United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 50m 42s
Overall Rank = 6/9
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up in the DARK in SUMMER and drove down to the site which was only 45 mins away. Really efficient and quick entry so got to set up transition etc in plenty of time.

There were only 9 of us doing aquabike (we went with the HIM waves in our own age groups)so not really relevant to post age group ranks etc but will compare with HIM.
Event warmup:

It was a waist deep swim start so I did a few strokes on way out to the start
Swim
  • 38m 56s
  • 1800 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was really excited about this cos it was my first OW race (and only my second swim in a lake). There weren't that many of us so I started near the front but to the side. The start was fine and not the mad splashing drowning fiesta you hear about in some starts (maybe cos it was girls!).
First part of the triangle seemed OK and I tried to get into my rhythm. Think I was fairly straight for this bit and tried to use other people when I breathed to the side as my sighting rather than looking up. Banged straight into the first buoy
Second leg was a bit wavier and for some reason I kept going off at all sorts of angles. Plenty of other swimmers though to keep an eye on. I managed to pass a few from earlier waves (older age groups had gone first).
Went round the last buoy wide and then headed into shore. This leg I tried to just use a couple of other swimmers going my pace as my sighting guide but I was very zig zaggy I think (else they were!)
Tried drafting but don't really know what it feels like and didn't feel any different when I got up behind people so kept to myself really.
Looking at whole musselman my swim would have put me 8/28 for my age group

What would you do differently?:

With hindsight I was very disappointed with my time - much slower than in a pool so guess I should just get out and practice more with sighting etc
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

a bit of a run from beach to transition. Kept telling myself I was doing this for fun so need to rush rush but it all went quite smoothly and I even remembered to take a few gulps of gatorade.

Nothing, all was quite smooth.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I had driven the course the day before and it all seemed pretty flat but was actually not as flat as it seemed in the car! Having said that there were no big hills, just gentle ups and downs and flat bits which meant it was just pedal pedal pedal the whole time.
The course was down side one lake across and up side of other lake, 1 loop and was very pretty. Against wind on way down (so I am told) and saw my average speed was only 15. Passed a few, was passed by a few (some that made me feel I was standing still!)
What surprised me was how fast my neck began to ache - I guess that was because of the swim sighting. After mile 40 everything ached, shoulders, back, neck, bum. Thank you to the volunteer at the last aid station that said "only 7 miles to go" that really helped. Began to feel a bit breathless about then too - think may have been nutrition. I was a late entry so hadn't practiced with Heed (on the course) so stuck with my gatorade (2 bottles of diluted stuff on bike) then went to water.
I ate half a clif bar at about 40 mins and half from about 1hr 40 to 2hrs

I would have been 20/28 for my age group in the HIM

I think I was at my endurance limit at the end and I don't think I could have gone faster. Was very glad I didn't have the run afterwards but don't think I would have gone slower if I did have it.

Oh and must practice getting off bike. I braked and tried to get off but wobbled enough to have a volunteer to dash towards me! I was fine but it clearly wasn't very elegant
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit. Tried to force some food in but quite honestly I felt pretty awful for about half an hour and just sat and lay down. Must be the stop in exercise cos I felt fine coming in on the bike and just getting off it.

I felt a bit of a fraud with the same colour band as the HIM but sitting around when even the winners weren't in! It didn't help that when I returned my chip to the score this tent (as instucted) he looked at me blankly and said "are you a dnf?"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness. I haven't trained for this length of race (that's why I didn't do the run) but as I want to do IM next year my trainer suggested I do this for the experience and just have fun so I am pleased with it overall.

Event comments:

Race was very efficient and organised.

At the moment I am in awe of those athletes that are fit enough to do the full HIM, let alone IM and am really looking forward to becoming fit enough to join them

Last updated: 2006-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:56 | 1800 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/9
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: anticlockwise triangle of 1.2 miles
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:08:10 | 56 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/9
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 1 loop of a beautiful course down side of Seneca lake, across and up side of Cayuga lake. Surface was mostly smooth but there were some rough bits that had been marked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Musselman - Aquabike

2006-07-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: #484773

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Musselman - Aquabike
Fantastic race! You've accomplished something that very few people in this world have done. You have so much to be proud of! I really admire your determination to finish this race. Great job!
2006-07-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: #484773

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Musselman - Aquabike
Looking good.  Congratulation.  You did great. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman - Aquabike Rss Feed