General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hammonton, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 21s
Overall Rank = 144/181
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Packed everything up the night before to be fully ready to go in the morning. Up at 4:30am, made the standard pre-race smoothie of Pom, banana and peaches, drank half myself, with the other half to TSW. Also had half a bagel spread with peanut butter. TSW running a little late (she just had to fold that laundry!!), so we got off about 6am, landed at the race site around 7. Didn't give me a lot of time to pick up the packet and then set up transition. But I found a nice spot with a lot of room in the middle of the area and got it all set up. Only thing I forgot to do was take my gel before the swim and put one on the bike to take about halfway in.
Event warmup:

Got into the water to swim around a bit, get used to the temperature. Was warmer than the air, but still cold.
Swim
  • 13m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Poor swim for me...couldn't keep my breathing normal at all. I would swear I wasn't holding my breath but maybe I was. Cold water temperature didn't help either, as it promoted some gasping on my part. Actually walked for part of the swim because it was so shallow. Probably helped my time!! Was swimming in near proximity to a guy that was really struggling, holding onto all the buoys and a canoe for a bit, and called for help on a number of occasions. For the last 75 yards or so me and a couple of ladies from the following wave hung with him, giving him advice (lay back, dude!) and encouragement until he was able to stand up. Saw later he had a pretty good race; glad he was able to continue. Given all of that, I'm shocked my time came in at around 13 minutes, I'd have figured closer to 15. I'm also shaking my head that a guy who held onto most of buoys and at least one canoe, and struggled to stay afloat still managed a swim time comparable to mine...that right there is the perfect illustration of my swimming ability.
What would you do differently?:

Tired of trying to answer this question. Couldn't tell you. No longer have an answer.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Transition time seems long. My Garmin indicated less than two minutes but also indicated swim was longer than what race results reflected. Wondering if they made an adjustment to the swim times and T1 times to more closely reflect "time in water", because the official swim time is very close to what I saw on the Garmin when I exited the water.

Walked once I actually got into the area in order to get breathing under control. Running or jogging would've made this faster. Guess that means I shouldn't burn so many matches on the swim. So - cruel irony - we're back to the dang swim!
Bike
  • 43m 49s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like a decent bike ride. Kept it under control and didn't push too hard. Felt great on the way out, like I was hardly working at all and making good time. About halfway to the turn I wondered if I wasn't going to pay for this after turning around. Sure enough, the wind was in our face almost the whole way back...really slowed me down.

Not displeased overall, though, as I felt I managed a pretty even effort throughout. As seems to be typical with the Quarc on the Guru, the power readings made no sense at all, running around 100w or s little less on the way out, higher on the way back with the wind, but nowhere near what it's been reading on the trainer over the last several weeks. Rather than try to get up to what I'd consider "normal", I just went with it, trying to keep it even-keeled.

Time would've been better if I hadn't dropped the chain moving from big to small ring as we hit the AC Expressway overpass on the way back. Got it back on quick enough but probably lost a minute or so overall dealing with it and getting back up to speed. But, well, stuff happens and you deal with it.

Nothing, I don't think. Pleased with effort overall and what it left me for the run afterwards.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

131 overall.

Seemed a little long. Would've thought faster. I was pretty economical, I thought.
Run
  • 28m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run, considering I've not been able to train as effectively as I'd have preferred with with "real life" getting in the way over the last several weeks. Plus, with the ankle injury back in February, I've not been able to build up to much more than 40-45 minutes at most. So to break 29 minutes on the run, essentially meeting what I'd hoped my race pace to be after the first two legs, I'm pretty pleased.

Wasn't completely spent afterwards so maybe could've pushed a little harder toward the end. But again, pleased overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and walked to the food spread for a "guilt free" donut!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Noting new here: the swim. Plus a little lost time on the bike because of the chain issue. I'd hoped to beat 1:30 as an outside goal but figured I'd be closer to 1:32, 1:33. To end up just 21 seconds over the stretch goal was cool.

Event comments:

One of the few DQ races I'd not done before, mainly because it's held on Memorial Day weekend and we've always headed to MD beforehand. Had signed up for a Piranha race on 6/2, but work-related travel requirements for both TSW and me pushed us to this one. Good race, I'd absolutely do it again.

Last updated: 2013-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:10 | 440 yards | 02m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 175/181
Performance: Below average
Suit: Synergy full
Course: Straight out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:49 | 12.7 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Overall: 115/181
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out from the lake area to a turnaround at the Atlantic Blueberry Company and back. Tailwind and some crosswinds on the way out. Strong headwinds and gusts on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:42 | 03 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 150/181
Performance: Good
Course: Out from transition, around a baseball field, out to the main road and into a quiet, tree-lined neighborhood, and back. Flat for almost all of it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-17 11:01 AM

Subject: Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon

Started by colesdad
Views: 1780 Posts: 5

2008-05-28 9:21 AM PSUguru

Started by saltydog7mile
Views: 625 Posts: 1

2007-09-04 10:21 PM saltydog7mile

Started by BrianO
Views: 1141 Posts: 2

2007-05-31 7:35 PM carisima

Started by kofian
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2007-05-29 1:11 PM kofian

Started by dare2trimom
Views: 1349 Posts: 4

2006-05-31 9:30 AM maxmattmick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?