General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake in the Hills Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake In The Hills, Illinois
United States
Lake in the Hills Parks & Recreation Dept.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 45s
Overall Rank = 89/308
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/31
Pre-race routine:

Up around 4:30. Car was packed night before. Hung out in kitchen and ate a muffin and drank some water. Used the bathroom and hopped in the car for the short drive to Costco for parking. It's about a mile bike to T2 to get marked, set up T2, then another short ride to T1. Set up there, got my chip and hung out until my swim start time.
Event warmup:

Just the short bike rides to the transition areas. This is my 4th year of doing the race so I don't really get that nervous any more. This year was a time trial swim start. I was wondering if it would go smoothly or be a Charlie Foxtrot.
Swim
  • 12m 1s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am becoming a swimmer! Really have worked on this over the last 4 years and now open water swims are nothing to me. I navigate well, do not get distressed by the crowds and just pound them out. This year we started 2 at a time every 10 seconds. Worked out well and was super organized. Numeric order and I was bib 220. Swam through a lot of the earlier starters and popped out of the water in no time.
What would you do differently?:

Could have hustled a little bit to the timing mat to break 12:00, otherwise, nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I am so much better at transitions these days. This one always takes just a bit more time since you have to stuff your wet suit into a bag for transport to T2.

Be like others and just dump my wet suit on the ground and let the volunteers clean up. But I am not a douchebag.
Bike
  • 46m 32s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Boo. I was really expecting to break 45 minutes on the bike. Last year I was 45:33. Worked hard this off season so I am not sure where I lost time. Felt strong on the bike and was pushing the flats and downhills. There was a slight headwind from the west. Maybe that slowed me down?

Work harder on my short intervals in the off season. I am pointing towards Racine in July and have been more concerned with doing endurance and SS rides.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Happy to break a minute on this

Nothing. I had a good spot and with a small race, the transition area is not large.
Run
  • 33m 20s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run for me. I have been working on my runs and it shows. I can comfortably hold 8:30 pace or lower for up to 8 miles these days. I should have pushed this a bit more.

Set my watch to show 8:00 pace and see if I can hold on.
Post race
Warm down:

Wow, was I sweating. It was starting to get hot and humid, so after chip removal, found my wife and headed towards the food tents. Drank water and ate trail mix, then more Gatorade and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I figured I would be between 1:30 and 1:35, but closer to 1:32. Need to work on the bike, at least going hard. I had some left in the tank after the bike and run.

Event comments:

My local race. Trudy Wakeman does a phenomenal job putting on this race. Always organized with plenty of volunteers. It's a good race since it is just a bit longer than a regular sprint.

Last updated: 2013-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:01 | 880 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 57/308
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Rectangle. Swim to other shore of lake then turn left, down backside, left again to swim out.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:32 | 15.5 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 88/308
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out into the countryside. Couple of small hills and a sharp turnaround out on Conley Road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:20 | 04 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 132/308
Course: Run through the neighborhoods surrounding the park. Finish on the bike path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-18 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Lake in the Hills Triathlon

2013-06-18 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4779628

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake in the Hills Triathlon

I agree, Trudy does a fantastic job and as for your day - great job on the race!   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake In The Hills Triathlon

Started by newattri
Views: 1695 Posts: 1

2008-07-19 4:07 PM newattri

Started by mr2tony
Views: 1800 Posts: 4

2007-07-20 2:04 PM schmize

Started by daviddclough
Views: 1635 Posts: 1

2007-07-17 12:50 PM daviddclough

Lake in the Hills Triathlon

Started by bryans0626
Views: 751 Posts: 1

2007-07-16 9:04 AM bryans0626

Started by Rowdy
Views: 1986 Posts: 7

2007-07-19 5:37 PM marymosc13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.