A Change of Pace
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 1s
Overall Rank = 116/411
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 27/63
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5AM to get a reasonable spot at T1/T2. no eat, no drink. i didn't want to have any stomach issues. little did i know.
Event warmup:

looking for a spot of sun to stay warm. up at donner lake (6100') it's pretty cold before the sun comes up.
Swim
  • 25m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

i expected to be a bit faster. last year, i swam without ever having done any drills or speedwork and did 25:45. the amount of work i put into style improvement wasn't worth it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

ok. i'll never be a speed demon at transitions and don't plan on becoming one.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

i've realized that if you want to do well in a hilly Oly you've got to hammer up the hills, not spin. all the fast people were out of the seat.

although i beat my time vs last year by about 3 min i expected more, since i came up 5 days ahead of the race and pre-rode the course 3 times. oh well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Run
  • 55m 14s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

this was the killer. my guts decided after mile 3 that this was a good time to get rid of what i couldn't pre-race NOW. i hate nothing more than running with the cheeks pinched together. that retty much took care of the race. i was 5 min slower than last year and had expected to be at least 5 min faster.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. shit happens.
Post race
Event comments:

good race, well organized, but hard. not only are you at 6000' elevation, but the bike course it tough! it takes you up to 7200', then down to 5800', then back up again. it's technical, too.

all in all i have found that Olys are really not my cup of tea. i'm made for long distance. plus, i don't like the competitive nature of the short races - the jockeying for position during the bike segment, the pile-ups during the transition - no more!

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/411
Performance: Average
Suit: full Ironman Instinct
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:51 | 24.85 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: up Donner Pass, down to Kingsvale and back. about 2600' elevation gain on the course. the descent back to Donner Lake is pretty wild. it's a turny road - i topped 44 mph and STILL got passed simultaneously both on the left and right. some people take this too seriously.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:14 | 06.5 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: around Donner Lake, mostly along road (not ON the road - they don't stop the traffic) a bit on dirt. one vicious hill in the middle of the course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 2:02 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Subject: Donner Lake Triathlon

2006-07-17 2:33 PM
in reply to: #485046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Donner Lake Triathlon

Good race.  So does this mean you're going to do your hills on the pedals next year? or just say "legs better saved for run"? 

As for the run symptoms. Ugh.  And I can So sympathize.  I was eyeing the underbrush trying to decide if I'd make it the the finish line, or if I was going to have to make an emergency pit stop.  There's no telling how the gut is going to react to extreme conditions. 

All in all... you should be totally proud of yourself and your race.

2006-07-17 3:43 PM
in reply to: #485127

User image

no, i'm saying that i won't do any Olys anymore.

i've realized that i don't enjoy 'placing'. i want to have challenges where the outcome is either 'finished' or 'not finished'.

i don't enjoy races where somebody screams at me "let me pass, ******!" because i dared stay on the left of a little too long. that kind of thing would NEVER happen on an IM distance race.

getting the runs doesn't matter much in an event you don't know you can complete. if that's a given it's about how fast you complete. and the measuring stick are your fellow racers.

when i had my flats on the Vineman, lots of people stopped and offered help. during an Oly, nobody stops.
2006-07-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #485247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

awol - 2006-07-17 12:43 PM i want to have challenges where the outcome is either 'finished' or 'not finished'. i don't enjoy races where somebody screams at me "let me pass, ******!" because i dared stay on the left of a little too long. that kind of thing would NEVER happen on an IM distance race.

"Well, now he knows..."  obscure Douglas Adams reference.

Sorry about the jerk competitors.  They obviously think they are too cool for sprint distance, but don't have the legs for IM yet, so they are being turds on the course.  Who needs 'em.  Go out there, train for your extreme off road runs and your IM races and leave them in the dust. 

2006-07-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: #485323

User image

oh, i WAS a turd on that particular course. i was an obstacle for someone who wanted to do his best and i don't blame him. not one bit.

i don't hold a grudge against anything or anybody. i'm just not cut out for short distances. i don't look down on it - the Donner Lake Oly is every bit as hard as an Ironman. it just takes a different person.

and again - Mrs Guerita- you've broken the barrier. do you realize that there's nothing but improvement in your future? you cannot fall back.
2006-07-17 5:08 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
sounds like a very challenging course. my swim training this year ended in april when my pool closed (and i slacked on the other options) and i had a mojito that night before my last race AND - fastest swim yet. go figure. it does suck when you put in time and training and don't see it in a race...but then races are so different from training. i love your attitude of challenge versus placing. that's awesome.

2006-07-17 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Hello Mr. awol.

Interesting angle. Interesting thoughts.... am mulling them over in my head...

Congratulations on a race well done. I know it's not what you were expecting or what you hoped for, but we do learn the most from our unsuccessful ventures.

As for your whole gastro-intestinal issue... Been there! Had to pop a squat in a wooded area during my Half Marathon in March... Awful! But you're right.... **** happens.

Smile, you grouchy old bastard.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzz

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Donner Lake Triathlon Rss Feed