General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike comfort? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-16 6:05 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Tri bike comfort?
I currently have a Cervelo P3 that I bought last year. I have had it fitted, but am still having trouble riding for long distances. Any ride over 20 miles and I am miserable. I can go for 60+ on my road bike and feel great. Do I need to suck it up and keep pushing until I get used to it or is there a more comfortable tri bike out there. I am almost 42 years old and enjoy the sport, but find it hard to get motivated to train on the tri bike because of this problem. I am new to the sport, I did a couple of sprints last year and have done one this year so far. I want to train for the longer distances. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2013-06-16 6:13 PM
in reply to: twbewley

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Tri bike comfort?

Was it fitted by someone experienced with tri bike fits?  What discussion did you have with them at the time regarding your experience level, planned races, priority of comfort vs. aerodynamics, etc?

Where does it hurt?  Back?  Saddle?  Shoulders?  Somewhere else?

2013-06-16 6:15 PM

User image

Either your tri bike still doesn't fit right or you're trying to wear cycling shorts on a tri bike.

I would guess your bike still doesn't fit right. I've done more than a few 6 hour rides and I'm just beat, not painful.

I have found that tri shorts on a tri bike and bike shorts on a road bike are definitely the way to go.

2013-06-16 6:35 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by DanielG Either your tri bike still doesn't fit right or you're trying to wear cycling shorts on a tri bike. I would guess your bike still doesn't fit right. I've done more than a few 6 hour rides and I'm just beat, not painful. I have found that tri shorts on a tri bike and bike shorts on a road bike are definitely the way to go.

That's interesting, Daniel.  I've never heard that before.  I wear both on my two bikes, and personally, I haven't noticed a difference.  I'd be curious to hear if many other people have had the same experience.

2013-06-16 7:05 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by DanielG Either your tri bike still doesn't fit right or you're trying to wear cycling shorts on a tri bike. I would guess your bike still doesn't fit right. I've done more than a few 6 hour rides and I'm just beat, not painful. I have found that tri shorts on a tri bike and bike shorts on a road bike are definitely the way to go.

That's interesting, Daniel.  I've never heard that before.  I wear both on my two bikes, and personally, I haven't noticed a difference.  I'd be curious to hear if many other people have had the same experience.

X2. Just did a 4 hour hammerfest on my tri bike and wore a lovely pair of Rapha bibs. I don't notice any diff, aside from feeling a little 'breezy' on the undercarriage if it on the cool side between my tri shorts and full chamois shorts.

For the OP, can you be more specific? Saddle issues are common, especially if you have a decent size drop. And also simplyy putting pressure on area that have never had pressure on them. Many people are qiuck to jump on the 'your fit isn't right' wagon for every ache and pain. Your fit can be perfect, but your body just needs more time on the tri bike to adapt to all the different angles etc.
2013-06-16 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Ill second that. Too much padding getting bunched up and I've noticed that when I did wear bike shorts on my tri bike I'd start to get a bit of numbness. Tri shorts full time for this guy.

2013-06-16 7:29 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
That is a pretty aero aggressive bike. I have the P2 because the P3 was just a little too aggressive for me. When I got my fit I hated the bike the first ride. Of course it was a 72 mi ride and nowhere to turn back. Talked to my fitter and we lowered the seat back down a good inch. Worked perfectly. Amazing what an inch will do. I have gradually raised the seat about 15mm at a time where I am now back to the original fit. It's just the change was too much for me. I had to gradually work into it. It took about 4 months to get the seat back to the fitted position.

Maybe need to get a little less aggressive until you get used to it.
Good luck
Duane
2013-06-17 5:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Where is the discomfort coming from? Back, shoulders, arms, legs, little guys, feet, toes, ? My tri bike is downright luxurious to sit in for hours, same with my roadie. Lotsa variables here.
2013-06-17 7:32 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

New user

The worst discomfort is in the saddle. I have a Cobb saddle. It is also in my lower back.
2013-06-17 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'll second what others have stated.  Bike shorts are the devil to me on a tri bike.

2013-06-17 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by twbewley The worst discomfort is in the saddle. I have a Cobb saddle. It is also in my lower back.

Was the person that did your fit well versed in tri fittings and the Cobb saddles?

Try tilting the saddle down slightly and see how that works.  You don't want it tilted down so much that you start to slide off it because that will start putting too much pressure on your shoulders and neck as your upper body will then start supporting the weight.

