General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-06-16 3:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning

Same with my pool, I have to wait for the lifeguard to unlock the pool area door. 

My pool does not open until 6:30am, which only allows me a 30 minute swim before work. They know I can swim, Im there several times a week. I BEGGED the management to let me swim without a lifeguard, they said no way

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-16 3:40 PM

2013-06-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

I'm a current guard as a part-time gig, and I can understand the frustration of not being able to get a morning swim in, especially if you're on a schedule and you can't do it later in the day or after work. There's nothing more annoying in the exercise world than getting pumped up to get your work out in early in the morning and then you don't get to do it. ANNOYING!

Just something to keep in mind (though, this is not an excuse): Most guards, who guard at pools that are not college pools, also have full-time jobs, and life guarding does not pay well at all. I mean, think about it. Guards have to usually plunk down 100-200 dollars of their own money to be certified, they are responsible for the lives of everyone on the deck and in the pool, and they usually pull in minimum wage (8.25 in the state of MD). It's a tough job, and a very un-rewarding one, for such a low wage. When was the last time you thanked your guard for having a kill count of zero? When was the last time you bitched at the guard for the pool being too cold or the chemicals not being perfect to your personal specifications? Exactly.

So, when a guard doesn't show up early in the morning, 9 times out of 10, they over-slept. They probably over-slept because they may have been at the pool until 11 pm the night before, they may have already worked 60+ hours and turned their alarm off in their sleep, they may have opened multiple days that week, or just straight-up forgot to set their alarm. They may have also quit or been fired the day before and the gym couldn't find anyone to cover.

Even though it's totally frustrating, and I can completely empathize with the frustration level, try not to assume that a guard that doesn't show up are just lazy and looking to inconvenience you. Just take it with a grain of salt and either try again the next day, or find a pool that doesn't need a guard to be open.
2013-06-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by dkahns51
Originally posted by zed707 I'm just surprised the pool has a lifeguard. None of the pools at my gym chain in town (OZ Fitness) have lifeguards. Maybe it's becuase they're just lap pools and the "deep end" is only about 5' deep. Sure makes things easier to not have to worry whether the lifeguard will be there.
Yeah i was going to say the same thing lol. Even if it was 7feet deep or something I still don't understand why we would need a lifeguard? Should be a swim at you're own risk situation if you ask me.

Because someone can drown in an inch of water?

2013-06-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Originally posted by trishie
Because someone can drown in an inch of water?

Shhhh! People can only have heart attacks, cramps, and/or strokes on dry land. Water makes them immune from things like that.
2013-06-17 11:22 AM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by BostonSwim41

When was the last time you thanked your guard for having a kill count of zero?

I do call out a "thank you" to them as I'm leaving the pool. =)

I took today off but we'll see if he's on time on Wednesday. I know this is not a real problem. Life happens, people oversleep, etc. Just annoying, and I knew I could commiserate with my fellow BT'ers.

2013-06-17 12:38 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

I do call out a "thank you" to them as I'm leaving the pool. =)

I took today off but we'll see if he's on time on Wednesday. I know this is not a real problem. Life happens, people oversleep, etc. Just annoying, and I knew I could commiserate with my fellow BT'ers.

That's nice of you! You're in the definite minority. Granted, no one needs to thank their lifeguard every single time they swim, I just mean that for every "thank you" guards get, they get 10 people who complain for no reason.

And I am totally empathetic to your frustration. It is a real problem in the sense that it's something that's important to you (and others) and you weren't able to do it. While I do advocate for the guards, at the same time, if you can't be up to open the pool, switch your shift so you can handle it. That's why I work three times a week from 6 pm - 11 pm, not 4:30 am - 10:00 am. It's much easier for me to close the pool than open it.

2013-06-17 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

nm

Edited by trishie 2013-06-17 12:53 PM
2013-06-17 1:12 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

It's a tough job, and a very un-rewarding one, for such a low wage. When was the last time you thanked your guard for having a kill count of zero? When was the last time you bitched at the guard for the pool being too cold or the chemicals not being perfect to your personal specifications? Exactly.  

Interesting perspective. But again no one is forcing someone to be a lifeguard - just like any job you sign up for it knowing what will be involved (work, pay, etc.). I don't feel it necessary to thank someone for doing their job on a daily basis (unless they are volunteering) - just me I guess.

I have never complained to a guard about anything... I wasn't under the impression they controlled water temp or chemicals. The 2 times I've complained about that kind of thing (chemicals literally burned the skin and tongue and water temp was not as advertised), it was to management. 

2013-06-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957
Interesting perspective. But again no one is forcing someone to be a lifeguard - just like any job you sign up for it knowing what will be involved (work, pay, etc.). I don't feel it necessary to thank someone for doing their job on a daily basis (unless they are volunteering) - just me I guess.

