General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-06-14 1:49 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Subject: RE: Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning
Not sure but it kind of seems like an ironic thing to say. Sure would be a jagged little pill though.

2013-06-14 1:51 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Elite
Cleveland

It could be worse.  He could have shown up but not showered before getting in the water.

2013-06-14 3:02 PM

User image

Regular
This is the story of my life! I swim at the local college. The pool is staffed by student lifeguards. The hours aren't great. Like sometimes it's only slotted to open from say 12-2 pm. And I will use my lunch break and wait till about 12:30 and no lifeguard shows. It happens more often than not. So sometimes if I can manage the time I will drive more than an hour away to the next closest pool that is a Rec center. I may have to share a lane with people, but at least it's open and I can swim!

jami
2013-06-14 3:12 PM
in reply to: jdotten

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
I'm just surprised the pool has a lifeguard. None of the pools at my gym chain in town (OZ Fitness) have lifeguards. Maybe it's becuase they're just lap pools and the "deep end" is only about 5' deep. Sure makes things easier to not have to worry whether the lifeguard will be there.
2013-06-14 5:17 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by MLPFS Not sure but it kind of seems like an ironic thing to say. Sure would be a jagged little pill though.

That's the spirit!

2013-06-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk I am in the category of "people who will understand". This would most likely set the tone for my entire morning and possibly the day if I couldn't get the workout it. Being the father of three small children and the husband to a mostly supportive wife, if I left the house that early for a swim and didn't get in the pool, I would have a hard time justifying trying to do the same thing tomorrow. I know there will be people on BT that say things like: "that's not a real problem" "There are worse things in the world going on than you missing your swim workout" "maybe the lifegaurd had a car accident, family emergency, house fire, etc" Regardless of the reasons behind the "no show", I woudl still be very irritated too. Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

I'm here for you, man.....I think you should hunt him down and beat the hell out of him!

"LIKE"

2013-06-14 8:40 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk ... Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?
Uh, why would you globally include "BT community" instead of "a few BT members of the community"?

This is good advice that you just didn't take.  Innocent

Please 'splain your comment since I'm not sure how to take that comment.
I'm thinking that you are insinuating that I shouldn't chastise the O.P. on their thread, OR that you think I should take the advice and complain about these kinds of problems, ORRRRRRRR ????
2013-06-14 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Does absolutely no good to stress over those things in which you have no control. Kinda like worrying about who you're racing against. No control over who shows up on race day. If it was me, I would have gone out and had a great run! There's now way I'm going to let a minimum wage grommet ruin a perfectly good training day by not showing up at the pool. Cmon, you're a triathlete, are you not? Adapt, overcome, persevere!
2013-06-14 9:48 PM

User image

Has there ever been a pool rant thread that hasn't gone to page 2?
2013-06-15 12:20 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Must have been a conspiracy - the lifeguard at my pool didn't show up today either and they had to call someone in. Finally showed and opened the pool 30 minutes late.
2013-06-15 12:49 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This happens to me at least once a month. Plus the lifeguard has, on different occasions, landed a toy plane in the pool, ridden laps around the pool on a bike, nearly drowned me by inducing an asthma attack when he decided to do welding at poolside, habitually sprays aftershave and deodorant poolside, etc. etc. He clearly doesn't want to be there as he could be earning more coaching elsewhere but he has to stay for me and a few other swimmers. It's gotten to the point where, basically, I bribe him to "do his job" which, when only adults are in the water, he interprets as being somewhere within 50m of the pool, with doors unlocked and lights (usually) on. It's never certain term to term if I'll still have those little windows of swim time--45-50 minutes 2X during the workweek and a few hours on Saturday. And the above pool/guard is by far my most reliable option for swim training. Pretty much every other local pool is usually full of unsupervised kids, with 0-1 lap lanes, and drownings have occurred at most of them.

2013-06-15 1:26 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk ... Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?
Uh, why would you globally include "BT community" instead of "a few BT members of the community"?

I'm thinking that you are insinuating that I shouldn't chastise the O.P. on their thread, OR that you think I should take the advice and complain about these kinds of problems, ORRRRRRRR ????

It's a clever reference. Try reading some of the responses again
2013-06-15 4:51 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

This happens rather often in nearly every pool I've ever used.  Finding a reliable morning lifeguard is a TOUGH TOUGH gig.

Lifeguards are not paid well.

It's definitely frustrating.  But if you ever DO get a super reliable AM lifeguard...treat that person well so they want to stay around....

2013-06-15 4:53 AM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by Coach Gil Does absolutely no good to stress over those things in which you have no control. Kinda like worrying about who you're racing against. No control over who shows up on race day. If it was me, I would have gone out and had a great run! There's now way I'm going to let a minimum wage grommet ruin a perfectly good training day by not showing up at the pool. Cmon, you're a triathlete, are you not? Adapt, overcome, persevere!

Um, I don't normally bring my bike or running shoes to the gym if I am planning to swim...if I carted all my gear around all the time "in case the lifeguard doesn't show" I'd be taking it everywhere with me...absolutely silly.

Most times if the lifeguard doesn't show I am SOL for other workout options due to lack of gear....

