HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 22s
Overall Rank = 141/185
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Typical pre-race routine: wake up as absolutely late as possible and still make the race location in time to get set up and fight my way into my wetsuit. :P
Event warmup:

A quick couple of small out and back laps in the lake, lots of chatting with my fellow competitors.
Swim
  • 29m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I literally got run over at the beginning. I figured since I planned to be one of the first ones out of the water, I'd get ahead of the melee... WRONG! Those chicas burst out of the gate like their wetsuits were on fire. So ridiculous because I passed a good chunk of them on the 2nd lap.
What would you do differently?:

Start further towards the outside so I could avoid as many of the "fast starters" as possible.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I had a cramp starting in my left calf as I finished the swim and had to walk most of the way into T1, and was a little more careful taking off the wetsuit so as not to have it turn into a full-blown, mind-bending cramp like I tend to get. All was good, and the calf didn't bother me at all the rest of the race, so I guess the extra minute that cost me was worth it in the long run.

Nothing really. Wish I could have avoided walking, but better that then a huge cramp.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 14s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I just can't say enough about how much the wind affected the bike leg. My backside really hurt on the second lap, not sure if pedaling into the wind for so long affected my pedal stroke and therefore my position on the saddle, but by the end, I was really uncomfortable. Also, with about a mile or two left, I felt a twinge in my right groin. As I pulled into T2, I wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to finish the run. In any case, given the conditions, I'm happy as a clam with 18.1 mph on the bike!

Nothing. It was a pretty good bike for me despite the wind. Mental effort was good, each time my speed dropped due to the wind, I forced myself to kick it up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Not much to T1. Toss the bike on the rack, off with the helmet, off with the cycling shoes, on with the running shoes and off you go. Visor gets slapped on, on the go and that's that!

Nothing, this was a good T2, even though it probably cost me a few seconds to hobble my way out of the gate due to the sore leg.
Run
  • 1h 03m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

As I started the run, my groin was really uncomfortable, but by about 1/2 mile in, everything had loosened up. On the flip side, the sun had cleared all the clouds by then and was really baking down. It got REALLY hot and after the brutal bike ride, I started to run out of steam about 4.5 miles in. I walked a couple of times (only for about 10 steps each), but was unhappy about that after the race was over. I doubt it affected my time much at all, but there's definitely room for improvement. The run continues to be my worst sport, and the bane of my triathlon existence.

I would have put my nose to the grindstone and run (even if slowly) the whole time. I REALLY wanted to be sub-60, oh well.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt like Forest Gump at the end of the race. My boyfriend greets me at the finish and asks me how I feel and I all could say is, "I gotta pee." I walked around quite a bit to try and get loose, because my groin had started to tighten up the instant I stopped running. Also did some stretching, and walked around some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather conditions and athletic conditioning. Need to run, run, and run some more!

Event comments:

15-minute delay on the start time due to storms that had rolled through the area early that morning. They only had two drink stations on the course, so four total opportunities for refreshment over a 6.2 mile course. Would have been nice to have one more.

Last updated: 2013-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/185
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit & CTC 2-piece tri kit
Course: Small man-made inland lake (oddly enough about 100 feet from Lake Erie). Two loops for the OLY distance. It was CRAZY windy and even on the little inland lake it created some small waves.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:14 | 24.85 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Did I mention it was WINDY?! Gusts up to 24 mph and it gusted nearly the whole time. It was a rectangular course, so we had cross-winds on two sides and a headwind going out. Which left only 1/4 of the course with a tail wind - brutal ride. Double-loop course on blessedly flat, country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:10 | 06.21 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Course: Flat asphalt trail that snakes through the park. Out and back course, without too much shade (boooo!).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-17 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: Maumee Bay Olympic Triathlon

2013-06-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4779162

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Olympic Triathlon
Awesome race!!  All your hard work is paying off!!  I'd be a happy camper to do an OLY run in just over a 10 minute mile!!  And when you said "wind" on your bike, I assumed you meant tailwind since you had some super speed, watch out world if it really IS a tailwind!!  Good swim too other than those that tried to take you out before you even made it to the water!  You broke 3 hours and that is an accomplishment, so GO Michelle!!!
2013-06-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4779162

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Congratulations on your race!!  Nice job!
2013-06-19 6:21 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
This looks like a nice balanced race. Each portion looks well paced. Congratulations on a great OLY!
2013-06-28 8:48 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Great race report!!! You did a great job in each sport. I am very impressed with your run! I was bragging about your bike time to one of the (fairly fit) guys at work who bikes he was impressed with that 18+MPH. You go girl!!! Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by Alix
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2011-06-20 5:39 PM Alix

Started by newbz
Views: 1813 Posts: 2

2010-08-05 5:28 PM ransick

Started by rottieguy
Views: 1256 Posts: 1

2010-06-25 6:40 PM rottieguy

Started by frogomatic
Views: 1363 Posts: 2

2010-06-21 1:54 PM bananatoes

Started by bananatoes
Views: 1376 Posts: 3

2010-06-21 1:48 PM twinklebug
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
comments : 0
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.