General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adult Swim Lessons Near Gilbert/Phoenix? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-16 12:15 PM

Subject: Adult Swim Lessons Near Gilbert/Phoenix?
Anyone know of any adult swim instruction classes near Gilbert or the Phoenix suburbs? I never learned to properly swim and am looking to learn soon so I can start training for a tri. I would be looking to learn proper freestyle technique and how to tread water (I sink like a boulder). The local YMCA offers classes but I wanted to see if anyone else had recommendations.

2013-06-16 2:12 PM
in reply to: deadpool7

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Adult Swim Lessons Near Gilbert/Phoenix?
Contact Anne Wilson at Camelback Coaching. They're in Scottsdale and Anne uses the pool at the JCC for classes. She taught me to swim in a few short lessons. She can be contacted at [email protected]. I highly recommend her. It's a bit of a drive from Gilbert but well worth the drive.
2013-06-17 9:41 AM

User image

New user
My son takes swim lessons on Tuesday nights at 6:30pm and at 7pm I have seen adults taking swim lessons after the kids are done at Aqua Safe on Gilbert and Ray Rd.
2013-06-17 10:38 PM

Thanks! I've sent both an email for more information. Not sure I'd want to drive to Scottsdale but it's at least worth checking out. Appreciate the recommendations.
2013-06-18 6:52 PM

So, Anne got back to me. I'm hesitant on the drive as it's even 45 minutes from my work. Pricing is quite high as well,but I can see value in it.

Aqua Safe doesn't have a deep section so I wouldn't learn to tread water. I also found out the Y doesn't have a deep end.

Any other suggestions?
2013-06-22 8:42 AM

I ended up joining the Y last night and got my first swim in(without lessons). Boy does my form suck, lol. I will be signing up for lessons with them soon. In the meantime I plan to go to practice some fundamentals like breathing. I've got a lot to learn but am looking forward to it. Thanks again for the recommendations everyone.

2013-06-23 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
It would probably still be a distance issue for you, but coach Frank Sole of Sole Swim Solutions helped my wife and I out tremendously in only four sessions. For reference, we were both recent self-taught swimmers and had horrible form. My wife and I called what we did "drowning avoidance" instead of swimming before we started with Frank. He is in Scottsdale, but my wife and I found it worthwhile to drive from Avomdale for our lessons. In fact, he did such great job he is now our Tri coach for IMAZ '13…our first IM. Good luck on you swimming. I thought I would never say this, but I now enjoy the swim workouts. Oh yeah, Frank has you swim in an endless pool, which is awesome!
2013-07-05 12:04 PM

User image

Chandler, AZ
EVO swim school has a Master's program. They have a facility in Queen Creek & Gilbert and also use Gilbert Jr High Pool for Masters.
2013-07-06 1:07 PM
in reply to: nanegan

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
I live 4 minutes away from the queen creek pool...do you know if EVO does any classes or anything at the QC location?
2013-07-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: PHXATC

User image

Chandler, AZ
Yes, they do. My son-in-law goes to their Master's Swim & has greatly improved his time. I believe he goes in the evening. It is also less expensive @ the QC pool. I wish I lived closer.
2013-07-09 8:40 PM

Thanks for the info, bit I just signed up for lessons at the Y. I start Saturday, so we'll see how things go. I've made steady progress on my own, but I've got work to do.

2013-07-13 1:50 PM

First lesson was this morning and was a success!

First thing the instructor noticed was that I had a weak kick (a nice way of saying no kick, lol). I had previously practiced back floating while kicking, not using my arms, and would actually move back towards the wall or remain in place (sad, I know). Since I had no kick, I would stroke, glide, halt, stroke glide, halt. So, essentially, all my kick did was waste my energy since it added nothing. So, practiced my kick and can actually propel myself now.

Instructor also noticed I was rolling too far on my sides, making myself off balance. Also was turning my head when I rolled so I was effectively zig zagging to an extent. Worked on that and got a better motion down which also helped my breathing by being able to better roll my head instead of bringing it out of the water. Worked on some other things as well, but those were the highlights.

Still plenty of work to do, but I made some great progress today.
2013-07-15 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Thanks!!
2013-09-04 12:50 PM

User image

Mesa, AZ
We swim out at Canyon Lake every Thursday at 6pm.

It is open to anyone.

Here is the info:

http://www.meetup.com/arizonatriathlonclub/events/138134832/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adult Swim Lessons Near Gilbert/Phoenix? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Instruction and workout offerring in Gilbert

Started by Aquaman3
Views: 1693 Posts: 15

2013-05-01 4:54 PM PHXATC

OWS near Phoenix

Started by wanderwoman11
Views: 2648 Posts: 11

2013-09-04 12:51 PM AzTriDoc

Best places near Tempe/Phoenix for Tri gear?

Started by Zero2Athlete
Views: 832 Posts: 4

2012-11-05 11:46 PM Zero2Athlete

Need a 50 mile ride near Gilbert/Mesa

Started by djake80
Views: 1304 Posts: 6

2012-05-30 12:11 PM spktm1

Summer Tris near (or in) Phoenix/Tempe Pages: 1 2

Started by Paulettejo
Views: 1887 Posts: 28

2007-07-28 6:05 PM sistinas
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : October 11, 2007
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : October 30, 2005
We are now going to move into “practices” that have a specific technique focus or two, but will contain more physically demanding workouts.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : March 13, 2005
author : malvey
Training for mature and older adults is the key to staying young.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.