2013-06-19 12:26 PM
in reply to: dace

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Thinking of quiting
I haven't been online as much.

My first triathlon experience was amazing, and I've been hooked since 2005.

Are you confident you can safely complete the swim?
How close will you be bumping up to cutoffs (official or unofficial)?

You are responsible for your safety in the water. Yes, there are probably lifeguards, but I wouldn't bet my life on them being available and attentive the instant that I'd need them. That is one reason to quit.

As long as you can reasonably complete the course in the alotted times, go ahead and do it. It doesn't matter whether you are last. The race director has arranged for lifeguards to be in the water for a certain amount of time and for the roads to be closed/monitored for a certain amount of time and for volunteers to be at the aid stations, transition, and finish area for a certain amount of time. If you *KNOW* you cannot complete the course in the alotted time (and you can ask the race director if it isn't posted), you can decide whether to risk being pulled, chance a finish, or not start that part of the race.

Psychologically, it's hard to show up if you expect to be "singled out" as slow/old/?? but how would the sport be perceived if the only people who showed up were kona-qualifying athletes? (I got news for you...I wouldn't be participating either if that were the expectation.) Being last isn't a reason to quit (IMO).

If you don't enjoy how you spend your free time, you should choose different activities. That'd be the a reason to quit. If that is your choice, I wish you well, but I get the feeling you're not looking for us to validate that choice.

Go enjoy the day. Show up, race, smile, thank every volunteer you meet that day (and your race sherpa), and be open to new experiences and perspective. When I race, my career isn't on the line, nor is my house. My family still loves me whether I'm 5th or 500th as long as I don't take my frustrations out on them.

2013-06-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Gold member

If you have the distances in the pool, then long as you can resort to an 'easy' stroke (sidestroke, breast), you should be fine.  My first experience with a wetsuit (on race day!) was abysmal.   It was a terrible swim - tight across my shoulders, too warm.  If I got through 100 yards of freestyle I was lucky.  If the water isn't that cold, try the swim without it.  Another thing that helps me if I am uncomfortable is to count out strokes...15 sidestroke (or breast), 5 freestyle, repeat.  Eventually you will find your rhythm and get your breathing under control.

You can do it....from a guy who is nearly always last out of the water.

2013-06-20 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Thanks everyone.
I have worked hard. I spent time in the gym getting in shape to begin my training, though the two months of actual training wasn't long enough. Proud that I did 8-9 workouts/week, though missed the last, longest run - the 3.2 mile one that would let me know I can do the distance. I did up to 2.6 pretty well (on a treadmill). I am starting to feel like I can do this. I really want it - just afraid of not being able to do it. I did the trial swim, it just wasn't pretty (lots of stopping to tread water to figure out where I was) but I didn't have to be hauled out of the water.

I guess now is not the time to question why I also signed up for an oly at the end of Aug! Again just giving myself two months - got to write that down as a bad idea for next year, though I doubt I'll forget.
One thing at a time - I'm going to do the positive thinking thing, plus get in a mile run tomorrow and short bike ride to remind myself that I know how. Will shoot for two more pool swims focusing on sighting.

Love all you guys/gals

You signed up for these because they challenge you to keep training. What's the point of training if you're not going to race at some point. I just started doing tri last year. Did 3 sprints last year and 2 Olys this year so far. My first tri last year - I was dead last. Now the swim wasn't my problem. I have difficulty with the bike because I am just not fast enough, and I can be cautious because I don't want to crash. But I haven't let it stop me.

