United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 49s
Overall Rank = 120/195
Age Group = 30-34F
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Had yogurt and cereal and fruit, drove to race, stopped for Gatorade on the way bc it was gonna be a scorcha!
Event warmup:

Nothin' much.
Run
  • 27m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This first leg was fine as far as heat. I tried to pace myself, although I knew round 2 of the run was going to be brutal so I toyed with the idea of going hard in this first leg. But I knew better than that, and tried to run at a good clip but not blow up my legs.
What would you do differently?:

maybe could have gone a little faster, but I'm overall pleased.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I'm estimating this transition time. I think I got my bike stuff together pretty quickly.
Bike
  • 57m 10s
  • 17.23 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I was surprised how tired I got on the bike. I think I'm not used to going race pace for a full, non-stop 17 miles. On my longer rides, I stop and do intervals and stuff. Need to work on that before the August Oly. I was definitely cruising at the beginning and slowed down quite a bit for the lat 5 miles or so. Not sure if it might have had a bit net uphill for that part, or if I was just tired. I thought I passed smart and geared smart.

I'm not sure if it was a good idea to go out hard (it didn't feel hard at the time) or if I should have tried to pace myself more. I also had some cazy chafeage that was killing me for the second half of the ride. Ugh. So I'd wear different tri shorts!
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This T was a little slower. I took the time to get some Gatorade in me, dump some water on my head, b/c I knew this was going to be a challenging run

nothing.
Run
  • 30m 9s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Phew! This was a scorcher!! And even in the woods, I felt like my head was going to explode and at one point I thought I might vomit. had to walk a few times. The woods were just so stagnant feeling. It actually felt better on the road. I was really dragging, mixing walk and run, and then this woman who I passed on the bike and had looked like she was struggling at that time passed ME on the run! I was like, oh no you don't! (Also, she was a good 25 years older than me). I told her she was looking good and then stayed running with her. As we rounded the turn towards the finish, another woman came cruising by and I said, let's do this! I ran as hard as I could for the finish.

I don't know how you prepare for this heat in a June 2 race when the weather hasn't been above 65 for weeks.
Post race
Warm down:

misters! water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT (and maybe a tiny bit of lack of training).

Event comments:

I beat last year's time by 5 1/2 minutes!! That is awesome, especially in this heat (although last year's conditions were adverse as well - but I think heat is more limiting as far as speed).
I like this race a lot, even though there's not a lot of fanfare. it is very well organized and I really like the course. On day, we'll have perfect weather! Last year, it was a monsoon, with 55 degree temps, driving rain (mostly for the bike segment, of course) and 30 mph gusts - I almost got blown off my bike! This year, the Sahara. I'll probably keep trying.

Last updated: 2013-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:38 | 03 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, partly through trails partly on road, rural.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:30
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:57:10 | 17.23 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat, net downhill I think. Gorgeous views of the ocean for about half the ride as you cruise down the coastline. Rolling rural roads at the first part and end. The intersections are well-controlled by police.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:09 | 03 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same course, just backwards (the route, not my running!)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-11 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Rye By the Sea Duathlon

2013-06-11 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4773681

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Rye By the Sea Duathlon

Your times look pretty darn good considering how challenged you were feeling!

And a podium spot!!!! Nice!

The course description was cool. I love it when I can see water when i ride/run! And I liked your clarification that the course was backward, not your running Laughing

2013-06-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just noticed that I was only 30 seconds from being #2 in my AG! Ah, if I only could have HTFU on that last leg of the run!
2013-06-12 1:37 PM
in reply to: ArielLIlB

User image

Pennsylvania
PODIUM!!  New PR by 5.5 minutes!  Good stuff, great race, Brie!
2013-06-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser

Awesome PR! Hey, just DUing the 2nd run in a du IS htfu'ing. You did great and hit the podium.

I have yet to du the du at all!

2013-06-12 8:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Super speedy run # 1 and bike, that run #2 had to hurt in the heat after all the speed.  Great job!!

Congratulations on the podium spot!!!

Edited by QueenZipp 2013-06-12 8:16 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rye By the Sea Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rye By the Sea Duathlon

Started by ArielLIlB
Views: 1247 Posts: 7

2012-06-04 8:50 PM cdban66

Rye By The Sea Duathlon

Started by peregrinesgirl
Views: 728 Posts: 1

2011-06-04 2:41 PM peregrinesgirl

Saunders at Rye Harbor 10K

Started by Miko
Views: 1089 Posts: 3

2005-08-22 6:51 AM max

Rye-by-the-Sea

Started by kstuke
Views: 832 Posts: 1

2005-06-08 8:46 PM kstuke

Rye Derby

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 993 Posts: 1

2005-05-01 5:46 PM NYtrigal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.