Epic Sports
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 18s
Overall Rank = 2/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a Powerbar about 1hr 15 min before the race, had a Gatorade Pre 5 minutes before start. About a 50 minute drive to the race, very relaxed atmosphere for check in and set up.
Event warmup:

Ran around the parking lot about 20 minutes before the start, probably only ran for 5 minutes or so. Then there was a pre-race meeting, then ran for a few more minutes before the start.
Run
  • 20m 57s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a tough run because I wasn't sure how hard to go. Women's field was small, one woman went out front right away, then after 1/2 mile another went out and I couldn't keep up with her. Three of us ran together most of the way, and I was really tired even before the first mile! Course was nice, mostly hard-packed sand, though there were a few tree roots and soft sand spots to watch out for. Humidity was 88 - 100%, depending on which weather app we used.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, went as expected.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Took too long in transition because was messing with my Garmin--had trouble getting it off my wrist and onto the bike mount because I was so sweaty. Ended up hitting the lap button a couple of times inadvertently so it thought I was on my second run. Running through grass/sand to get to mount area was slow but okay.

Use a towel to get the Garmin onto the bike mount so it didn't slip around.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 9s
  • 40 kms
  • 36.88 km/hr
Comments:

Since I didn't have the Garmin on the bike setting, had no idea how fast I was going, so I went by feel. Normally I do not get passed by women on the bike, but two did pass me and they were really fast. I need to figure out how to not lose as much speed on turnarounds. I don't think I could have gone much faster and still had a good run, but I didn't push it to my limits.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Fairly quick transition, though I only got one foot out of my shoe before dismounting because I didn't realize the transition was coming up so fast.
Run
  • 41m 49s
  • 5.6 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Managed to run negative splits. Was doubting at first that I could catch any of the women in front of me, because I was pretty tired and it was so humid. Didn't think I was gaining ground on the first loop, but then on the second loop was able to fairly quickly close in on one of them, then mentally got a little stronger because as this was the 3rd time on this loop I knew where I was and what to expect. Passed the 2nd place woman with less than a mile to go and was able to hold her off. Mentally (and physically) challenging because I knew I had to pass with authority and pick up the pace, even though I was really exhausted!

Nothing, did what I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little bit, drank quite a bit of cold water, orange slice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humidity

Last updated: 2013-06-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:57 | 02.8 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Shaded course on mostly hard-packed sand roads, though there were some soft spots and a little bit of pavement.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:05:09 | 40 kms | 36.88 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course that had quite a few small out-and-back turnarounds. Pancake flat, a little bit of wind but nothing horrible. Sprinkled a little bit halfway through, but otherwise was nicely overcast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:49 | 05.6 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Course: Two loops of the same course run on the first run segment.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-18 10:20 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Moss Park Father's Day Duathlon

2013-06-19 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4779776

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Moss Park Father's Day Duathlon
Congrats! great work!
2013-06-20 4:06 AM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Moss Park Father's Day Duathlon

Great race Becky!!  Picking up the pace on the second lap of the run and making the pass for 2nd shows how strong your running is!

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moss Park Father's Day Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Father's Day Triathlon/Duathlon, Kids Mini-Tri, &

Started by mchally
Views: 1761 Posts: 2

2008-06-17 6:35 PM skavoovie

Father's Day Triathlon/Duathlon, Kids Mini-Tri, &

Started by skavoovie
Views: 1364 Posts: 4

2008-06-17 2:31 AM skavoovie

Father's Day 5M

Started by DannyCapp
Views: 1007 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 4:47 PM KSH

Father's Day 5/10k

Started by akustix
Views: 1340 Posts: 3

2006-06-25 2:04 PM dlugiwarriors

Father's Day Race

Started by jjweav
Views: 1085 Posts: 3

2006-06-19 8:10 PM PTinVA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Michael
comments : 4
Do you celebrate Father's Day just once a year? Stop and take a little time to think about the other 364 days that could be Father’s Day for you.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!