General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Age Group National Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-18 6:41 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: USAT Age Group National Championships

Got this email today:

Congratulations Conor Hassard. You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 10 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the TRI FOR OUR VETERANS - IN MEMORY OF MATT MCCULLEY

Registration will open on February 1, 2013. To register, look for a special VIP email invitation with the registration link to hit your inbox in the next 24 hours. This event has sold out in each of the past three years and is expected to sell out again in 2013, so be sure to claim your spot on the starting line early. 

The USA Triathlon Olympic Distance National Championship is the nation’s premier amateur Olympic-distance event with top athletes from all 50 states forming one of the most prestigious age-group fields in the sport. A select few athletes from each age group will also qualify to represent Team USA at the 2014 International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships. ITU has announced that the 2014 World Championships will be held in Edmonton, Canada. Details will be added to the Team USA website as ITU makes announcements. 

For more information on the 2013 USA Triathlon Olympic Distance National Championship, please visit www.USATNationalEvents.org. Please note: Athletes must be current USA Triathlon annual members through August 10, 2013, in order to register. You may register or renew your membership at www.usatriathlon.org

USA Triathlon annual members should CLICK HERE now to take advantage of exclusive sponsor discounts when making travel arrangements for Milwaukee. The host hotel is the Hilton Milwaukee City Center Hotel. PSA exclusively manages USA Triathlon-owned National Championship housing needs and can offer the best rate for the USA Triathlon room block. Once the room block has been filled, athletes looking to reserve other rooms at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center Hotel can use a 15% sponsor discount through USA Triathlon and Hilton. 

I'm 856 miles away from Milwaukee, WI. Because of that, my parents already told me I'm not going.

Anyway, one question: is it a race worth going to? I don't know much about it, this is my first year of triathlons.  Was just wondering if in the near future I qualified again, would it be a race worth the trip and expenses? Or is it not that big of a deal and a lot of people qualify anyway?

2013-06-18 7:46 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championships
I see you are in Del co. Im in Lehigh county to the north of you. Im going to be making the 856 mile trek by myself. Its my first year qualifying and I figured it would be a cool race. I know they are having the race again next year in WI, but after that I bet the race heads west or south and wont be back east for a good while. This is probably the farthest I would contemplate traveling for this race. If it was any farther away I probably would not be going.
2013-06-18 7:50 PM
in reply to: Live2ski

User image

Delco, PA

Originally posted by Live2ski I see you are in Del co. Im in Lehigh county to the north of you. Im going to be making the 856 mile trek by myself. Its my first year qualifying and I figured it would be a cool race. I know they are having the race again next year in WI, but after that I bet the race heads west or south and wont be back east for a good while. This is probably the farthest I would contemplate traveling for this race. If it was any farther away I probably would not be going.

Driving or taking a plane and transporting bike through service?

The problem I have is that I'm too damn young (16) to convince my parents to let me drive there alone. It's my first year qualifying, as well.  I did two triathlons last summer just to try the sport out and have fun, but this year took it seriously and have placed highly in a couple races.

2013-06-18 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Way out here in CA, mom of a 17 y/o, waiting for the official invite - his qualifying race was Sunday - hoping to make the trip!
2013-06-18 9:01 PM

Moot point, I'm guessing its already well oversold at this point.

2013-06-18 10:13 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
At 5:30 PT, it had 8 slots left, and was looking to open up a waiting list.  Still hope for those of us waiting on a RD!!

2013-06-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Seattle

To the OP, I guess it all depends on how you define "worth it."

Competing against the best triathletes in the country, vying for a spot to rep team USA seems pretty worth it to me.

Even just the opportunity to compete against a very strong field seems pretty worth it, no matter how you finish.

2013-06-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Yes, I got one referencing the oly distance last year and this year....despite not having done an oly distance since 2010.  Very odd.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-06-19 11:21 AM
2013-06-19 11:23 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by noelle1230 Yes, I got one referencing the oly distance last year and this year....despite not having done an oly distance since 2010.  Very odd.

You don't have to have done an OLY. You can qual with a Sprint 

2013-06-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Delco, PA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by noelle1230 Yes, I got one referencing the oly distance last year and this year....despite not having done an oly distance since 2010.  Very odd.

I also qualified for the Olympic through a sprint. Why wouldn't we qualify for the sprint AG Championships instead?
2013-06-19 11:37 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

That's what made it really weird getting one in early 2012 referencing the 2011 race year having done no triathlons at all in 2011.

2013-06-19 11:50 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by C_Hassard

I also qualified for the Olympic through a sprint. Why wouldn't we qualify for the sprint AG Championships instead?

The sprint is actually an open race, as in anyone can sign up for it. The organization of things hasn't always made the most sense, but sounds like they might be picking it up within the past year.

Not sure if it came up, but the race isn't always in Milwaukee. It's there this year & next, then will move. Guesses are more out West as it was East just before.

2013-06-19 6:23 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
OP, you have a PM.
2013-06-19 8:50 PM
in reply to: Live2ski

User image

Miami
I got the same email a couple of weeks ago after finishing my last sprint race that I was doing as part of my HIM training. I will be in Spain on August 10th, otherwise I would have tried my best to be there. Who knows when I would have that opportunity again, so if you can, go for it!!
2013-06-20 4:41 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by davidfedez
Who knows when I would have that opportunity again, so if you can, go for it!!

This is how I feel about it and why I'm going this year. I certainly can't count on qualifying every year and I also can't count on the location being more convenient even if I do, so I'm in. I'll feel like an impostor the whole time, but I plan to enjoy every minute of it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Age Group National Championships Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group Nationals qual question Pages: 1 2

Started by nikon
Views: 2794 Posts: 35

2012-01-08 8:55 PM Skippy74

2008 Age Group National Championship

Started by maubueno
Views: 784 Posts: 2

2008-09-21 10:51 AM rzzqb8

2008 Age Group National Championships qualification

Started by aquaholical
Views: 1451 Posts: 8

2008-06-03 7:40 PM aquaholical

USAT Age Group Nationals

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1398 Posts: 10

2007-08-06 10:58 PM MForger18

2007 USAT age group nationals?

Started by xterratri
Views: 1368 Posts: 5

2006-11-09 5:20 PM markdills38
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.