I have never complained to a guard about anything... I wasn't under the impression they controlled water temp or chemicals. The 2 times I've complained about that kind of thing (chemicals literally burned the skin and tongue and water temp was not as advertised), it was to management. 

Oh, it's totally someone's choice to be a lifeguard, my point is that there's not really any incentive to show up on time. The problem actually lies in the fact that life guards are always in high demand, since it requires certification and you don't get much pay, so pools are always very short on guards---thus, they rarely get fired in most places.

And you don't have to thank the guard I just meant that being a lifeguard is an extremely thank-less job, so not many guards have the incentive to go to work on time, since they are just going to get bitched at constantly whether they are on time or not.

You also seem to be a smart person, and complaining to management is the correct person to go to in that situation. Most people, though, feel as though the guard has direct control over things like temperature, chemical levels, and general pool rules. I could write a book about the hilarious things people complain to me about when on the pool deck. Last week, a woman didn't understand why we don't let 6 month olds go into a hot tub that's 105 degrees. Um, how about Darwin?
2013-06-17 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Originally posted by odpaul7

But getting up that early to do nothing but sit in a chair and watch the same people swim back and forth every day is hard.  

It's even harder to have sympathy for this kind of statement. 
Sorry but getting paid to sit in a chair is NOT hard work where I come from. Especially when you sign up for it and know the hours/duties going in. 

I think there is a general trend in young kids today to not care about their job and take no pride in their work. Hey its not their problem if they miss work, Who carses if they slack off and dont get the job done. Someone else will take care of it. I can get another job. Not saying thats what happened here, I have no idea what the reasons were. I was just commenting on the attitude of kids today to have a care less attitude, then complain when they don't get their own way. Rant over.
2013-06-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

If you think that all life guards do is sit in a chair, then I hope none of them show up to let you swim ever again. That's just ignorant.

2013-06-17 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

If you think that all life guards do is sit in a chair, then I hope none of them show up to let you swim ever again. That's just ignorant.

Its says that your comment was in response to mine. Not sure where you thought I said this but you might want to read my post again.
2013-06-17 2:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Its says that your comment was in response to mine. Not sure where you thought I said this but you might want to read my post again.

I'm sorry, it wasn't. I'm still new to the site; getting used to it! My comment wasn't to you, it was more in a general sense to anyone who thinks that all guards do is sit in a chair. That's like saying all mothers do is get laid.

Just because when you're there for a short period of time and all you see them do is sit in a chair, there's a lot more than that. Guards do more than just show up.

Edited by BostonSwim41 2013-06-17 2:17 PM
2013-06-17 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Its says that your comment was in response to mine. Not sure where you thought I said this but you might want to read my post again.
I'm sorry, it wasn't. I'm still new to the site; getting used to it! My comment wasn't to you, it was more in a general sense to anyone who thinks that all guards do is sit in a chair. That's like saying all mothers do is get laid. Just because when you're there for a short period of time and all you see them do is sit in a chair, there's a lot more than that. Guards do more than just show up.

Well, THIS thread is taking an interesting turn.  And I thought the Alanis Morrisett references were clever.

REMEMBER-Without picures it didn't happen. 

2013-06-17 2:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by BostonSwim41 If you think that all life guards do is sit in a chair, then I hope none of them show up to let you swim ever again. That's just ignorant.

I think it's interesting to note that the first person who mentioned that in this thread is/was a lifeguard. 

2013-06-17 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Its says that your comment was in response to mine. Not sure where you thought I said this but you might want to read my post again.
I'm sorry, it wasn't. I'm still new to the site; getting used to it! My comment wasn't to you, it was more in a general sense to anyone who thinks that all guards do is sit in a chair. That's like saying all mothers do is get laid. Just because when you're there for a short period of time and all you see them do is sit in a chair, there's a lot more than that. Guards do more than just show up.

Yikes.

2013-06-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Originally posted by jeffnboise
THIS thread is taking an interesting turn.  And I thought the Alanis Morrisett references were clever.

REMEMBER-Without picures it didn't happen. 

Hahaha I just meant that we all know mothers do much more than just have sex in order to be a mother. Guards do more than just sit in a chair. It was a pretty radical comparison, but I was just getting at the idea behind it.
2013-06-17 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by BostonSwim41 If you think that all life guards do is sit in a chair, then I hope none of them show up to let you swim ever again. That's just ignorant.

I think it's interesting to note that the first person who mentioned that in this thread is/was a lifeguard. 

CAT FIGHT!!!   

2013-06-17 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

CAT FIGHT!!!   

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!

Let me get my popcorn first.

2013-06-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

CAT FIGHT!!!   

