United States
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 49m 24s
Overall Rank = 354/425
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15am. Felt good, well rested. Everything was packed so just had to fix bf of bagel,pb and jelly and banana for the car. Nice starbucks coffee too. My sis and father we're in town from Canada so it was nice to have them there.
Event warmup:

none really.. even though got there 1 hour before time flies fast in between transition set up , chip pick up , body marking etc. a little swim before the start
Swim
  • 44h 20m
  • 2112 yards
  • 2h 05m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was good for me. I've had problems in the past with anxiety from being hit,and bumping but it didn't faze me this time.Went off course a few times and it was hard to see with the sun but overall was good. No stopping and i admit it felt good to pass the different color waves that we're before me. It was hot in a full wetsuit, a sleeveless would have been nice.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to go off course-more sighting. Improve speed and technique.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

T1 was pretty good. I wore plugs in my ears for the swim and felt less woozy in T1 than my last triathlon so i think that helps. I decided to wear a bike jersey and different top for run because of the heat. So only wearing sport bra under wetsuit, jersey a little hard to put on but not bad. Practice T1 in my head a lot so that helps. Prettry smooth for me though a little slow

A bit faster without being frantic.
Bike
  • 3h 19m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was alright. I did the course before so i knew what to expect. It was really hot and felt it too early. Used water giving on the aid course to water my head.Passed a lot on flats, could maintain a good speed on the flat 20+ but fell back on the rollers so would get passed again. Overall good, did feel whipped from the heat. I got the nutrition and hydration perfect though.

Improve my average speed. Incorparate hills in my long rides. relax my shoulders too. My shoulders are hurting today!
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

was ok, had trouble getting the bike on. Just a bar for handlebars and somebody had theirs in my spot so had to move their bike to put mine on. Change shirt which was worth it for the heat.visor on.

not much
Run
  • 2h 39m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was steady but slow. The heat was hard to deal with. Very hard to keep cool. This is where I lost a lot of time; at least 2:00 per mile but overall feel pretty good about it because it was so hot.It was a survival run.The aid stations we're awesome, lots of them and they had sponges in icy water that saved my day.. I would take 2 and just keep wetting myself down until the next aid station.The only complain i have is that there is no porta potty anywhere on the run course. I walk the aid stations but kept running the rest of the course . A lot of people we're walking and struggling too so overall i'm happy with it. It didn't destroy me either so it actually gave me confidence to think about IMLP 07

This is a hard one because i know i can improve my time by running faster. I ran an OLY and maintain 9:00 miles and had a 12:00 mile ave in this one but the heat was a real factor. I guess practice more in the heat, more strenght.
Post race
Warm down:

my family was all there, father,sister, kids and husband so met up with them. got my hugs and went for the massage table, the food didn't looked real good( ziti,salad) so had a half-turkey sandwich, pretzels left over from their lunch. had a nice shower, change and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT!!!

Event comments:

A great race to do . Will do it again in 08. Planning IMLP 07 next year. Definitly would recommend it.

Last updated: 2006-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
44:20:00 | 2112 yards | 2h 05m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/26
Overall: 80/425
Performance: Good
Suit: full wet suit ironman
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:19:00 | 56 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/26
Overall: 0/425
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: flat with a few rolling hills, one hill with more significance but not that hard
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:39:24 | 13.1 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/26
Overall: 0/425
Performance: Below average
Course: flat with a few hills and one big hill
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Musselman Half -Iron Triathon

2006-07-17 11:51 AM
in reply to: #484757

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Musselman Half -Iron Triathon

Great job!  Heat takes it out of you for sure!

Kelly

2006-07-17 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Sorry - I don't know why it keeps double posting me...but I will just use this opportunity to say that I have trouble putting on shirts when I am wet...they always get bunched up around my back and I look like a crazed cat chasing its tail trying to get it on right. 

I haven't done a race yet where they give you little sponges with ice water.  That sounds lovely!

Kelly

Edited by Abear2 2006-07-17 11:54 AM
2006-07-17 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heh, well done Nathalie. Shaping up good for Lake Placid next year!

I must admit I was very glad that I wasn't doing the run yesterday. You did fantastic in that heat
2006-07-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #484821

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Congrats Yes the heat was tough I did an Oly and the run wore me  down. I was thankful it wasn't 13.  Great work and i'll see at LP next year!
2006-07-17 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks for all the encouragement. It was hard and now i feel really good about it, like i have more mental strenght than i thought. I am ready to register for IMLP 07.

2006-07-19 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
great race!! congrats! it was hot out there!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half -Iron Triathon Rss Feed