United States
80?F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 09m 23s
Overall Rank = 7/600+
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke up extra early that way I knew we would get there with plenty of time. Had the majority of everything already loaded up just had to put the bike on the vehicle and go for the most part. Ate a bagel with Nutella on it and then we woke the kid up and headed out! Got there about 7-10 minutes before they had opened the gates to the park and there were already two lines of cars on either side of the road waiting to get in. We got in and got an awesome parking spot right next to transition. Got my transition all set up pretty quickly and then it was a waiting/talking to other people time.
Event warmup:

Got in about 200 yards of a warm up swim in. Felt pretty decent but the water was very dirty. Otherwise once that was done we had a pre-race meeting and things kinda took off from there.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

They did the elite guys first. There were only two so they got a two minute head start from all of us. Then after the first guys went they would send off two more every 3 seconds. It worked out alright I think. Once in the water I got caught behind a slower swimmer ahead of me and every time I would try to pass it seemed someone behind me had gotten fed up with him as well and was passing the both of us. Got kicked in the face and such. I did not enjoy this swim that much. I ended up passing him after the turnaround buoy and got going at a better speed then. Came out of the water and ran up the hill to transition!
What would you do differently?:

Eh. Couple things. I was worked up to start with because this is the biggest tri I had done to date so far plus the level of competition here was big as well. Think I was just hyped up to much. Would have helped not getting stuck behind the slower guys as well but it wouldn't be challenging if you didn't :P
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

It was a pretty long run from the water edge to my bike rack. I had an excellent transition spot though which made it super easy to find my bike. Put my helmet on as I was trying to move my wetsuit down with my legs at the same time. Need to practice it just a little more to get better at it but overall I think it went pretty well.

Not much I could have done. It started raining around this time as well :P
Bike
  • 39m 31s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't go as fast as I wanted to. I wanted to average 23 at least and was a tad over that with a mile to go. I think I took my shoes out to early coming back in because I slipped a couple times with them out and that cost me some time. Otherwise the ride went alright I guess. The wind was doing some crazy things out there coupled with the wet roads and rain made it a tough ride I think for us guys who were out there early. A lot of the other people who came later didn't have to deal with the rain it seemed as it quit about the time we were getting done. I passed a couple people and was passed by two other guys during the bike. The bike is my worst discipline and it seems to be slowly getting better as the training days go by.

Not much. Don't take my feet out of shoes as early! I did a HIM 6 days before this event and I think my legs were still not 100% recovered from it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I think this went pretty well. Had to take an extra second to figure out right exactly where my spot was at haha. Everyone has black bags it seems! I got the bike on the rack and was able to get my socks on pretty quick considering they were all wet and the shoes were wet! Thank you baby powder! Once they were on it was grab the number belt and start running!

Nothing. The wet pavement and running downhill to my spot was a little sketchy but I think it all went very well indeed!
Run
  • 19m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

It had gotten muggy out! The first hill right out of transition sucked! It was in the grass and everything was wet so it was tough running up it. I knew there were a couple guys behind me right off the start because I could hear them. Put on some speed and I pulled away from them. After about a mile into it though I could see a guy behind me that was slowly chipping away at me. There was another guy ahead of me that I was catching but with only 2 more miles to go I knew there was no way that would happen in time. I pushed it about as hard as I could during this run I think. I went sub 20 again and was really happy considering this run was hilly to start with. The guy behind me got pretty close towards the end but I finished strong and was probably 4-5 seconds before he crossed. Should have pushed harder though because he was in my AG and beat me by 2 seconds overall!!!! Oh well. That's the way it works it seems. He and I talked for a minute or two and went about our ways! This was an awesome event.

Not much I could have done. Left it all out there I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked with other club members as they would finish. Did some light stretching but that was about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing a HIM 6 days before this :P Otherwise I think that's about it. I felt pretty decent going into this race but my biking legs were still not 100% I think.

Event comments:

This was a very well run race. It seems to be one of the premier sprint races in the Midwest if not the nation. It pulls in people from all over the US and there is a ton of talented athletes that show up as well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 600 meters | 01m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 6/600+
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra sleevless volt
Course: Simple out and around a big yellow floating bouy and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:31 | 15 miles | 22.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/37
Overall: 27/600+
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Closed course! Thank you to all the cops/volunteers that helped to make this a closed course. It was an out and back course with two decent hills on the main road. God decided it needed to start raining good once we got on the bike so it because very wet pretty quick.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:39 | 03.1 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/37
Overall: 12/600+
Performance: Good
Course: Run through grass, wood chips, hills!, gravel through the park and then out onto a road and loop around a big John Deere tractor. This was Not a flat course at all!. The first mile or 1.5 miles was kinda hilly!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-18 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Quad Cities Triathlon

Started by JungleDoc
Views: 1670 Posts: 3

2006-06-18 9:51 AM triman50

Quad Cities Triathlon

Started by Ozmokis
Views: 1058 Posts: 3

2005-06-22 10:06 AM Ozmokis

Quad Cities Triathlon

Started by triman50
Views: 1247 Posts: 6

2005-06-22 8:19 AM pkingfl

Quad Cities Triathlon

Started by CLLinIA
Views: 1399 Posts: 5

2005-06-18 8:12 PM triman50

Quad Cities Triathlon

Started by triman50
Views: 1258 Posts: 6

2004-06-14 11:06 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?