2013-06-17 8:05 AM

Master
Northern IL
Just so you don't feel odd, I'm fine using the tri suit or bike shorts for either bike. Though it has been pretty exclusively tri bike riding the last couple years.
2013-06-17 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by twbewley

The worst discomfort is in the saddle. I have a Cobb saddle. It is also in my lower back.

Is there pain due to chafing or pressure point on your sensitive areas?
If it's the latter, it would suggest either the saddle could be tilted down slightly (like try 5mm max), or if there is still an issue, you might simply be in too aggressive a position on the bike. You could slide the saddle back and lower the seat post by a good cm for each and see if that helps a bit. You might well need a spacer up front as well after that. It's unlikely on a P3, which has a pretty long reach, that the bike is making you hunch your back, but we don't know from your original post whether the bike was bought to a fit, or the fit was done to the bike. Hopefully both - the bike was bought based on your measurements from a fit, and then a fine-tune fit was done to get you dialed in once it arrived. However, in your case, one or the other fit isn't very good, unfortunately. Do you have any pictures of you riding the bike we could see?

There is *some* period of adaptation necessary to get used to a tri position, but it shouldn't involve pain. After long rides of say 4 hours or more, my back is tired no matter which bike I'm riding, but so are my arms, legs, feet, etc.
2013-06-17 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I've been reasonably ok wearing bike shorts on the TT bike but definitely have trouble wearing tri shorts on the roadie...

My new Tarmac has a very hard saddle, whereas my previous roadie I could get away with tri shorts...

2013-06-17 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

I have used the cobb v flow and adamo saddles and say particularly with these special saddles, tri shorts work best for some reason (for me). I now use the Adamo Road on my tri bike and regardless of distance, wear tri shorts full time. I did not like the bigger chamois bunching up and causing blisters where I never had them before.
2013-06-17 8:39 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
twbewley---I ride a tri bike exclusively. IMO, I would have a hard time riding both a tri bike one day and a road bike the next day. I have my tri bike set up very aggressive and it is so comfortable that the bike leg is my favorite event and I am 63yrs old. I would suggest:
1. riding your tri bike only (if your focus is tri),
2. riding every other day (to heal between rides)
3. do several rides after each saddle/clothing/bar change to allow your body to adjust to each change.
4. accurately record each adjustment (like saddle tilt angle, saddle nose to elbow pad, saddle height, saddle forward/aft, etc.)
Hope this helps

2013-06-17 8:59 PM
in reply to: spearit

User image

New user

Thanks everyone for all the good advise. I rode today for an hour with my tri gear and it did feel better. I still am having numbness. I think tilting the saddle a bit will help. It still feels like it is pushing my balls up in me!! The guy who did my fit is a tri guy who came highly recommended. He is a full time coach and competitor. He also used Retul.
Thanks again.
2013-06-18 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
get an ISM Adamo.. Lets your boys hang
2013-06-18 12:18 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks everyone for all the good advise. I rode today for an hour with my tri gear and it did feel better. I still am having numbness. I think tilting the saddle a bit will help. It still feels like it is pushing my balls up in me!! The guy who did my fit is a tri guy who came highly recommended. He is a full time coach and competitor. He also used Retul.
Thanks again.

I bought a tri bike in March and the decision came down to a P2 or P3. Due to my measurements, I chose to go with the P2 because it fit me better. The P3 has a more aggressive geometry that can cause discomfort if you're measurables aren't right or if you're not flexible enough.

The dude who fit me also used Retul and he showed me specific data points explaining why the P3 was not a good option. Hopefully your guy walked you through this as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike comfort? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Comfort Road vs. Tri BIke

Started by nickster
Views: 652 Posts: 3

2012-07-22 10:03 AM DanielG

Given the choice: comfort biking vs more running

Started by k_hase
Views: 1149 Posts: 9

2008-04-25 6:32 PM rkreuser

Bike seat comfort

Started by SweetK
Views: 2116 Posts: 21

2006-10-18 10:27 PM chile7473

Bike comfort

Started by brenteritou
Views: 742 Posts: 5

2005-07-06 7:22 AM brenteritou

comfort road vs comfort tri bike

Started by KathyG
Views: 1391 Posts: 7

2004-10-04 5:07 PM runnrboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.