General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-18 8:30 PM

User image

Subject: Travel
Hi All,

I am doing IMLP this year and unfortunately for work now i have to travel 3 weeks before it to Phoenix for a week. I was just wondering what kind of options in terms of biking and running areas are in downtown or what I should be looking at in order to keep my training high. I will be bringing my bike with me so i dont need to rental or anything but just can't imagine biking in downtown is good. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thanks!

2013-06-19 11:37 AM
in reply to: TeamAndyBU

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Travel
Actually, if you're right in downtown PHX you can hit up the towers at South Mountain pretty easily. Seventh Street south all the way to Dobbins then a block west to Central and you'll run right into it. You can spin down San Juan and then climb the towers. For a longer ride you could also head down to Broadway, east to South Pointe Parkway and spin through Awahtukee- Ray Rd > Chandler Blvd > Pecos; that's a great loop. The only slightly sketch part is Broadway as it can get pretty busy so get out early. This is all assuming that you're staying right downtown Phoenix too.
2013-06-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Thanks for the advice! I am staying right across the street from the convention center as that is where I will be all week. I only have to be there starting at 11 in the morning until about midnight every night so i have plenty of time in the morning to get out and get a ride in. What exactly are these "towers" that you are talking about? is this just some large hills or are they a bike path? I have to get permission from my boss for safety reasons so that i am able to go out on these routes and that would help a lot! How long of a route is that as well? I would like to be able to get 2-3 hours every morning in followed by a decent run.
2013-06-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Phoenix AZ
Originally posted by TeamAndyBU

Thanks for the advice! I am staying right across the street from the convention center as that is where I will be all week. I only have to be there starting at 11 in the morning until about midnight every night so i have plenty of time in the morning to get out and get a ride in. What exactly are these "towers" that you are talking about? is this just some large hills or are they a bike path? I have to get permission from my boss for safety reasons so that i am able to go out on these routes and that would help a lot! How long of a route is that as well? I would like to be able to get 2-3 hours every morning in followed by a decent run.

the towers are the tv towers at the top of south mountain. from downtown to south mountain park doing san juan road plus the summit road will get you about 40 miles and around 2500ft of elevation gain. the summit is a category 2 climb.

in addition to the options than b mentioned, you might also take washington/jefferson east from downtown phoenix to tempe (appx. 10 miles from downtown), which opens up all kinds of cycling options in tempe, mesa, and scottsdale.

there is endless running downtown, but if you head too far east, west, or south the neighborhoods can get sketchy. i live downtown and mostly run north on central, with detours into the encanto and palmcroft neighborhoods to the west.

enjoy phoenix, and try to stay cool!

Edited by Bunsbert Montcroff 2013-06-19 4:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For sale locally, 2 Thule travel cases

Started by booth22
Views: 1072 Posts: 2

2010-08-02 7:20 PM booth22

Training and traveling

Started by JoeP138
Views: 828 Posts: 3

2010-01-01 11:39 AM gamebofh

Cool Idea: New map paves way for bike-friendly travel

Started by StandsWithFist
Views: 809 Posts: 8

2008-12-12 1:11 PM perkins_jerryw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.

date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.