I see lots of people struggle with the swim. They hang on the sides of the kayaks. They flip on their backs. You CAN do this. Don't let negative thoughts drag you down. Just get the first one under your belt.
2013-06-20 6:27 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by MuscleMomma I went to an excellent orientation tonight for the sprint next week. It included swimming the course. First time using my wetsuit, first time in open water, salt water to boot. (must confess to surviving a sprint about 5 yrs ago, but that was in a lake and no wetsuit). When asked who was doing their first tri, most hands went up - but you'd never know it by how they all took off in the water. I got left behind. A very nice person swam along side me giving me encouragement. Big problem was sighting, not surprising. Would stop, tread water, feel exhausted, correct my direction, swim another 7-8 strokes. Clearly I'm not a swimmer, but have been doing my pool workouts. Honestly, I don't feel like my time in the pool made any difference - I still can't swim. I have a decision to make about going through with the race. I'm thinking of returning the used wetsuit and seeing if they will just charge me a rental fee. I will be the last out of the lake. Thinking of asking the kids to not come watch me, don't want them to see that. I'm really afraid of floundering during the swim. There were a few older men, but I must have been the oldest woman there by 15 years. Who am I kidding? Now those who do quit aren't on the website, so I'm going to get skewed feedback here, but who has been glad to have hung in there. Mitzi

Let your kids see you are afraid and still go through with it.....THAT'S a lesson for your children to learn.  That's the best part of life....being scared, being afraid, and still moving forward.  In fact....if you don't do those things that scare you, how will you even know you are alive?

"Quit?  Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  HELL NO!"

Finish what you started.....make your kids proud!

Very well said. Great lesson for the kids.

And great Animal House reference.

Musclemomma, don't quit. You absolutely won't regret doing it, you may very well regret not doing it. Just remember, DFL > DNF >> DNS.
2013-06-21 1:26 AM
in reply to: vomer

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
I'm not about to say anything anyone hasn't said but if you don't do it for you, do it for your kids. The last thing they will be thinking about is "mom came in last". They will be so proud of you they will be saying 'mom you are awesome--I can't believe you did that". You will motivate your kids to do things in the future they never dreamed they could do----maybe even a triathlon. And your whole family will cry with you at the finish line---there is no greater feeling.
2013-06-21 5:06 AM

User image

"Who am I kidding"? I too have had a self defeating voice I have let over rule the positive "I CAN do that!" voice. All I can add is VISUALIZE , VISUALIZE, VISUALIZE! Literally picture yourself floating above the water in your wetsuit and with each stroke you take swimming like Michael Phelps. If you need the Kayaks are there to grasp.....gather yourself... and swim off from! Counting strokes helps me 1...2 ...3..4, head up.... sight....1.....2....3 etc..
VISUALIZE yourself coming across the finish line wet, tired and fully satisfied that finished the goal you set for yourself and think of the AWESOME model you will have provided for your children!! Honestly the feeling you have for YOURSELF will trump ANY feelings you are having now! This may seem "DR Philish" but Truly works...Can't wait for your race report Mitzi!!
Joy

2013-06-24 9:42 AM

User image

I think I speak for everyone when I say, "did you do it?"

Unless you already posted it and then I'm just a dope.
2013-06-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I want to go back and read everyone's post.

I'm in your exact shoes, sometime I want to quit and other times I want to do an IM event. I'm 51 btw and when I started at age 50 I could not swim across the 25 yard pool. I've taken lessons and here in town it is extremely hard to find someone to give lessons and find a place to swim, so not getting a lot of swim time unless you want to share lanes with people that can swim like a fish and that is really embarassing for me, getting lapped all the time, them doing flip turns etc etc., so I know our feelings.

Well my 1st open water experience was last October. It was a practice OWS for the upcoming Tri. I DNF'd the swim. I was so embarassed I took my bike and left, did not finish the training. Well, I went to another open water swim practice (Our tri group is GREAT). I at least finished that swim.

During the race I finished it, it was hard and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it but I did. I gave the race director who also put on the swim clinics a high 5 coming out of the water. After the swim it is all fun. By me being so incredibly slow on the swim, I get to pass lots of people on the bike and run. For me, my race starts when I get out of the water.

I still do not have the nerve to sign up for an Oly distance but maybe 1 day! Yes I keep thinking maybe I should go back to the gym, so yes I understand.
2013-06-24 10:49 AM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by MLPFS

I think I speak for everyone when I say, "did you do it?"

Unless you already posted it and then I'm just a dope.

Me too. Only because we care.
2013-06-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hello all!

Well, I did it, but it was a mixed bag.

