Other Resources My Cup of Joe » kitchen ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-14 7:23 AM

Veteran
Subject: kitchen ideas
renovating our small (actually, tiny) kitchen. Due to the limited space, we're pretty set with layout, but not the hard part, picking out the cabinet color/style. Thankfully, my wife and daughter will make that decision. I'm somewhat of a gadget person, so I'm asking if anyone has any neat, slick gadgets that they like- space savers, or just something cool that you've seen or like.. We haven't picked out a fridge yet, so if you have any ideas there, fire away. Despite the limited size, we will go with a full size fridge.

Thanks..

2013-06-14 7:45 AM
in reply to: big joe

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: kitchen ideas
Originally posted by big joe

renovating our small (actually, tiny) kitchen. Due to the limited space, we're pretty set with layout, but not the hard part, picking out the cabinet color/style. Thankfully, my wife and daughter will make that decision. I'm somewhat of a gadget person, so I'm asking if anyone has any neat, slick gadgets that they like- space savers, or just something cool that you've seen or like.. We haven't picked out a fridge yet, so if you have any ideas there, fire away. Despite the limited size, we will go with a full size fridge.

Thanks..

I just finished remodeling mine

Must have: All plywood construction. Don't go cheap here as the particle board just isn't suitable for framing. We bought Schuler cabinets through Lowe's. I used to have KraftMaid and they were aweful. Constantly a break here and there. Cheap drawer rails, plastic parts for essential function. Do not buy these!

Things I like: Pergo flooring. Awesome look and resiliency.
Garbage disposal. Get the 0,5HP Badger for $100. The more expensive ones are just quieter, but who cares? You run it for 10 seconds and you're done.
Solid surface counters: We went with Quartz (SileStone) since it's the most resilient to stans and scratches. Granite can stain if it's not regularly sealed and laminate will not handle moisture well.

Would not bother with: Soft closing hinges. At $5 a piece, you save the cost of the plywood upgrade which is much more important.
Roll outs: They take up SO much floor space in the cabinet, you lose more storage than you gain in convenience.
Tip out trays: They are cheap plastic and chip and break if you take them out to clean them more than twice.

We bought Samsung appliances and, after a month, we still love them. I got a GREAT deal at BestBuy when they price matched an on-line site.
2013-06-14 7:55 AM
in reply to: pitt83

Veteran
good info, very helpful. Ive seen SileStone and my wife likes it a lot..
2013-06-14 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I got rid of my knife block (and a lot of useless knives) and replaced it with one of those wall mount magnets. Looks slick, is less gross (knife block holds bacteria) and saves a little space. But mainly it's a good way to show off my expensive knives
2013-06-14 9:15 AM

User image

Here's a before and after of my kitchen.

The before is when I was looking at the house or had just bought it. I'm trying to figure out whose purse that is. I think it's the realtor's

http://www.ankylosaur.com/webpicsdir/kitchenremod/

I spent damn near 24 hours rewiring that thing so it would be all put together before the paneling and tile went up on the walls.
I ripped the floor up myself and moved the dish washer so I could actually get to the sink and open the sink doors with the dish washer open.

Then there's the black and white inspector about half way down, making sure everything's up to HIS code.

2013-06-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by DanielG

The before is when I was looking at the house or had just bought it. I'm trying to figure out whose purse that is. I think it's the realtor's

I spent damn near 24 hours rewiring that thing so it would be all put together before the paneling and tile went up on the walls.
I ripped the floor up myself and moved the dish washer so I could actually get to the sink and open the sink doors with the dish washer open.

Then there's the black and white inspector about half way down, making sure everything's up to HIS code.

You reminded me to talk about wiring. Make the time to have the refrigerator, the disposal, the dishwasher and the microwave on their own, independant 20Amp circuits. These should be a home run between the device and panel with no junctions or other uses.

If you're that deep into the wiring, it MAY be easier to have a sub-panel in the kitchen and locate the breakers there. I have mine in the main box and wish I had sub-paneled it.

Also, WRT plumbing; be sure to relocate the drain for the sink to the proper elevation of your new sink. Mine is too high (went from shallow sink to deep sink and added disposal) and my sink drains poorly as the water has to rise about 5 inches instead of the standard 1-2 above the trap.

2013-06-14 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Denver
I don't think it counts as a gadget but I put in a pressure switch for the disposal in the counter right next to the sink. I thought it was kind of cool and definitely more convenient than a wall switch. I found a fairly inexpensive Maytag dishwasher with a aluminum tub which is much, much quieter than the plastic tubs and nearly the same price.
2013-06-14 9:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

For a space saver, get rid of the spice rack and pick up some of these magnetic containers from Ikea ($4.99 for set of 3). Mine are stored on the side of my fridge, right next to the stove top. Cute and functional. Takes up zero space in cabinets or countertop.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919/

2013-06-14 11:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
I haven't done it yet but plan to do a custom pantry similar to what this company does.

