General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading the bike! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-17 12:23 PM

Subject: Upgrading the bike!
Ok so I have a cheap 300 quid bike with some decent pedals, some shorty tri bars and a cycle computer, during training I can hold 20.5mph on my 30mile runs without a prob and yesterday I took part in a duathlon and held 3rd place in the first run but lost it on the bike leg and was unable to make it up on the second run and finished 5th, I averaged 21.6 mph which is awesome for me but the guys who passed me were on full carbon etc

So now I'm thinking how can I improve? Is it unrealistic to try and achieve say 25mph avg with the equipment I have?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a proper tri bike at the end of the year ....

Thought please?

2013-06-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: Longhorn1981

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Upgrading the bike!
Train a lot. That's going to be the only way to get to 25mph average.

as far as upgrades go... a disc cover is a cheap and effective way to add some "free speed."
2013-06-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: Longhorn1981

User image

Pro

Sounds like you are a pretty good cyclist if you're holding those speeds.  if your question is "can I buy more speed", the answer is YES. Although less weight is nice, for triathlon/duathlon, it pales in comparison to aerodynamics.  So- think about aero more than weight.  And, the really sexy aero things, like top notch TT frames and expensive aero wheels, while fun to own, give you some of the poorest "bang for the buck".  What really matters is fit and body position.  And, and aero helmet will also make a pretty significant cost effective difference.

In the end, after you spend a couple grand on a fitting and fancy carbon, and then train on it to get your body used to the new position and bike, it could buy you 1.5 to 2mph.

so... how much money to you have burning a hole in your pocket?    Have fun shopping.  Bikes are really fun toys and there is some great engineering out there these days.  Whatever you buy, you'll probably love.

2013-06-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: morey000

x2 to morey000's answer. You don't say anything about your background......age, training habits, how long doing tri's......and your budget, so it's really hard to give you a definitive answer. But generally, speaking, you can't possibly maximize your potential on your current equipment/bike. I averaged around 21-22 when I first started competing and now in the 26-27+ range for Olympic distance. But that's with a new top of the line tri-bike, a proper fit, upgraded wheels, aero helmet, and another year of training. If you want to get serious about a potential overall podium finish, this is a sport where hard training along with top level equipment is a must. Good luck with the upcoming bike purchase.
2013-06-17 4:49 PM
in reply to: gphin305

Originally posted by gphin305

x2 to morey000's answer. You don't say anything about your background......age, training habits, how long doing tri's......and your budget, so it's really hard to give you a definitive answer. But generally, speaking, you can't possibly maximize your potential on your current equipment/bike. I averaged around 21-22 when I first started competing and now in the 26-27+ range for Olympic distance. But that's with a new top of the line tri-bike, a proper fit, upgraded wheels, aero helmet, and another year of training. If you want to get serious about a potential overall podium finish, this is a sport where hard training along with top level equipment is a must. Good luck with the upcoming bike purchase.

Cheers all for the input, I am 32 yrs old and have only started sprint tris this year, I started cycling last April and migrated to triathlon during the winter as I spent time in the pool as I couldn't swim so good.

I would like to think by the end of the year I could push 21mph avg whilst training, then hopefully if/when I upgrade at least I should see a difference as I will have maximised my fitness on the current bike.

Cheers
2013-06-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: gphin305

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by gphin305

That's some pretty elite/pro caliber bike times!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading the bike! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Upgrade/ new bike on a budget?

Started by DLR1
Views: 597 Posts: 2

2010-12-10 10:25 AM mgalanter

Upgrade my bike or buy a new one?

Started by Grnfsh
Views: 966 Posts: 10

2010-01-06 2:52 PM Cardholic

Tri Bike or Upgrade Road Bike?

Started by highenuff
Views: 895 Posts: 4

2009-08-11 9:56 PM ranger5oh

What to upgrade on bike

Started by rjd04
Views: 1393 Posts: 24

2008-01-19 3:47 PM Big Sexy

Upgrading my Bike

Started by iwantotri
Views: 972 Posts: 9

2007-09-04 2:56 PM ranger5oh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.