Did have family there, they wanted to be there for me and while I tend to be a loner when it comes to sports I have to say that having hubby there with logistics was wonderful.

Relate to KWDreamun - sometimes want to quit, sometimes want to do an IM (or at least a HIM)

Just a quick post for now - finished the swim, doing freestyle throughout. Overall, swim felt slow but good, bike felt great, lost it on run. Though feelings are deceptive - amazingly slow in swim and on bike

But yes, I am very happy that I did it. Will come back because I need your support and advice going forward.

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-06-25 7:39 AM
2013-06-25 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Congrates and Good for you well done.

2013-06-25 7:49 AM

User image

That is fantastic!  Congrats and good show!
2013-06-25 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Good for you! I'm very happy that you decided to do it.

Great results in this sport take years to develop (with a few exceptions)! You took the first step and now have the experience to do it again. =)
2013-06-25 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
No matter what time you finished in, it is faster than your time would have been if you had quit. Congrats on the finish and conquering the OWS portion. I'm very glad you are happy to that you followed through!

Now, sign up for the next one so you can see improvement!
2013-06-25 10:16 AM

User image

Nice work!
2013-06-25 11:24 AM

User image

Hello all!

Did have family there, they wanted to be there for me and while I tend to be a loner when it comes to sports I have to say that having hubby there with logistics was wonderful.

Relate to KWDreamun - sometimes want to quit, sometimes want to do an IM (or at least a HIM)

Just a quick post for now - finished the swim, doing freestyle throughout. Overall, swim felt slow but good, bike felt great, lost it on run. Though feelings are deceptive - amazingly slow in swim and on bike

But yes, I am very happy that I did it. Will come back because I need your support and advice going forward.

Have been thinking about you and your race...
Great job!!!

2013-06-25 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Morton IL

Hello all!

Nice! Congrats! I bet you were not the last out of the water.... I just started this year and have done 3 tris. Each of them have had many people that couldnt freestyle the whole time and/or had to stop and rest before continueing on. First goal is always to get across the finish line, which you did. Great job!!!!
2013-06-25 5:24 PM

User image

New user
Yay!! Congratulations!
2013-06-25 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
So very pleased to hear you finished it and survived. There is a learning curve that takes a bit of time to get over so don't worry about your performance. I was disappointed with my 1st Sprint until I sat down and analyzed what I did right and what I could do better. Two weeks later I did a second Sprint and knocked 9 minutes off my time just for making minor changes and with no greater fitness. I only regret I didn't do a third event last year as well.

You can only get faster from here. I hope you'll write even a brief race report.
2013-06-25 6:19 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Congratulations!! I was in your mentor group before work and going back to school took over my life. I saw this thread title and who posted it and was very sad. I am glad to see you had so much positive support and that you completed your first tri! I completed my first one on June 2nd, no longer a Clydesdale Thanks for encouraging me in the beginning, I'm glad to see you did it.
2013-06-25 6:25 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks everyone - now I've got to ignore the soreness and get back to training. I want to do so much more than just survive!

2013-06-25 7:23 PM

User image

NE Ohio
Great job... congrats!!!
2013-06-26 8:31 AM
in reply to: jeetkevdo

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Great job!!! I am so glad you went ahead and did your race!! Smile

2013-06-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
So happy that you stuck it out and finished, great stuff. Your family must be so proud of you, and you've got a ton of support here at BT too Triathlon is not an easy sport, but that's part of the attraction for me, pushing myself to do things that my body isn't either designed for (i.e., in my case endurance running), or really doesn't want to do (I have a real love/hate thing going with running). I'm just racing for myself and "the moment". Oh, and I'm also racing against my previous 250+ lb self.

Every triathlon is different, and I always try to fondly remember the good moments, and learn from the bad moments at each and every event. Trust me, the more you train and learn, the simpler if becomes. And no, it may never be easy, but that's what makes it fun

Congratulations again.
2013-07-05 6:56 AM
in reply to: wartho

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Glad to read that you did it!! Yeah!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of quiting Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS