Other Resources The Political Joe » Domestic Violence and teachers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-13 5:25 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: Domestic Violence and teachers

Ran across this article today and could not believe it!  Seems to me it is a slippery slope that private schools (the teachers do not have union representation) should not be on.  If they are willing to remove a teacher and her children from the school because of a DV incident (in the name of protecting all of the students and staff) then every student that is experiencing this type of problem at home should be removed as well.

What say you COJ?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teacher-fired-domestic-violence-ex-husband-161455153.html

2013-06-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Domestic Violence and teachers

Ridiculous. I'm not a big fan of our lawsuit-happy society, but I'm glad she's suing. I'd love to be her lawyer because on the surface it looks like she has a great case. That must be wrongful termination.

2013-06-13 5:50 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
I don't think we should sue just because, but this is inexcusable! If our school district had behaved this was I would have been out of a job in 2003. And it certainly wouldn't have helped my children to be removed from the school because of a bad choice on their father's part.
2013-06-13 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I'm a public educator this just gives me another reason to dislike private schools.
2013-06-13 6:14 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by EKH I'm a public educator this just gives me another reason to dislike private schools.

Unfortunately, in today's society (where the union is viewed as the enemy and is almost non-existent, i.e. Wisconsin) it could happen in a public school too.  This just helps to set the precedent. 

2013-06-13 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
It is not just a private school, it is a religious private school.

It does not necessarily fit in to the issues and facts presented in the article.
It is not as if they claimed a spiritual reason for firing her, but it does suggest that they are used to playing by their own set of rules.

I live and worked in SD County, but I do not have experience with this school in particular.

2013-06-13 8:02 PM

User image

I'm thinking this needs to go in the political joe forum.

2013-06-13 8:30 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by DanielG I'm thinking this needs to go in the political joe forum.

I'd be interested to hear what the Mods think about this. This seems to me like a news story suitable for COJ, but I see your point.

2013-06-13 8:40 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by DanielG I'm thinking this needs to go in the political joe forum.

What say you mods?

2013-06-13 10:59 PM

User image

Pro
Wow.....that's ridiculous.
2013-06-14 7:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Boise
I understand why the school was concerned about a psycho ex-husband coming to her work, but they shouldn't have fired her.

2013-06-14 7:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
What a horrible story and what that teacher had to go through.

Labour laws in most jurisdictions would cover this no problem. I would be surprised that there weren't laws in place for wrongful dismissal like this. If this was in Ontario, she would have an open/shut case. In fact, I'd assume in most states/provinces this would be unheard of with the facts presented. If there is more behind the scenes we don't know about who knows. But from whats been presented, it is absolutely astounding that a victim of this kind of abuse is made to suffer again.

As for Unions infecting the workplace what a horrible thought. We've seen what they've done to the public system here in Ontario.... I don't think a single case like this as a rational argument to talk unions...

Edited by TheCrownsOwn 2013-06-14 7:19 AM
2013-06-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn What a horrible story and what that teacher had to go through. Labour laws in most jurisdictions would cover this no problem. I would be surprised that there weren't laws in place for wrongful dismissal like this. If this was in Ontario, she would have an open/shut case. In fact, I'd assume in most states/provinces this would be unheard of with the facts presented. If there is more behind the scenes we don't know about who knows. But from whats been presented, it is absolutely astounding that a victim of this kind of abuse is made to suffer again. As for Unions infecting the workplace what a horrible thought. We've seen what they've done to the public system here in Ontario.... I don't think a single case like this as a rational argument to talk unions...

Here in the states, MOST (if not all) private schools don't have unions, therefore, the teachers are hired/fired at will.  They are pretty much immune from wrongful dismissal claims. 

2013-06-14 8:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by BAMBAM66

Here in the states, MOST (if not all) private schools don't have unions, therefore, the teachers are hired/fired at will.  They are pretty much immune from wrongful dismissal claims. 

As it should be.

Considering the financial status, and that means ultimately the teaching capability, of places like Chicago, Detroit and most of California cities public schools, it's good there are schools that actually care about remaining solvent rather than pandering to unions.

2013-06-14 8:43 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Originally posted by DanielG

As it should be. Considering the financial status, and that means ultimately the teaching capability, of places like Chicago, Detroit and most of California cities public schools, it's good there are schools that actually care about remaining solvent rather than pandering to unions.

Because her husband was a psycho and she took preventative measures to protect herself and their children (and the school, ultimately) she should be fired?  How does that address her teaching abilities? 

2013-06-14 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

As it should be. Considering the financial status, and that means ultimately the teaching capability, of places like Chicago, Detroit and most of California cities public schools, it's good there are schools that actually care about remaining solvent rather than pandering to unions.

Because her husband was a psycho and she took preventative measures to protect herself and their children (and the school, ultimately) she should be fired?  How does that address her teaching abilities? 

I think the disconnect is that your jumping to the conclusion that a Union is the only answer to this problem. It may very well offer assistance in this one particular instance, but she is capable of acting on her own behalf which is clearly seen. She is smart, a professional teacher and obviously able to carry on with launching a law suit. And it appears rightfully so. So why have a redundancy of a Union to act on her behalf when she can act on her own behalf? The problems a Union will bring to an institution will far outweigh the positives. And the negatives are simply astounding... So saying a Union should be in place at a private school seems a little over the top....

My point is that Labour laws are already in place to protect private and public employees. The jump that a Union is needed to protect this teacher is a really big one... Its a common theme that Unions preach they are needed to protect one's rights.....

