United States
Threshold Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 37s
Overall Rank = 87/303
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/35
Pre-race routine:

4th race already this season, so feel like the prep the night before gets easier and easier. Not as much stress trying to make sure I have everything anymore. Of course, just jinxed it, and next race will probably forget something. This was the first race I have done in a long while where I picked up my packet the day of the race. Felt a little odd not having my numbers before the race.
Event warmup:

None really to speak of. Most of it was walking back to my car to get my ID that I forgot I needed for packet pickup.
Swim
  • 31m 52s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very poor swim for me. A large part of it was the low visibility. Really didn't see the first buoy until I realized that I was way off course. Then rounding that buoy, couldn't see the second one, so ended up way wider than I should have been. I think I may have ended up making this closer to a HIM swim distance. Felt I swam ok, but the extra distance killed me. In other races this year, had sighted much better and swim times were improving. Today, not so much. Also, to be honest, haven't been swimming enough lately. That showed today.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better on day of swim, and swim more leading up to event.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Better transition for me. Let some water into my suit just as swim was ending, that made it easier perhaps to get it off calves/heels.

Continue to work on it. If I'm going to break 2:30, transitions might be an issue.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 7s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.24 km/hr
Comments:

Good bike for me. Had hoped to maybe go 1:10, but was still trying to set up a quality run. Hit the lap button on my watch about 15 minutes in so had to reset, but didn't have a time split then. Tried to go as hard as I could but still feel like I was going to be able to run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Good fast transition.
Run
  • 47m 38s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 47s  min/km
Comments:

Strong run for me. My open 10k PR was 48:xx, so to go 47;38 is excellent for me. Tried to go out reasonably hard, but then settle into a good pace. The four segments made a good way to measure out effort. Out strong, settle for next two, bring it home with all that was left for the last one.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my mom and oldest daughter, and had some water and a really good beer. Just walked around some and enjoyed the scene. It was a pretty solid race for me, and good to see everyone out enjoying a beautiful day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fog and not enough swim training. Had hoped to go 2:30, which would have required a 28 minute swim. I'm not sure I have that in me, but certainly don't when I swim all over the reservoir. When I checked results, saw I finished 11th in AG. With a half way decent swim, would have had my first top 10 finish. Not that it really means much, but sounds better than 11th!

Event comments:

This was a good race, but there were a couple of noticeable areas for improvement. With the course run set up, there was a water station at each turn around. That meant about every 1.5 miles. As it heated up after the fog burned off, would have been nice to have one more. They said that there was a water station on the bike. Never saw it, but didn't need it There weren't enough chairs in the finish area. Seemed like hardly any. But, overall, it was a good race. I like the racks they use for the bikes in this one. Lots of food at end, pizza, fruit, bagels, etc. and the beer was good.

Last updated: 2013-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:52 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/303
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Supposed to be straight out to a turn buoy, then back around the peninsula that sticks out into the reservoir. With the fog, couldn't see the buoy, so I think my actual course that I traveled didn't much match the straight out to the buoy part.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:07 | 40 kms | 33.24 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Fairly rolling course for first half. Climbs up to Willow Springs, then descends a technical descent. This is where there was a bad crash this year during woman's TT at the TOC. One other climb up Llagas, but then from there its pretty fast until the last little bump before the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:38 | 10 kms | 04m 47s  min/km
Course: Two loops of an out and back. Flat and fast. Changed the course this year and took out the only bump on it, so it was a course to run hard on. The outbound leg is slightly uphill, but just very slightly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-16 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: Reservoir Triathlon

2013-06-16 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4777915

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: Reservoir Triathlon
Nice job, Kyle! That's an excellent bike split for that course. Those climbs over Willow Springs and Llagas are tough, so you must have really hammered it on the flats. Great run too. The swim is always a wildcard, but you came out of it fine. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reservoir Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Reservoir Triathlon

Started by JHIMAZ
Views: 730 Posts: 1

2011-11-30 5:02 PM JHIMAZ

Reservoir Triathlon

Started by calimavs
Views: 1354 Posts: 3

2011-04-20 12:09 PM kmac1346

Reservoir Triathlon

Started by kmac1346
Views: 1189 Posts: 2

2011-04-19 9:44 PM The Trooper

Reservoir Triathlon

Started by The Trooper
Views: 1292 Posts: 3

2010-04-20 4:37 PM The Trooper

Reservoir Triathlon

Started by kmac1346
Views: 1257 Posts: 1

2010-04-19 3:21 PM kmac1346
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon