Other Resources My Cup of Joe » B/c 3-legged dogs ROCK! Help us win! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-17 11:56 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: B/c 3-legged dogs ROCK! Help us win!
Who likes elderly, three-legged dogs? Doesn't EVERYONE???? I mean, really...who doesn't?

In a shameless attempt to buy your votes with cute dogginess...we need your (virtual) support! Your vote can help Sam be a cover model for Sidewalk Dog for July--it's celebrating seniors month, and he's OBVIOUSLY the most pawesome dog there is :p To help him out go to the link below and vote for his photo (hint: he's the three-legged one!): https://www.facebook.com/SidewalkDog?sk=app_477948252227620&app_data...

I don't normally enter contests like this, nor do I ask for votes... but July is a big month for us: we mark Sam's 13th birthday, AND it will be his 5 month "ampuversary". There are a lot of senior dogs out there, but Sampson is one in a million (<---although I MAY be slightly biased).

Osteosarcoma is an aggressive cancer. And becoming three-legged poses its own set of challenges for any dog, let alone an elderly one who already has dysplasia and arthritis. But if it's supposed to be a depressing death sentence, no one seems to have told Sam. He continues to hop along, chasing rabbits, sneaking into the cat boxes, playing with his canine sister and four feline siblings, rolling in (any kind of , but raccoon and deer are both particularly delightful), and digging holes to sit in as he soaks up the sun.

So yeah, vote for us!

As promised, photos of doggy cuteness:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited by mmrocker13 2013-06-17 11:58 AM

2013-06-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: B/c 3-legged dogs ROCK! Help us win!
2013-06-17 3:17 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Dang it--can't vote because I don't have a FB account.  I remember when you were debating the surgery--maybe "debating" isn't the right word, but it was a couple of days before, and I think I remember you being hopeful to get a few months.  Look at you!!!  5 months :)  Yay!  And your boy is quite handsome, and certainly pawesome.
2013-06-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Beautiful dog! Ill look it up when I get home and can get on FB.
2013-06-17 4:23 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Originally posted by switch

Dang it--can't vote because I don't have a FB account.  I remember when you were debating the surgery--maybe "debating" isn't the right word, but it was a couple of days before, and I think I remember you being hopeful to get a few months.  Look at you!!!  5 months   Yay!  And your boy is quite handsome, and certainly pawesome.

Well, we haven't gotten to five yet--that's in July :-)

But we're almost to four already, and he continues to be in good spirits and to enjoy his life. He's definitely a daily reminder that there's no sense in regretting anything, and to simply enjoy the wonderfulness that is today :-)
2013-06-18 11:07 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Shamelessly bumping this... we are tied for second, and fewer than 10 votes behind the overall leader. We'd love your support!

2013-06-18 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Just hijacked my husband's account and voted for you guys:)

Pulling for many more months for your special guy.

2013-06-18 5:06 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Voted!

I was at Petpalooza this year (as you can guess, a big festival about pets) volunteering at the Guide Dog puppy raiser booth. I saw 2 little dogs "ride" by on a set of wheels, having had 2 legs amputated. They were happy as can be and just rolling along on the grass field, like it was no big deal.

It's amazing what we could learn from dogs. Do you get fed? Do you have people you love around? Can you get around, even if  it's only with some adjustments? Then what else in life is there?!?! Laughing

2013-06-19 9:40 AM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Thank you for the vote! We have until tomorrow at noon, and are fighting it out in second so every vote helps!!

I am a long-time supporter of Rolling Dog Farm (formerly rolling Dog ranch), and if the residents there don't make you realize how little animals care about all the things we get our panties in a wad over, I don't know what will. :D

The beautiful thing about them is they are all about the "what is", not the "what if." They don't regret the things they can't do, they simply revel in the ones they can.

I wouldn't say that Sampson's cancer was a good thing, obviously, but it has really reminded me of that idea--the living in the moment and focusing on the possible, something I think we forget, unfortunately, far too often. And I think it has allowed him to show a lot of folks who maybe have never seen a disabled animal before that just because life is DIFFERENT now, doesn't mean it's over. <3
2013-06-19 8:20 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: Bumping! Still time to vote!
Hi all...

Just an update--we're still in second place! You can absolutely vote again, if it has been 24 hours since your last vote...so if you've already voted and want to vote again tonight or tomorrow, go nuts!! And if you haven't voted but want to...we'd be super appreciative!!

Thank you ALL!

megan and sampson
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » B/c 3-legged dogs ROCK! Help us win! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

3-legged dog update!

Started by mmrocker13
Views: 975 Posts: 9

2013-04-04 9:42 PM SpottedCow

Who WILL win the 2008 US Presidential election?

Started by dontracy
Views: 740 Posts: 13

2007-10-23 7:21 PM marmadaddy

Dog vs Bike.......Dog sorta wins.

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 742 Posts: 8

2007-07-19 7:25 AM BellinghamSpence

walking 2-legged dog!!

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 527 Posts: 4

2006-04-21 4:29 PM Tania

Help me help Carly win! Pages: 1 2

Started by kimj81
Views: 1525 Posts: 30

2006-01-17 10:33 AM tmwelshy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.
date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : September 5, 2006
author : TriathlonRadio
In this episode we talk to gocorey from the BT.com forums. He talks about High School training and some amazing wins.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).