Look at the Teachers' Unions in Ontario......(public, not separate school boards) Demanding more money though inflation was flat....tow the Union line or your blackballed, Millions poured into lobby groups to sway politicians and to sway elections, seniority over ability.....or my favourite when they weigh in on International politics and publicly criticize foreign countries.....I can cite several specific examples of incidents in teachers unions that would equally speak against organized labour of teachers compared to the one case in this thread where you think they need it....which I still don't understand why.

2013-06-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Master
MidWest
Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn

I think the disconnect is that your jumping to the conclusion that a Union is the only answer to this problem. It may very well offer assistance in this one particular instance, but she is capable of acting on her own behalf which is clearly seen. She is smart, a professional teacher and obviously able to carry on with launching a law suit. And it appears rightfully so. So why have a redundancy of a Union to act on her behalf when she can act on her own behalf? The problems a Union will bring to an institution will far outweigh the positives. And the negatives are simply astounding... So saying a Union should be in place at a private school seems a little over the top.... My point is that Labour laws are already in place to protect private and public employees. The jump that a Union is needed to protect this teacher is a really big one... Its a common theme that Unions preach they are needed to protect one's rights..... Look at the Teachers' Unions in Ontario......(public, not separate school boards) Demanding more money though inflation was flat....tow the Union line or your blackballed, Millions poured into lobby groups to sway politicians and to sway elections, seniority over ability.....or my favourite when they weigh in on International politics and publicly criticize foreign countries.....I can cite several specific examples of incidents in teachers unions that would equally speak against organized labour of teachers compared to the one case in this thread where you think they need it....which I still don't understand why.

As a teacher, I am definitely not gung-ho for unions.  I understand that they have their place; I just don't always agree with them (protecting teachers just because they are tenured is one of my issues with them). Would she have been fired if there had been a union?  Maybe not, but that is not the issue here.  The issue is should a teacher be fired because they take steps to protect themselves and their employer by informing them of issues that MAY come into play during work hours? 

Yes, she should fight to retain her job!  I know that here in IL a teacher at a private school can be fired for any reason or no reason at all.  They are hired/fired as at-will teachers. 

2013-06-14 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
No woman should lose her job because her husband is an abusive azzhole.  They should take steps against him, not her and her children.
2013-06-14 11:30 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

This should probably move forums....before a stern warning goes out....

2013-06-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Champion
Chicago
I like how they suggest people `pray' for the woman and her children but they don't actually lift a finger to help them out in their time of need. Just another reason I'm a proud atheist. The hypocrisy of the church knows no bounds.
2013-06-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mr2tony I like how they suggest people `pray' for the woman and her children but they don't actually lift a finger to help them out in their time of need. Just another reason I'm a proud atheist. The hypocrisy of the church knows no bounds.

I'm guessing not all churches/religion would not take this line of action.  I know the church my father leads wouldn't (and hasn't, in a case similar to this)

Perhaps it's a bunch of pious individuals acting on self interest than something the entire church/religion holds fast on?

2013-06-14 3:08 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Suppose that they did nothing and knew this guy is an imminent threat to security of everyone at the school. And then something tragic happened. How would opinion look then?

The school can't win here. I think they should help her to find another job with carreer placement services.

But to know about the danger he can inflict and do nothing is remiss on the school's part.

I can see both sides and neither is clearly wrong.
2013-06-14 3:21 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Originally posted by pitt83

Suppose that they did nothing and knew this guy is an imminent threat to security of everyone at the school. And then something tragic happened. How would opinion look then?

Not just the opinion here, instead of a single wrongful termination suit, the school ends up with a handful of physical and a dozen emotional trauma suits.

2013-06-14 3:24 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pitt83 Suppose that they did nothing and knew this guy is an imminent threat to security of everyone at the school. And then something tragic happened. How would opinion look then? The school can't win here. I think they should help her to find another job with carreer placement services. But to know about the danger he can inflict and do nothing is remiss on the school's part. I can see both sides and neither is clearly wrong.

To me, making a victim be a victim again is clearly wrong.

2013-06-14 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by pitt83

The school can't win here. I think they should help her to find another job with carreer placement services.

But to know about the danger he can inflict and do nothing is remiss on the school's part.

I can see both sides and neither is clearly wrong.

It's CLEARLY WRONG to punish the woman by firing her and kicking her kids out of school for doing nothing other than being a victim of domestic violence? You're basically telling abused women to keep their mouths shut or they'll lose their jobs and suffer other consequences for speaking up, which, in turn, empowers the abuser even more. As I understand it, these women have a hard enough time telling someone about the abuse, adding the fear of losing their jobs or punishing their children by kicking them out of school will only make it infinitely worse.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Domestic Violence and teachers Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Teacher Teacher

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 805 Posts: 1

2010-06-10 1:53 PM BellinghamSpence

who has domestic help?

Started by bootygirl
Views: 940 Posts: 20

2007-04-16 6:25 PM betsy

considering a career as a domestic goddess??

Started by autumn
Views: 1088 Posts: 20

2006-08-03 7:48 PM bootygirl

Domestic Surveilance Part 2 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 3282 Posts: 69

2006-05-17 3:58 PM drewb8

Teachers, calling the BT teachers (or spouses)....

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1142 Posts: 12

2006-03-20 1:13 PM courtney_leone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2006
author : mscotthall
comments : 3
Often we face the dilemma of putting together a training plan for the school year that fits into our busy days. I thought I would share some ideas on scheduling your training.

date : March 5, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 0
It’s frighteningly amazing how much fitness you lose in such a short amount of time, which makes no sense if you ask me. It should leave no quicker than it was achieved.
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.