General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lap Swim in Pittsburgh Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-12 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: Lap Swim in Pittsburgh
Hi there,

I am traveling to Pitt next week and am staying in the Friendship area of the city. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good lap pool nearby or I can even hoof it or bus it. Outdoors would be great but indoor works, too! I live in SF, CA and it's been super foggy here so I assume I can do some heat acclimation while I'm out there in your fair city.

Hoping to get a few runs in while there as well (in the 6-10 mile range), any suggestions on routes or where to (or not to) run?

thanks,

Kim

2013-06-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Lap Swim in Pittsburgh

Give Suzanne Atkinson (AdventureBear) a shout.  She lives in Pittsburgh, plus runs Masters sessions once or twice a week.  I'm sure she'd be happy to provide some suggestions.

2013-06-16 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
All of the public city pools offer adult lap swims 5-6, and some do 12-1. Highland Park has a 50 meter pool, super nice. Busses will run to the general vicinity but I don't think to the pool. Bloomfield pool wouldn't be too far from Friendship and is probably near a bus line. Probably walkable for that matter.
http://pittsburghpa.gov/citiparks/swimming-programs
http://pittsburghpa.gov/citiparks/swimming-pools-outdoor
Frick Park and Schenley Park have great trails for running; not sure about Highland Park's. In 6-10 miles you could include any of those parks in your routes from Friendship. No place in Pittsburgh is too dangerous, although near Friendship the neighborhoods of Garfield and East Liberty, and even Highland Park and Lawrenceville, can go from nice to sketchy within a few blocks. If you stay on main streets in those areas, I'm sure you won't have any problems.
Enjoy your stay!
2013-06-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thank you! The Schenley Park option was also recommended by the running store on Walnut and I loved it! From Friendship to Schenley Park, it's about 2.25 miles, and i got a good 7 in the park just getting turned around on the various trails, so it was perfect.

I ran past the pool in the park at about 10am and it looked quite nice, no kids! Where are they? It's beautiful here today! The JCC was on the way, so that is another option. I love being on vacation. Thank you again for taking the time to give recommendations. By the way, Pittsburgh is pretty hilly and I am from San Francisco! Impressed.
2013-06-17 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I think the pools actually open at 1 for swimming, at noon for adult lap swim. I know Schenley also has adult swim.
Yes, the trails are fun! I know Schenley park pretty well but I still get lost in Frick. You should check it out- a little more rugged, lots of single track.
Glad you're enjoying Pittsburgh.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lap Swim in Pittsburgh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Needing a swim coach - Pittsburgh/western PA area

Started by Brad Butcher
Views: 2357 Posts: 5

2012-09-18 9:16 PM AdventureBear

Open Water Swim Groups near Pittsburgh

Started by Raddy Daddy
Views: 2648 Posts: 2

2011-07-23 7:07 PM sbux87

Open Water Swim Groups near Pittsburgh

Started by Raddy Daddy
Views: 735 Posts: 1

2011-07-18 11:59 AM Raddy Daddy

Lap Swimming in State College

Started by jcbolton
Views: 1297 Posts: 4

2008-06-30 10:36 PM sln5024

visiting Pittsburgh -- anywhere to swim?

Started by gailg
Views: 762 Posts: 1

2007-03-13 1:27 PM gailg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.
date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
comments : 1
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.

date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.