General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you loose weight swimming ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-12 5:44 PM

Veteran
Subject: Can you loose weight swimming ?
Hi

I need to loose weight without putting to much pressure on my knee joints - so is swimming a good way to loose weight ?

i have made some diet changes but need to try and shift some weight before i get into more focused training
thanks

2013-06-12 6:01 PM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: RE: Can you loose weight swimming ?
Swimming and cycling are both good ways to loose weight without putting too much stress on joints as both are non-weight-bearing. In swimming, in particular if swimming crawl you don't put any stress at all on the knees, while in biking you can control it and change gear, cycling will never have the high impact on the knees as running does.

Generally swimming burns more calories per hour, but as many do not swim well and take plenty of rest, cycling may be the more efficient way of shedding some excess pounds.

A typical pitfall when you start out is to feel hunger after workout or to justify that extra chocolate bare because you just did a good workout. Well, you need to suppress those feelings if you're trying to loose weight. Regardless of what kind of exercise you do, you need to be in a calorie deficit to loose weight.

BR
2013-06-12 6:07 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

Veteran
Originally posted by erik.norgaard

Swimming and cycling are both good ways to loose weight without putting too much stress on joints as both are non-weight-bearing. In swimming, in particular if swimming crawl you don't put any stress at all on the knees, while in biking you can control it and change gear, cycling will never have the high impact on the knees as running does.

Generally swimming burns more calories per hour, but as many do not swim well and take plenty of rest, cycling may be the more efficient way of shedding some excess pounds.

A typical pitfall when you start out is to feel hunger after workout or to justify that extra chocolate bare because you just did a good workout. Well, you need to suppress those feelings if you're trying to loose weight. Regardless of what kind of exercise you do, you need to be in a calorie deficit to loose weight.

BR

Thanks i have been doing some gym biking and burning about 500+ cals in 35 mins so i thought i would back it up with a swim each day to try and shift the old weight i have been carrying mostly around the waist - rest of body quite trim (ISH)
2013-06-12 6:12 PM

Veteran
Meant to say have been doing the bike but it sometimes gives me knee pain hence swimming question
2013-06-12 6:14 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Elite
Originally posted by erik.norgaard

BR

agreed.
but I don't know about you guys...with me, swimming makes me hungrier than anything.
good luck bigdave!
2013-06-12 6:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Agreed.
I lose more weight via biking than swimming alone.

It is difficult to swim long. Even if I stay in the pool for an hour, I only swim like 2500 yards with lots of rests.
But with biking, you can have continuously workout for hours with little rest/break.

Also I always feel SO starved after swimming, and tend to eat more than I should.
Strange that this never happens with biking or running.

Edited by Lynn00 2013-06-12 6:16 PM

2013-06-12 6:18 PM
in reply to: Lynn00

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by Lynn00

Agreed.

It is difficult to swim long. Even if I stay in the pool for an hour, I only swim like 2500 yards with lots of rests.
But with biking, you can have continuously workout for hours with little rest/break.

Also I always feel SO starved after swimming, and tend to eat more than I should.
Strange thing that this never happens with biking or running.

The 2500 yd bit is why it is good to join a masters group. We get in 3k in an hour and 1500 every additional half hour, on longer days. Not much standing around.

Eric's reply is spot on. Most people do not swim hard enough with small rest for an ideal weight loss workout. If disciplined then it can be great
2013-06-12 6:20 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

Veteran
Originally posted by peteweb55403

Agreed.

The 2500 yd bit is why it is good to join a masters group. We get in 3k in an hour and 1500 every additional half hour, on longer days. Not much standing around.

Eric's reply is spot on. Most people do not swim hard enough with small rest for an ideal weight loss workout. If disciplined then it can be great

thanks so the key go hard out in the pool 45 min with little rest ? good stroke and breathing without go like a bat out hell?
2013-06-12 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Especially with swimming, you need to "train hungry."  I've heard, and follow, the saying to "train hungry, but don't (taper or) race hungry."

The only problem with swimming is that it typically induces the same kind of hunger that running and biking do, but it doesn't have the same "after-burn" effect of keeping a higher metabolism after the exercise proper.  That can lead to eating more than you burn fairly easily, unless you are quite disciplined about caloric intake.

That said, it is fantastic exercise.  You'll just have to watch the calories more diligently than if cycling or running to burn off some lbs.

YMMV...

Matt

2013-06-12 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'm sure everyone is a bit different on this one. I find the easiest way to lose weight is running, followed by cycling with swimming being the hardest. A big part of it is that swimming uses smaller muscle groups while running and cycling use the big muscles of your legs and butt. On the other hand, to lose weight you must remain injury free. If running does your knees in that's not going to help.

Frankly I would have a hard time (impossible) losing weight swimming if I only swam 2,500 yd three days a week. It takes me a lot more than that. Moreover, you must make sure you maintain a high level of intensity. My formula for losing weight is long duration/medium intensity exercise along with a reduction in calories. The longer you go, and the less calories, the greater weight loss. Eat for the person you want to be (weight and fitness), not the person you are.

Edited by E=H2O 2013-06-12 7:22 PM
2013-06-12 8:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You could also add in some aqua jogging to get the best (?) of both worlds... I use a jog belt and stay in the deep end. You can get a great, but rather boring, workout with the aqua jog.

2013-06-12 9:13 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

NC
Yes.

(btpic.jp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
btpic.jp.jpg (100KB - 9 downloads)
2013-06-12 9:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Originally posted by lisac957

You could also add in some aqua jogging to get the best (?) of both worlds... I use a jog belt and stay in the deep end. You can get a great, but rather boring, workout with the aqua jog.

never thought of aqua jogging wouldnt know how
2013-06-12 10:38 PM

IMO, nothing is better for weight loss than a good 4+ hour bike ride. You can burn a ton of calories on a long bike ride that you just can't come close to doing in the other two sports.
2013-06-12 10:47 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

NC
Originally posted by ziggie204

You can burn a ton of calories on a long bike ride that you just can't come close to doing in the other two sports.

Why?

2013-06-12 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Originally posted by Goosedog Yes.

Swimming 300K yards a month.

Edited by E=H2O 2013-06-12 10:50 PM

2013-06-12 10:52 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
Three years ago, I lost 30 pounds in 4 months by dieting, weight lifting (raises metabolism) and riding a recumbent stationary for an hour a day (calorie burning.) I would suggest that all three areas are very important for long-term weight loss.
2013-06-12 10:58 PM
in reply to: E=H2O

User image

NC
Originally posted by E=H2O

I humbly suggest that you can loose weight on less volume.

2013-06-12 11:00 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by E=H2O

I humbly suggest that you can loose weight on less volume.

Yes of course. I was just responding to Goosedog's picture of Michael Phelps in his post above.

2013-06-12 11:47 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Originally posted by peteweb55403

Agreed.

Thank you for suggestion!
I did think about joining a swimming club, but never actually do it due to multiple excuses.
2013-06-13 3:17 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy agreed. but I don't know about you guys...with me, swimming makes me hungrier than anything. good luck bigdave!

Get in the hot tub for 10-15 mins after swimming.  It will help curb the post swim munchies.

2013-06-13 3:55 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
You must be mindful of the fact that it's very easy to swim without actually training. You can move forward but it won't do much for your fitness or weight loss. Besides, and this is important: weight loss is 95% your diet. Learn to watch your calories in vs. calories out. It's literally the only thing that works. You can eat McDonalds every day if you want as long as you don't eat too many calories. It's also why those miracle cures always fail; they're not lasting solutions and don't teach people the basics of weight loss.
2013-06-13 6:32 AM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Payson, AZ
Sure you could lose weight swimming, if you didn't replace the calories you burned with food.  If you want to lose weight start with food, not exercise.  Exercise for the joy of it, not to lose weight
2013-06-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bzgl40 Sure you could lose weight swimming, if you didn't replace the calories you burned with food.  If you want to lose weight start with food, not exercise.  Exercise for the joy of it, not to lose weight

Very much so. Many activities work towards weight loss, but it's matching the diet that really brings on results there. So for the OP, yes, swimming can work well for weight loss. And it will work better when following some of the later advice on how to do the swimming.

2013-06-13 8:20 AM

User image

x3 or whatever the number is about diet and weight loss. Weight loss is mostly a function of your calories eaten (quantity and quality). This is why people lose significant weight on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. They gain their weight back when, upon losing the desired amount of weight, they revert to old eating habits. Many of them don't exercise at all. There are many people that are very fit but still overweight. Exercising will certainly help, but helps much more with cardiovascular health and muscle tone. FWIW, I'm not trained in diet nor fitness training. I am writing from significant readings due to interest in the topic and some personal experiences (personal and witnessed).

Edited by dbrook1 2013-06-13 8:29 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you loose weight swimming ? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit--how loose is too loose?

Started by switch
Views: 9875 Posts: 24

2013-05-08 8:14 PM Morpheus

Weight training for swimming with free weights?

Started by b2run
Views: 1268 Posts: 5

2013-02-06 12:00 AM AdventureBear

Loose muscle to drop body weight

Started by chenny
Views: 945 Posts: 12

2012-03-16 4:35 PM GoFaster

trouble loosing weight Pages: 1 2

Started by zimzelenac
Views: 3430 Posts: 50

2012-02-24 8:56 AM TriAya

Loosing weight the Pulse Monitor way

Started by pbenedict
Views: 715 Posts: 8

2004-11-06 11:36 AM piggpen35
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?