General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Francis Health Center Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Francis Health Center Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Ultramax Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 58s
Overall Rank = 10/326
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Topeka at my parents. Didn't sleep well at all, maybe a few hours. Woke up at 5:00am, had some gatorade and a banana, couldn't stomach oatmeal. Got to Lake Shawnee at 6:00am and set up my stuff.
Event warmup:

Went for a quick ride to get my gearing set, and maybe 3 miles. Was going to do a run, but didn't have time. Transition closed at 7:15, and I just got out before then. I ran down to the water to struggle getting on my wetsuit, didn't have time to do a warm up swim.
Swim
  • 06m 27s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was weird. We lined up on the beach, but went out at an angle. I was about 6th along the water in single file, but I should have just lined up directly behind the first person.

When the gun went off, I dove into the water, but probably went out too far away from the beach, as I had to swim to the right to get on some people's feet. Lots of contact till the first buoy. I didn't find a groove until the first half was over. I think I was 5th or 6th out of the water in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Line up closer to the front. My effort was good, but I think that would have helped my times a bit. I was happy with my effort in the water, though.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

16th overall, despite having the furthest rack from the entry. Struggled a bit with the new aero helmet and getting the wetsuit off, but I thought the wetsuit came off faster then previous races.

This was also my first race leaving my shoes clipped in and had no problems mounting my bike with them in. Probably saved me 10 seconds.

Nothing, other than keep practicing.
Bike
  • 36m
  • 13 miles
  • 21.31 mile/hr
Comments:

First time racing with the P2 and had a blast hammering this course. I was going to ride purely based on HR, starting out in low z4 and pushing to high z4 after 10 minutes, but that didn't happen. High z4-low z5 the entire time! I felt great, and passed 4 people and a truck. This was my first race I've never been passed on the bike. The course itself was pretty flat. I just concentrated on keeping my head tucked and as aero as possible.

I rolled into T2 5 seconds behind the second place racer after chasing him down the last few miles.

Maybe lay up a bit early on, but I was definitely taking a chance and pushed the entire bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

7th overall. Slipped my feet out of my shoes prior to dismounting, and had no issues. I think I will continue with this in future races (although I will just wait for the day I screw up and drop a shoe or something). Had to rerack my bike because it was hanging funny and I didn't want my new carbon baby ending up on the pavement....

again, keep practicing. It was pretty smooth though. Maybe run faster?
Run
  • 23m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty spent after the bike, but I knew I was in at least 2nd position in my AG. I began on the course and tried to keep a higher cadence. After a half a mile, I still wasn't hitting the pace I knew I was usually capable of doing. My legs just weren't turning over quick enough. I was also heating up like crazy. It was so humid, and I was really starting to overheat.

At the turn, I saw the 2 in front of me who were both in the 20-24 AG, which meant I was in the lead! Unfortunately, as I began to head back, there was a group of 3 guys about 30 seconds behind me that were in my AG and hauling ass. I started to freak out a bit, and thought of Chris Lieto losing his Kona races during the run. I just tried to focus on my leg turn over and not how effn hot it was.

I really gave it my all on the way in. My abs were cramping, which made taking a full breath impossible. As I turned to head down the finishing chute, I tried to kick it up a notch to give it everything I had. There was one guy right on my ass, about 15 seconds behind and closing. I was about to turn down the finish chute with nothing left in the tank, and was told I had to make a small loop around transition to the other side of the chute! I almost stopped and quit, and was certain I would be passed for 2nd place, but it never happened!

I held on, barely, and crossed the line for my first AG win by 12 seconds. The second place guy was nice and congratulated me, and said he was gunning for me, but just couldn't catch me.

Lose some weight, my run training has taken a back seat since I got the Cervelo,so get that going again, and try to cool myself off a bit before the end of the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Uh nothing. Try not to pass out, grabbed a few waters and dumped them over me. And I got interviewed by a Topeka news station and half of what I said was misquoted...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight, my run fitness and speed, and my ability to deal with the humidity. Other than that, nothing. It's so crazy how my bike has changed from my Achilles Heel to now a weapon. I'm so excited for the rest of the year and will be training my ass off the rest of the summer!!!

Event comments:

This was my second time at the Tinman, but the 33rd overall race. They did great and everything was on time and organized, other than the awards ceremony that was a bit late. Also, just pizza to eat after (no fruit or sports drinks). I will definitely be back as this race as its my hometown race and my family comes! Ultramax does great races!

Last updated: 2013-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:27 | 437 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 12/326
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU T2 Full sleeve
Course: Triangular counter clockwise course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:00 | 13 miles | 21.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 10/326
Performance: Good
HIgh z4-5 THE ENTIRE TIME
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly out and back, with a few miles tacked onto it
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 29/326
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back with some surprisingly hill segments. Constantly up and down, until the final stretch
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-16 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: St. Francis Health Center Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course

2013-06-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4778035

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: St. Francis Health Center Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course
Good race. Congrats on your age group win!
2013-06-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Thanks, I was also contemplating switching to the long course and was glad I didn't with the humidity. That 5k was long enough...
2013-06-18 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4778035

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Nice race Mark, it was good to meet you before the race. I agree with the swim start assessment, hope they start doing something to clean that up a bit. Congrats on the hardware.
2013-06-19 7:37 PM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Sweet AG victory Mark. I love the sprints where you can hammer the bike then hold on for dear life on the run, don't you?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Francis Health Center Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Francis Health Center Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course

Started by tstuba
Views: 896 Posts: 1

2013-06-16 2:51 PM tstuba

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Short Course

Started by mikec123
Views: 1495 Posts: 1

2008-06-14 7:11 PM mikec123

Started by run_carmen
Views: 1951 Posts: 6

2008-06-16 8:02 AM Slahmmer

Started by lisac957
Views: 2109 Posts: 8

2007-06-23 3:18 PM sf_biggestloser

Started by mattmull
Views: 1452 Posts: 1

2007-02-27 11:39 AM mattmull
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.