General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unofficial White Pond OWS Meetups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-13 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Unofficial White Pond OWS Meetups
I'll be swimming at White Pond (Kent/Carmel) this Saturday 6/15 at 6:00am. I thought it might be a good idea to post here if you plan on swimming there as it seems to be a popular swimming hole and folks can meet up for safety, etc. I'll post here if I'm doing so, and maybe others will too.

Happy training!

2013-06-18 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4775577

User image

Expert
Carmel
Subject: RE: Unofficial White Pond OWS Meetups
Just saw your post so I missed Saturday. 6am is early but I'm in to meet up sometime. (I work some nights)

I also ride for bikeway. Shoot me a PM so we can exchange numbers. I have new talking to a few guys about swimming White Pond or Lake Mahopac.
2013-06-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: MForger18

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
I sent you a PM.

Gonna try again to get there this Saturday early AM.
2013-06-20 11:03 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

Hudson Valley Region
I am also on Team Bikeway and would love to try some OWS at White Pond. I used to swim at Red Wing in Hopewell but haven't renewed this year. The 15-yard pool at AllSport is getting crowded lately!
2013-06-21 8:17 AM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by thirdstation

I am also on Team Bikeway and would love to try some OWS at White Pond. I used to swim at Red Wing in Hopewell but haven't renewed this year. The 15-yard pool at AllSport is getting crowded lately!

I hear you. I swim in the oversized hot tub at AS too. If you're an early bird, I'm planning to get in at white pond tomorrow then head to the bikeway group ride in wappingers.

If you are still looking for a.better pool alternative in September, check out the FISH masters group in Poughkeepsie. They are a great group with swimmers of all speeds, but a little too far north for me to swim with often.
2013-06-21 8:18 PM

Hudson Valley Region
I can't make it tomorrow. All-day lacrosse tournament. What is the water like there? I've never been.

2013-06-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by thirdstation

I can't make it tomorrow. All-day lacrosse tournament. What is the water like there? I've never been.

The water is a)deep, bring a floatation device is my recommendation; b) clean, but not clear. It's one of those green water NY lakes, so don't expect to see the bottom anywhere c) full of flora and fauna. It really starts to weed up as the summer progresses. Right now its fine, just swimming through small patches of lake grass, but in a few weeks, there may be more weeds than I'm comfortable with, in which case, I'll move to the Hudson for OWS d) a popular fishing hole. fisherman and kayaks seem to start arriving at around 7am. No motorboats allowed, so not a safety issue. I personally just dont want to go flopping around scaring fish near some other dad who is trying to catch some fishies with his kids. There's enough room for everyone, about a 3,000 yard circle, but you can swim anything in between. e) near some great places to ride a bike, namely rt 301 and the various country roads that cross it.

There's no set meetup that I know of. So if you have time some other time and want to go, just post it and maybe someone else likes that time as well...
2014-06-03 12:05 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
Bringing this back up....i am from Boston but have family in Brewster. I am coming home for Fathers day weekend and wanted to see if anyone is around to swim at white pond sunday afternoon? mid morning can work to. would love company! never been there before...PM or shoot me an email.

[email protected]

2014-06-06 7:55 PM
in reply to: espejo09

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
If you wanted to get in a swim Saturday morning that weekend, I'd be happy to meet up. On Sunday (Father's Day) I'll be swimming in my back yard, and by swimming, I mean floating around while the kids fetch me beers.

[email protected]
2014-12-27 9:59 PM

in the winter do you swim any were else besides white pond email me mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unofficial White Pond OWS Meetups Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

White Pond OWS

Started by astorm65
Views: 1165 Posts: 2

2011-07-12 5:11 PM bdenehy

White Pond in Carmel?

Started by astorm65
Views: 3129 Posts: 8

2012-07-06 8:27 AM Paddy1

OWS near Valhalla/White Plains NY

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1081 Posts: 3

2011-05-05 6:43 PM [email protected]

Manhattan to White Plains bike ride?

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 2303 Posts: 2

2010-07-22 7:48 PM jmk-brooklyn

Anyone in White Plains area

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 960 Posts: 3

2009-04-04 7:48 AM drcherrybomb21
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.
date : December 27, 2004
author : dwilliams
What? This isn't a duathlon?