Ironhead Race Productions
102F / 39C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 20s
Overall Rank = 316/416
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Dallas on Friday night to meet family coming back from trip to St. Louis. Had a nice reunion but a late night. The following day, we went to see my brother, sister in-law and their new baby. It was HOT in Dallas and I should have done my Sat. workout in the morning but we didn't have time so I rode with my brother at 5pm and then did a 10 minute run. We then met Charles and Anna for dinner at a local Pizza and Pasta place. Race day morning was the usual oatmeal and coffee.
Event warmup:

Short run and swim due to time spent looking for a crack-pipe adapter for my disc wheel. My pump and adapter were in my truck and my truck was used by a friend to drive back home! I was able to find an adapter from, none other than fellow BT'er Aaron (JeepFleeb). He and Comet where in the rack next to mine. What a relief! Thanks Aaron!
Swim
  • 28m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I know Jack always states that his courses are accurate and he even said this one was short (1490 vs 1500 meters). However, the swim times were not very good overall. My race started ok as I seeded myself in the middle and the front. I got off well and settled in fairly quickly. However, I soon noticed that I didn't have any power when pulling through the water. It was like I was too weak to pull powerfully through the water. I had never felt that way and it worried me to feel tired that soon in a race. I kept going and going and going and finally, after feeling like I had been treading water instead of swimming, I exited the swim at 28 minutes. That was a good 4-6 minutes slower than usual.
What would you do differently?:

I honestly don't know. I had good form and a great line but no energy to pull through the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Slow jog into T1 after the swim as I was thinking about why I felt so tired. Into transition and I realized that my bike shoes were still in my bag and not rubberbanded in the clips, like usual. I really was not into the race mentally. 1st: my pump and adapter, 2nd: Not setting up T1 properly, 3rd: blowing the swim...

Set-up T1 completely
Bike
  • 1h 14m 49s
  • 26 miles
  • 20.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really excited about doing this bike course as it suits my style of riding well. However, upon exiting the park, I noticed that I still did not have any energy and I could not accelerate when I wanted to get going. So, I started the gearing in an easier gear and brought my cadence up to 100rpm's and tried to just build up to speed. I was able to hold a 20 mph speed as I got around the first turn but just could not get out of the saddle and push a bigger gear. I could not figure out what was happening or why I felt so weak. It was like you feel when you are recovering from the flu. I could peddle and move but I could not push the pace. At mile 10 I was seriously considering quiting the race and going to the race doctors to see if I had something serious. I thought about this until I saw a major wreck and figured that the doctor would be busy and I didn't want to DNF my first race just because I didn't feel good. Besides, I wondered if I would not get any credit for the race in the 3 part series if I DNF'd. So, I kept going and tried to just work out of the feeling. I was so weak when I came into T2 that I couldn't get out of my shoes while riding so I just unclipped and ran in my bike shoes.

Put crack pipe adapter in Transition bag instead of in pump.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Quads cramped alittle when I bent over to put on my running shoes. Good transition otherwise.

Ride up to T2 with feet on top of shoes and jump of bike into T2.
Run
  • 1h 22m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was tired on the swim and bike but I was wasted on the run. I didn't even make it to the first 1 mile marker before I had to stop and walk a bit. I stopped to walk, not because I was out of breath or because my legs felt like bricks, but because I could barely pick my feet off the ground. I knew at that point that this would be a long 6 miles. Every time I tried to get going, I just didn't have the energy to pick-up my legs. I know it was hot, but I don't think the heat really effected me until between mile 3 and 4. By that time, I was already shuffling along at a brisk 12-13 minute mile:) I basically walked the whole 6 miles with occasional bouts of shuffling.

Run
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on a table and drank water and gatorade and ate 2-3 cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would love to know why I felt the way I did. Allergies? Cold/flu? Body still not recovered from crash at BSLT? Something else maybe?

Event comments:

I hope I am not going backwards at this point in the race year. This was a terrible experience for me from a performance standpoint. Jack's races are awesome and I can't say enough how much I enjoy doing any race that he is the RD for. I was especially impressed with the motorcycle guy on the run course going up and down the Damn asking people if they were alright because of the 102 degree weather. The water stop volunteers also were incredible, suffering through that heat in black shirts!
Hopefully, I either got my BAD race of the year out of the way or just had a bad day and will move on.

Last updated: 2006-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 82/416
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: Clockwise triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:49 | 26 miles | 20.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 162/416
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop, fairly flat and usually windy course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:22:36 | 06.2 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 393/416
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with a long stright section across a Damn in the open sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2006-07-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: #484686

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon
Sorry you had such a rough race. Doesn't it just suck when things are working like they usually do?

Sometimes, we have bad days... and there really isn't anything you can put your finger on. Maybe this was one of those days.

I will ask the following questions though:

1) How was your rest the night before?

2) For an Oly distance, do you always eat what you ate the morning of?

3) Are you use to riding/running in 102F degrees? Are you use to the humidity? I live in Dallas and was out riding Sat and Sun. Both very hot days. The heat and humidity can ZAP your energy... make you feel HEAVY. Hard to explain, but it sounds like you felt it.

Good job on finishing though.

Reminds me of what I saw on TV yesterday morning. It was about this triathlete...Karen ???... anyways, she was a champion, had won Kona and other Ironman's. So, she had some injuries and finally came back... and then on her race she couldn't run and had pain in her stomach. She figured she would quit because there was no way she was going to win (like she was use to). But she kept going, focusing on just being there competing and respecting the age groupers who would finishing in the dark. When it was over, she was just happy to have completed the race... to have beat her mental demons.

Edited by KSH 2006-07-17 11:18 AM
2006-07-17 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Sorry to hear it was such a rough race for you!  You weren't the only one that came out of the water thinking, 'wow, that's a lot slower than I was hoping'.  Having looked at the times of some of the better swimmers I know, I'm really wondering if one of the end bouys hadn't drifted out and the course become a bit long.  I know you say you didn't have much power on the swim or bike but those look like great times to me.  I wish I was always that 'powerless'.

That run really affected some people.  The air temp wasn't as hot as most thought (probably only in the lower-to-mid 90s); but many people didn't realize the humidity was 50-60%.  If you're not used to that, it can really sap your strength.  Travel  allergies could also have played a big part (I know it can wreak havoc when I go between Dallas and Houston.)

It sounds like this race was something of a fluke.  I wouldn't be too concerned that it signifies anything negative about your overall season.  Like you said, your bad race is now out of the way, so you be ready to rock the next one!

2006-07-17 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

Howdy, Ag!  I hate to hear you had such a bad race.  I certainly don't have the skins on the wall to be able to offer great advice, but it does sound more like a nutritional issue than anything else.  The weakness and sick feeling during the race, and hand-shaking that you're experiencing now might be an indication of a potassium or other mineral definciency.  Just my armchair nutritionist opinion.  Maybe eat some bananas?  Wink

Seriously, analyze your food intake in general, and the day before the race and race-day specifically, then make adjustments accordingly.  Otherwise, just put it behind you and forget about it.  There's no need worrying about something that's already happened.  You're a great triathlete with a huge drive to succeed.  Better days are ahead, Bro! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed