General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM shirt choice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-15 8:08 PM

User image

Subject: IM shirt choice
Well I just did my first HIM last week and I used a tri singlet (2 piece) and it worked pretty well since I was able to put it on before the swim and leave it on all day. Well it went well except I know my shoulders got more sun than I wanted. I'm doing the full Vineman in 6 weeks and I'm thinking of changing it up. I think I rather go with two shirts: normal bike jersey and a running shirt, both with shoulders. I know it doesn't look "cool" or have the triathlon guy look but I'm just picturing myself out in the sun for 10+ hours and I'm not thinking anything good will come from it. I applied sunscreen in my HIM (not enough though) and I got pretty fried. I think fuller shifts would help + keep me a little cooler since there's less of me exposed to the sun. Keeping me cooler should more than make up for the extra 1-2 minutes it takes to change into these. Any thoughts from people who've him full/IM distance tris before?

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-15 8:13 PM

2013-06-16 3:23 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: IM shirt choice

Originally posted by Blastman Well I just did my first HIM last week and I used a tri singlet (2 piece) and it worked pretty well since I was able to put it on before the swim and leave it on all day. Well it went well except I know my shoulders got more sun than I wanted. I'm doing the full Vineman in 6 weeks and I'm thinking of changing it up. I think I rather go with two shirts: normal bike jersey and a running shirt, both with shoulders. I know it doesn't look "cool" or have the triathlon guy look but I'm just picturing myself out in the sun for 10+ hours and I'm not thinking anything good will come from it. I applied sunscreen in my HIM (not enough though) and I got pretty fried. I think fuller shifts would help + keep me a little cooler since there's less of me exposed to the sun. Keeping me cooler should more than make up for the extra 1-2 minutes it takes to change into these. Any thoughts from people who've him full/IM distance tris before?

That is exactly how I race.  I wear a regular bike jersey thrown on in T1 for the bike.  Sometimes I leave the bike jersey on all day, but my last IM I switched to a running shirt.  Seriously, I doubt you even lose 1-2 minutes...and it's well worth not getting fried (IMHO).

2013-06-17 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Did IM Wisconsin in a regular bike jersey and worked great. It was a bit chilly in the morning so used arm warmers and took them off in t2. Used the pockets to hold random stuff.

I didnt get burned

2013-06-17 9:20 PM

User image

Pro
I've got a Pearl Izumi Octane Tri-suit that has sleeves... and is pretty spiffy.  
2013-06-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Salem
PEARL IZUMI ALSO CARRIES TRI SHIRTS WITH SLEEVES; HAS A COUPLE OF POCKETS IN THE BACK. THAT IS WHAT I THINK I AM GOING WITH ON THE RUN. THAT AND TRI SHORTS.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM shirt choice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Choice Help

Started by schmize
Views: 591 Posts: 4

2006-06-11 7:20 AM schmize

Am I screwed with my bike choice ???

Started by Zev
Views: 972 Posts: 5

2006-06-01 1:49 PM rbreddin75

Bike choice?

Started by KRCSWO
Views: 794 Posts: 6

2006-04-18 9:33 AM KRCSWO

Wetsuit of choice for Southern California OWS??

Started by boneyBP
Views: 518 Posts: 3

2005-09-24 12:19 PM boneyBP

Pedal choice for new Felt S32???

Started by smokeater1833
Views: 1140 Posts: 11

2005-07-19 9:32 AM danintx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.