to keep the pace up. The longest ride I'd done since my last HIM in October was 40 miles, and even at that I didn't have too many 30 plus mile rides in this year, so needless to say my bike fitness isn't where it should be.

After the first hour of ridding my legs felt fine and according to my watch I had covered 20.92 miles. I figured OK, that was pretty nice, now lets see if I can do it again. So I continued to ride, but thought that I'd try to amp it up a bit... what the hell right... I can limp though the run if I need too! So I ticked up a gear and tried to keep the cadence up. I soon realized that was not a good idea, the legs were feeling the extra work and I knew that an easier gear and higher cadence was the way to go, so I settled back down and just chugged along. The second hour went as well as expected and I covered an additional 21 miles on the nose. Things were looking up, I averaged over 20.5 MPH for 2 hours and my legs still felt fine, this was great!!

I figured that for the last part of the course I'd knuckle down for about 30 minutes or so and then ease up for the last few miles to let me legs refresh. The plan worked out pretty well as I put just a little extra into it for the next 30 minutes, averaging over 21 MPH for that time span and then I eased up into the finish to give my legs a bit of time to recover some.

In the end this was really a great bike leg for me. Averaging over 20 MPH for the course was huge, especially seeing as all I really wanted to do was to come in under 3 hours.

Nothing really, this was a great ride for me, I think that I could have gone a bit longer before I eased up, but all in all I'll take this ride any day.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Well, well, well. What was a muddy mess 2:45 ago is now just indescribable. Every step I took my foot disappeared in the mud... I'm surprised that I didn't take a nose dive at all. I tried to take my time because I really didn't want to DNF because of a sprained ankle or anything.

The time was off, for obvious reasons, but in the end I think that I did pretty OK all things considered.

Wear hip waders?
Run
  • 1h 48m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my strongest event by far, and I was hoping that with the good ride I had I would still be able to hang on for a decent run and come in under 5:30... a time that I had all but given up on after my horrendous swim.

After making my way through the mud pit, I just eased into the run, I really needed to make sure that my legs were ok, and I didn't want cook things from the get go. My plan was to run 8:00 m/m pace for as long as I could and then take it from there. Unfortunately, my first mile was too fast, but that is usually the case. Thankfully, it wasn't that bad at 7:36, and I was able to quickly settle in after that nailing the next 8 miles all between 8:00 and 8:10; logging the first 9 miles at an average pace of 8:01.

The heat and sun was starting to take its toll at this point... my breathing became more labored and I was steadily fighting off a diaphragm cramp. I was having a hard time taking in fluids and I was constantly slowing down just to take deep breaths to fend off the cramping. Mile 10 was respectable at 8:24, but miles 11 and 12 hurt coming in at 9:10 and 9:18 respectively. I had just enough left in the tank to "kick" for the finish running the last mile in 8:45 and the .1 in 0:53. that last .1 hurt like hell though my diaphragm had fully cramped up and my wife got a great shot of my writhing in pain coming up the chute.

Nothing really, I ran as hard and as well as I could... no cramps might have saved me 30-45 seconds overall but in the end I left it all out there, so I could have asked for more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to cool down, then went over to the hoses to spray myself down... I was caked in mud from my knees down. I then had some chow, got my gear and walked back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well my complete lack of OWS skills cost me several minutes, the Tough Mudder event thrown in for T1 and T2 I'm sure cost me 60-90 seconds, and the cramps on the run maybe another 30 seconds or so but all in all I think that I performed pretty well today.

Event comments:

Great race, great town, and a great time... I don't need to say I'll do this race again, my wife already told me that I was, so I guess I'll be back next year!

My poor bike, I posted before and after pics... if they attach... Mr. Felt was none-too-pleased!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:41 | 1931 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 171/269
Overall: 1239/2462
Performance: Below average
Suit: NeoSport Sleevless
Course: Rectangle course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:43:52 | 56 miles | 20.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 128/269
Overall: 887/2462
Performance: Good
Avg HR 146, Max HR 165
Wind: Some
Course: Single Loop though mostly rural and parkland roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:48:56 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/269
Overall: 617/2462
Performance: Average
Avg HR 159, Max HR 167
Course: Out and back in the blazing noonday sun!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-11 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2013-06-11 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4773547

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
well done! great description of the mud!
2013-06-11 3:47 PM
in reply to: dck4shrt

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Poor bike!!  Great race and RR.
2013-06-11 4:15 PM

User image

Nice job and great RR.
2013-06-11 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Tough mudder - you're not kidding. I thought of it as an impromptu xterra. Congrats on your bike, and all of it!
2013-06-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

New user
South Central PA
Great job and way to hang tough during the run. Those transition areas were something else. I think I passed 5 guys by picking up my bike and running with it coming into T2.

2013-06-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: Kenny-A

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by Kenny-A

Great job and way to hang tough during the run. Those transition areas were something else. I think I passed 5 guys by picking up my bike and running with it coming into T2.

Thanks... I thought about picking the bike up too, but I figured that the footing was so poor that I might just be better off using the bike to balance myself and keep from taking a nose dive. Either way, that was the gnarliest transition area I've ever been in.
2013-06-12 8:24 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great RR and congrats on getting the OK from the wife to come back next year lol. I heard it was a mud pit in transition but that picture says it all. Good job at the race and keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2457 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4358 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2045 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2051 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.