2013-06-15 4:59 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
I'm feeling pretty grateful that my gym's lap pool is open 24/7 and you can swim whether the lifeguards are there or not.  And that my membership is free because I work there Cool
2013-06-15 6:52 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

Let me add a new dimension to this extended rant.

I've showed at the gym when the pool opens (6AM) and waited for the lifeguard. And then I asked at the desk where they mumbled in shock - "Oh? He's not here?" Then I went on the treadmill and 40 minutes later, he showed up. I like to give people the benefit of a doubt - he could have had car trouble, or whatever, but no explanation was offered, so I assume he was just late. Maybe in the original post he was the first one there and there was no one to call in to to post a note, or whatever (I would check but that is already many posts back).

And yes, I do agree it is a dull job, but its a job. You don't have to take it, but it isn't that hard to do, and if you take it you should commit to showing up because people rely on it.

However, this SAME lifeguard - the very same guy - is quite timely about closing. I have had arguments with him at 8:55 about whether or not it was 'close enough' to 9 that I should have to stop swimming yet. I planned 36 laps, not 33!

Rant done.

2013-06-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

You oughta know...
2013-06-15 5:59 PM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Who said anything about a bike? And "carting" around a pair of 8 oz. running shoes is indeed quite a load. My point was why on God's green earth do people allow themselves to be stressed out over issues out of their control? And go so far as to say "someone ruined my day, wah, wah, wah and I couldn't do what I had planned, wah, wah, wah! Sh*t happens, get over it, don't look to point fingers, move on and go forward. Do you call 911 when you flat on the road or do you carry what you need to fix it? I'll bet you fix it yourself and continue on with your ride! Less stress equals better health, period!
2013-06-15 8:02 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Dnn

It's a clever reference. Try reading some of the responses again

So how's that working out for you? Being clever I mean...... How deep can we take the layers of references?

FWIW I just had one of those days that warrants my usual rants against first-world problems, but I am still sympathetic. I just attended the removal of life support for a woman I've been pastor to for 15 years. As I left, I walked by the children's hospital wondering about how many terminal cancer patients are in there. Then I thought about children massacred in Syria.

Someone ALWAYS has it way harder, and I get that. But no judgment here for having a normal discussion about things not being the way they're supposed to. If we allow everything that isn't dire and emergent to always slide because it just doesn't matter, the level of malaise and despair will only increase. Don't lose your mind over it, and it doesn't appear you have. It was last August that I acted like my world was ending over a freaking bicycle. I beat myself over even caring, since all that other stuff exists.

Perspective that it is indeed, a first world problem, is enough. It's the people without perspective who go over the top on the affront meter.

You can still be upset about it. I would be.

2013-06-15 10:50 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

You oughta know...

Genius!
2013-06-16 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

The pool that I swim in doesn't technically open until 6:00, but the facility doors are open at about 5:40 and I see people already in the water when I arrive at 5:50, lifeguard or not. No, they aren't really supposed to be in the water before the guards come on duty, but as it's the shallow end (the bulkhead is permanently in place since a silly climbing wall was installed at the deep end) and it's regulars who clearly know how to swim, no-one tries to stop them.
The next time it happens, just get in and swim. What are they going to do, get a boat hook and haul you out forcibly?

Edited by Seabeast 2013-06-16 7:57 AM

2013-06-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by zed707

I'm just surprised the pool has a lifeguard. None of the pools at my gym chain in town (OZ Fitness) have lifeguards. Maybe it's becuase they're just lap pools and the "deep end" is only about 5' deep. Sure makes things easier to not have to worry whether the lifeguard will be there.

Yeah i was going to say the same thing lol. Even if it was 7feet deep or something I still don't understand why we would need a lifeguard? Should be a swim at you're own risk situation if you ask me.
2013-06-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Jason N

Has there ever been a pool rant thread that hasn't gone to page 2?

I think you should start a new thread...
2013-06-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Wetaskiwin Canada
happened to me this morning, was really looking forward to the swim. 2nd time in the last 2 years so I guess I really can't complain but........
2013-06-16 3:11 PM
in reply to: Seabeast

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Seabeast

The next time it happens, just get in and swim. What are they going to do, get a boat hook and haul you out forcibly?

I would but the lifeguard has to unlock the door from the inside. Because it's a Y with a deep end (9 feet, I think) I think it's an insurance issue -- not allowed to swim at our own risks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Lifeguard Hijinx (friday humor inside)

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1764 Posts: 6

2012-12-01 7:01 PM Coach Gil

Do we really need lifeguards at the pool? Pages: 1 2

Started by cstoulil
Views: 7375 Posts: 29

2011-12-18 10:42 PM reecealan

Lifeguard requirement

Started by flip18436572
Views: 1864 Posts: 8

2011-02-15 6:38 AM flip18436572

Clydesdale Gripe... Pages: 1 2

Started by waskelton
Views: 2789 Posts: 31

2006-07-02 6:52 PM RGRBILL

Water walker gripe..

Started by Baseball1
Views: 853 Posts: 5

2005-05-27 1:24 PM m80
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."