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Let me get my popcorn first.

"Like"

2013-06-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: kalindsey

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by kalindsey

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk ... Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?
Uh, why would you globally include "BT community" instead of "a few BT members of the community"?

This is good advice that you just didn't take.  Innocent

Please 'splain your comment since I'm not sure how to take that comment.
I'm thinking that you are insinuating that I shouldn't chastise the O.P. on their thread, OR that you think I should take the advice and complain about these kinds of problems, ORRRRRRRR ????

You oughta know...

Genius!

I asked a question, and I get those answers. If I would've chastized, it would've been on the original posting comment, but I didn't. I was asking a question about WHY the O.P. assumed the "BT Community", not chastising. Perhaps if I left the "Uh" out in my question.

Anyways, continue to chastise. It's interesting to know who to avoid or blast in the future.

2013-06-17 3:33 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk ... Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?
Uh, why would you globally include "BT community" instead of "a few BT members of the community"?

Please 'splain your comment since I'm not sure how to take that comment.
I'm thinking that you are insinuating that I shouldn't chastise the O.P. on their thread, OR that you think I should take the advice and complain about these kinds of problems, ORRRRRRRR ????

You oughta know...

Genius!

I asked a question, and I get those answers. If I would've chastized, it would've been on the original posting comment, but I didn't. I was asking a question about WHY the O.P. assumed the "BT Community", not chastising. Perhaps if I left the "Uh" out in my question.

Anyways, continue to chastise. It's interesting to know who to avoid or blast in the future.
So I'm lost on this branch of the original thread.... Am I being asked the question or is someone else? This whole thing is just a little toooo ironic. Yeah, I really do think.

Edited by siouxcityhawk 2013-06-17 3:35 PM
2013-06-17 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Please 'splain your comment since I'm not sure how to take that comment. I'm thinking that you are insinuating that I shouldn't chastise the O.P. on their thread, OR that you think I should take the advice and complain about these kinds of problems, ORRRRRRRR ????
You oughta know...
Genius!
I asked a question, and I get those answers. If I would've chastized, it would've been on the original posting comment, but I didn't. I was asking a question about WHY the O.P. assumed the "BT Community", not chastising. Perhaps if I left the "Uh" out in my question. Anyways, continue to chastise. It's interesting to know who to avoid or blast in the future.

Please take a breath and come in off the ledge...if you look back at MY comments (including "Good advice that you just didn't take") and some of the quoted replies...they are lyrics to a SONG "Isn't it Ironic" by Alanis Morisette.  Some people 'got it', you obviously didn't.  I'm sorry if you feel offended. My intention was NOT to offend/insinuate/chastise/avoid or 'blast'. 

Geezz Laweez, I'm going to COJ.

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-06-17 3:40 PM
2013-06-17 3:45 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Please 'splain your comment since I'm not sure how to take that comment. I'm thinking that you are insinuating that I shouldn't chastise the O.P. on their thread, OR that you think I should take the advice and complain about these kinds of problems, ORRRRRRRR ????
You oughta know...
Genius!
I asked a question, and I get those answers. If I would've chastized, it would've been on the original posting comment, but I didn't. I was asking a question about WHY the O.P. assumed the "BT Community", not chastising. Perhaps if I left the "Uh" out in my question. Anyways, continue to chastise. It's interesting to know who to avoid or blast in the future.

Please take a breath and come in off the ledge...if you look back at MY comments (including "Good advice that you just didn't take") and some of the quoted replies...they are lyrics to a SONG "Isn't it Ironic" by Alanis Morisette.  Some people 'got it', you obviously didn't.  I'm sorry if you feel offended. My intention was NOT to offend/insinuate/chastise/avoid or 'blast'. 

Not commenting. Not worth my time.
2013-06-17 4:07 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

You oughta know...
Genius!

Not commenting. Not worth my time.

NO!...not hitting the "Reply" button is "not commenting".   Simply saying "Not Commenting" is also acceptable

"..not worth my time" is making a comment; a snarky comment. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Lifeguard Hijinx (friday humor inside)

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1762 Posts: 6

2012-12-01 7:01 PM Coach Gil

Do we really need lifeguards at the pool? Pages: 1 2

Started by cstoulil
Views: 7360 Posts: 29

2011-12-18 10:42 PM reecealan

Lifeguard requirement

Started by flip18436572
Views: 1862 Posts: 8

2011-02-15 6:38 AM flip18436572

Clydesdale Gripe... Pages: 1 2

Started by waskelton
Views: 2785 Posts: 31

2006-07-02 6:52 PM RGRBILL

Water walker gripe..

Started by Baseball1
Views: 850 Posts: 5

2005-05-27 1:24 PM m80
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."