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-238-pullout-wood-tall-pantry-accessori...

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/rev-pages/product-listing.aspx?CategoryF...

I too have a small kitchen and the pantry is a joke - 18" wide x 7' tall. Virtually impossible to store a decent amount of food stacked front to back without having to dig over things.

I may do something similar in a few, select cabinets (i.e. trash can, spice/ condiments rack).

I also plan to redo the cabinet doors. They will have a typical framed look but on the lower doors they will have a center panel of bee board and above they will have frosted glass.

Edited by bullyboy 2013-06-14 11:47 AM
2013-06-14 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

You don't like wood paneling??
2013-06-14 12:34 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Originally posted by JoshR

You don't like wood paneling??

Too dark. I wanted a lighter base.

2013-06-14 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have you been to houzz.com
Warning, it's addictive! You can type in something like small kitchen, kitchen organization etc and it will bring up a ton of pictures of kitchens.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/100167/Ikea-Kitchen-eclectic-kitchen-bu...

I love this kitchen and their pot racks http://www.houzz.com/photos/56668/KitchenLab-eclectic-kitchen-other...

the nice thing is they have a gazillion pictures so everyone can find their style.

One of the favorite ideas I saw from there is mounting a half round wall mount pot rack over the sink. If you're lazy (like me) you can wash your pots and pans and hang them there to drip dry. Leaving your counter free from a drying rack.

I have found a million mud room ideas that I want to use from the site.
2013-06-16 8:22 AM

Veteran
oh yeah, houzz .com is addictive... we've down downoaded tons of ideas from there. Only 'problem" is, there are almost too many ideas and it gets almost overwhelming. I like the wiring advice.tr.. since the walls are going to open, might as well do it completely right this time and throw in a few extra outlets. And the subpanel is a great - my toaster oven and microwave are always blowing fuses... thanks
2013-06-16 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

"Maple" and "Granite" add the most value to your kitchen.   Really only important if you're looking to sell your house anytime soon.

I do not share Pitt's experience with Kraftmaid cabinets... ours have been awesome, as were the ones installed at my parents' house.  Soft close drawers are awesome if you have kids.  They are full plywood and have a nice finish.  Ours were a lightly-stained maple in Mission style.

Agree on the "slide outs" ... not worth it.   Our kitchen is not HUGE but we did have a lot of cabinet space.  We went with cabinets all the way to the ceiling because my wife hates that gap between the ceiling and the cabinet... and we had 9ft ceilings.

If you have a stand mixer, get a mixer cabinet.   It swings up and out and locks into place so you can use it, and then you can fold it away when you're done.  Saves valuable counter space.

Here's ours:

We also chose 2 styles of granite, one for the island, one for the surrounds.  It sets it off a little bit.

Our kitchen is open to the living room (standing in the living room when this picture was taken) so I got the quieter garbage disposal.   Also got an extremely quiet dishwasher.   I can't stress how important this is when your kitchen is close to your living space.  Esp if you've got a big family and might be running the dishwasher more than once a day.   Our old house had a dishwasher that was about as loud as a Metallica concert.  The new one is basically silent while it runs.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » kitchen ideas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hell's Kitchen

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 754 Posts: 10

2009-07-22 1:35 PM })i({RunnerGirl

High end kitchen knives Pages: 1 2

Started by Maine Rob
Views: 2502 Posts: 32

2008-12-16 9:00 AM Machiavelo

Kitchen Nightmares

Started by condorman
Views: 1141 Posts: 14

2008-11-01 2:34 PM AcesFull

Kitchen flooring

Started by TheSchwamm
Views: 1446 Posts: 23

2013-07-29 1:40 PM cgregg

Kitchen People

Started by parrj
Views: 817 Posts: 17

2007-01-31 12:41 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
To find out more about the Pyramid's hidden messages, I logged on to www.MyPyramid.gov. This website, in contrast to the icon, offers an impressive amount of helpful information.

date : June 5, 2006
Some athletes wisely devour lots of fruit, believing it to be among the healthiest of food choices. But other athletes mistakenly avoid fruit, seeing it as an evil source of sugar and carbs.
date : September 3, 2005
The purpose of this article is to look at caffeine (most commonly consumed as coffee) as part of a sports diet and to help you determine whether you want to take it or leave it.

date : July 17, 2005
Today, exercise physiologists are intently researching the best ways to build muscles — without steroids, that is! This article touches upon the science of eating to build muscles.
date : March 13, 2005
The Athlete’s Kitchen by Nancy Clark: Not even the healthiest marathoner or the strongest triathlete among us is bullet proof. Hence, the time to make dietary changes is now.